Post a reply

Re: Hendry will face Jimmy in world qualifiers

Postby Iranu

SnookerFan wrote:I just had it confirmed on Twitter that the Qualifiers are not going to be on the main channel like last year, on the App only.

Seems an odd decision, when Hendry is playing Jimmy.

On Talking Snooker they made a good point that there was probably a lot less sport for Eurosport to show this time last year.

I wish they’d just have it on YouTube again with the roaming commentary, that was the best format.

Postby The_Abbott

SnookerFan wrote:Can you get the Eurosport Player, or App or whatever it's called now, through Amazon Prime?

And if so, do you have to pay extra to get it?

I suspect in a few years time there will be a Barryprime and Hearnflix to watch snooker on.

Postby Iranu

SnookerFan wrote:Can you get the Eurosport Player, or App or whatever it's called now, through Amazon Prime?

You can and yeah it costs extra but it’s like £1.99 a month or something.

Postby SnookerFan

Iranu wrote:

Apparently you can get a week's free trial. Might look at that.

Would seem odd that Hendry vs Jimmy has only online streaming, no actual TV coverage. I guess that's the way of the world these days, isn't it?

Postby Iranu

SnookerFan wrote:
Iranu wrote:

Apparently you can get a week's free trial. Might look at that.

Would seem odd that Hendry vs Jimmy has only online streaming, no actual TV coverage. I guess that's the way of the world these days, isn't it?

I doubt the schedule was sorted with that potential match-up in mind.

Postby Iranu

SnookerFan wrote:https://twitter.com/jvofficialjv/status/1374799341685252104

:chin:

Just me, or is it a bit weird Virgo advertising Eurosport?

Comments say it’s just the app.

Postby mick745

The_Abbott wrote:

The only 2 players Virgo has heard of in the qualifiers

I've not seen much of these two young players....

Postby The_Abbott

One section has the following players:

Lilley, Amiri, Sargarent, Kenna, Jamie Jones, Higginson, Holt, Li Hang.

I mean what a dreadful section. One of these will qualify. Surely Jamie Jones will be returning back to the crucible with his current form?

Postby cupotee

The_Abbott wrote:One section has the following players:

Lilley, Amiri, Sargarent, Kenna, Jamie Jones, Higginson, Holt, Li Hang.

I mean what a dreadful section. One of these will qualify. Surely Jamie Jones will be returning back to the crucible with his current form?

li hang's pretty good , nearly made the scottish open final last december .

Postby SnookerFan

Iranu wrote:

Just me, or is it a bit weird Virgo advertising Eurosport?

Comments say it’s just the app.

It is just the App. Eurosport confirmed it me on Twitter.

It wouldn't amaze me if that changed though. Now that Hendry vs Jimmy has been announced.

Thinking about it, is Virgo still in Spain or wherever it was?

Postby HappyCamper

PR begins. Snooker getting in the broadsheets.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/snooker/202 ... -four/amp/

For Jimmy White, a renewal of rivalries with Stephen Hendry is enough to unleash a flood of memories - but few of them are happy ones.

Both men might now be in their fifties and well past their prime - Hendry only returned to the circuit earlier this month - but their reunion in the first round of qualifying for the Betfred World Championship in April promises to be one of snooker's red-letter occasions.

For White, however, the draw was bittersweet. In four World Championship finals between 1990 and 1994, White was beaten by Hendry: all left scars, although the deepest wounds were inflicted in 1992, when he lost despite being 14-8 ahead, and then 18-17 two years later.

While Hendry clocked up a record seven titles in total, White never did win a world final, although he was crowned the 'People's Champion', with public sympathy cranking up after each apparently impossible defeat.

White's free-spirited playing style was an endearing contrast to Hendry's more clinical approach, but the fact he was just as much a 'Whirlwind' in his private life ultimately proved decisive in denying him a title.

In his own autobiography White, now 58, claimed “I am lucky to be alive…I know drugs probably cost me 10 world titles”.

Speaking after the draw against Hendry, he said: “I have beaten Stephen in the World Championship a couple of times, but unfortunately they aren’t the ones everyone talks about.

“I lost the four finals to him…but in those [early 1990s] days I was giving him a head start of about 10 grams of cocaine and four bottles of Jack Daniels.

“I came very close in winning two of the finals against him. In 1992 I was 14-8 up and getting my winning speech ready, but lost the next 10 frames.

“And then in 1994 I twitched a black in the decider at 17-17. But it is what it is, and I might not have been here if I had won the World Championship the way I was.”

White and Hendry's rivalry was always a friendly one - the Scot had practised with White, six years his senior, when he was just 13, and left an indelible impression even then.

“I knew he was something special straight away and he became one of the greatest players the game has seen,” White added. “I played the majority of my best years against legends, two of the best ever in Steve Davis and Stephen. Steve was a bit more conservative at the table.

“And then there was this fantastic potter Stephen that came along and I had to compete against both. We have had so many battles not only at the World Championship but throughout our careers. And to draw each other at this stage of our careers is very bizarre.”

Either player would need to win four matches to get back to the Crucible. Hendry’s last appearance was in 2012, while White has not got to Sheffield since 2006, but the Londoner’s head is still spinning that fate has taken a hand, and given him a chance of some revenge so late in his career.

“I didn’t even see the draw announced on TV this week, or see it in any email,” he said. “I had just finished practising, turned my phone on and I saw that I had two missed calls from Stephen.

