Post a reply

Re: Top 5 contenders for Worlds 2021

Postby HappyCamper

SteveJJ wrote:
HappyCamper wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:I hate The Crucible Curse.

I want somebody to break it just to end that tedious chat once and for all.

It's okay Jimmy white did it last year at the seniors. So-called Curse is officially over.

Sadly they were his 2nd and 3rd world seniors titles. He won it in 2010, albeit that wasn't at the Crucible. The curse remains. Although no call to mention it this year as it can't be broken.

Reardon and Higgins had been world champs before the Crucible. And they are included in the so called curse.

Postby Juddernaut88

When did people start realising the Crucible curse was a thing then? Did they slowly start mentioning it in the late 80s or early 90s?

Postby Wildey

Juddernaut88 wrote:When did people start realising the Crucible curse was a thing then? Did they slowly start mentioning it in the late 80s or early 90s?

I Think it started in 1991

Stephen Hendry won the UK and Masters that season plus a further 4 ranking title he also won a further 3 tournaments and played in 11 finals in total before the World Championship so he was expected to complete the job and become World Champion and he didn't.

i believe they started looking at it then and see the other all conquering player Steve Davis winning just 1 frame in his first defence and then thereafter every first time winner is facing the curse that fell on Hendry and Davis before them.

Postby GJ

TheRocket wrote:Multi session matches doesnt really suit Robertson. He just gets bogged down. If he would try to play more agressive and quicker he could demolish opponents and run through them but with his ultra careful approach he always loses the plot at some stage.

Its very interesting that his best run at the World came in 2009,2010 and 2014. So all when he was much younger.
In terms of the UK Championship he didnt win the UK during the multi session era and only won after Hearn got rid of the multi session format.

:hatoff: :lol:

Postby TheRocket

GJ wrote:
TheRocket wrote:Multi session matches doesnt really suit Robertson. He just gets bogged down. If he would try to play more agressive and quicker he could demolish opponents and run through them but with his ultra careful approach he always loses the plot at some stage.

Its very interesting that his best run at the World came in 2009,2010 and 2014. So all when he was much younger.
In terms of the UK Championship he didnt win the UK during the multi session era and only won after Hearn got rid of the multi session format.

welcome back but my point still stands despite Robertsons impressive win at the Tour Championship. Hasnt gotten to the one table stage at the Worlds since 2014 and has only won one World title which was way back in 2010. Didnt win the UK when it was in multi session format either.

Postby GeF

There is only one contender : The guy who will defeat Un-Nooh.

Teppy reach 3 times the Crucible (2018/19/20)

Last year he loses to O Sullivan, 2 years ago it was against Trump and before against Higgins.
Ok, Higgins was finalist only, the exception to the rule.

Postby Andre147

TheRocket wrote:
GJ wrote:

welcome back but my point still stands despite Robertsons impressive win at the Tour Championship. Hasnt gotten to the one table stage at the Worlds since 2014 and has only won one World title which was way back in 2010. Didnt win the UK when it was in multi session format either.

Yes, that's why Robbo is 5th favourite, behind Higgins, Selby, O'Sullivan and Trump.

I've seen this all before with him, comes to thee Crucible in great form, then fails to deliver. Until Ronnie reached the one table setup again, something he hadn't done since 2014, I didn't believe he could win it. Now I definately do again.

Robbo the same. Until he actually proves he can reach that stage again, he's never amongst the big favourites.

Postby TheRocket

Andre147 wrote:
Yes, that's why Robbo is 5th favourite, behind Higgins, Selby, O'Sullivan and Trump.

I've seen this all before with him, comes to thee Crucible in great form, then fails to deliver. Until Ronnie reached the one table setup again, something he hadn't done since 2014, I didn't believe he could win it. Now I definately do again.

Robbo the same. Until he actually proves he can reach that stage again, he's never amongst the big favourites.

thats how I see it as well. Imo his form is actually better than its ever been going into the Worlds,better than it was in 2019 but he simply lacks the pedigree and the aura at the Worlds and he has by far the worst record from any elite player.