“That on its own wasn’t too strange because we had been practising together recently. But I started thinking he wouldn’t call me twice so quickly like that to arrange a session.

“So I started to suspect what might have happened. I called him back, he said ‘Can you believe that’, and then I knew.

“It is absolutely bizarre, something from the snooker gods for sure. It is one that a lot of people might enjoy and look forward to.

“My closing line to him was that we wouldn’t be having a practice together before that match. But for me, I have found a bit of form and whoever I played, that is what I would be taking into it.

“I know that I will be playing him Tuesday week, and it is all about being ready for that. I haven’t stopped practising for about two or three years now. I'm much more disciplined than I used to be.”

Postby SnookerFan

Yeah, seems baffling that they would stick this match in particular only online. The press are all over this already. There's going to a be a lot of hype.

Being online is alright for us lot, apart from me because I'm thick, but a lot of the oldies who might not be very technically savvy will probably want to watch Hendry vs White, as well. And will also appeal to the casuals, who might not know that the Eurosport App exists, or not realise it isn't being televised until they try to look it up in the TV guide on the day.

It's a much talked about match already, and we're still more than a week away from it. How often does that happen in snooker, especially in the qualifiers?

Postby cupotee

re that hector nunns telegraph link how did that guy ever get a job in snooker , its sad that these media outlets seem to follow each other with no imagination , isn't he a fast tracked american or canadian , must be dozens of british journalists more experienced and knowledgeable than him .

Postby The_Abbott

SnookerFan wrote:Yeah, seems baffling that they would stick this match in particular only online. The press are all over this already. There's going to a be a lot of hype.

Being online is alright for us lot, apart from me because I'm thick, but a lot of the oldies who might not be very technically savvy will probably want to watch Hendry vs White, as well. And will also appeal to the casuals, who might not know that the Eurosport App exists, or not realise it isn't being televised until they try to look it up in the TV guide on the day.

It's a much talked about match already, and we're still more than a week away from it. How often does that happen in snooker, especially in the qualifiers?

I'm thick too. I have Eurosport as part of Sky but dont have Eurosport player or the app and wouldn't have teh foggiest how to get it so I just miss it!

This should be on main TV. They have plenty of space to show repeats of Snooker matches I am sure they could squeeze this in!

Postby Prop

If the BBC are serious about snooker they’ll be doing everything in their power to buy the rights to the match and put it on at least Red Button. I know my parents would love to watch this, and they definitely don’t have the ES Player.

Postby SnookerEd25

Hector Nunns wrote that book about the Crucible’s greatest matches so he must have some interest in and knowledge of the sport.

Personally, however, I found it quite poorly written, and the choice of matches covered was questionable in my opinion. But others may differ.

Postby HappyCamper

cupotee wrote:re that hector nunns telegraph link how did that guy ever get a job in snooker , its sad that these media outlets seem to follow each other with no imagination , isn't he a fast tracked american or canadian , must be dozens of british journalists more experienced and knowledgeable than him .

Doubt many places have a dedicated snooker desk, just not a big enough deal. So probably a bit of and afterthought.

From this interview he was doing football for the Express and they just dumped the crucible gig on him lol. He did get some jollies to China out of it.

Other sports covered
Snooker has ended up being a big work area ever since 11 years ago being thrown the Crucible accreditation form by departing colleague John ‘Tex’ Hennessey at the Daily Express with the words ‘Here you go, you might be needing that’. Has got me to all the great world cities: Beijing, Berlin and Sheffield

http://footballwriters.co.uk/uncategori ... tor-nunns/

Postby Iranu

Hector’s done loads of snooker journalism, he even contributed heavily to Hendon’s old website Inside Snooker. That’s not to say the article’s well-written but he’s an experienced snooker journo. Also bear in mind that being a Telegraph article he’s catering to the casuals more than the likes of us, including people who haven’t watched snooker in 25 years.

Postby SnookerFan

Prop wrote:If the BBC are serious about snooker they’ll be doing everything in their power to buy the rights to the match and put it on at least Red Button. I know my parents would love to watch this, and they definitely don’t have the ES Player.

I wondered about this. I know that there's been Under 21 football tournaments that Eurosport have shown in their entirety, that the BBC have swooped in and shown the final for just because England were in it. (The match broacast on both BBC and Eurosport.)

Depends on how important the BBC think snooker is.

Postby Prop

SnookerFan wrote:Depends on how important the BBC think snooker is.

Yeah, that’s the thing. The signs over the last few years would suggest they’re not too fussed.

Postby SnookerFan

We can't guarantee that Eurosport main channel won't show the snooker qualifiers, just because their Twitter account said that they wouldn't. Changing schedules is a very Eurosport thing to do.

Postby Juddernaut88

I hope there's a way to get the Eurosport app on a smart tv, It would be a lot easier for me to watch it on tv whilst working from home rather than using my phone. I know another option is to mirror screen my phone to tv but it kills the battery and notifications popping up gets annoying.

Postby Iranu

Juddernaut88 wrote:I hope there's a way to get the Eurosport app on a smart tv, It would be a lot easier for me to watch it on tv whilst working from home rather than using my phone. I know another option is to mirror screen my phone to tv but it kills the battery and notifications popping up gets annoying.

You can at least cast it to the TV with AirPlay or ChromeCast. If you have an Amazon Firestick you can also watch it on that.