Postby Acé

Who are yours?

Mine are in order:

1. Judd
2. Selby
3. Ronnie
4. Higgins
5. Robertson

Judd is gonna be the defacto favourite for a while, Selby as he's the younger of Ronnie/Higgins he's bound to be more consistent on the bigger formats than those 2, Ronnie as #3 despite all the losses but he'd work well when he doesn't come in as the favourite, Higgins would be the more stable player over Robertson.

Re: Top 5 contenders for Worlds 2021

Postby eraserhead

Judd
Higgins
Ronnie/Selby
The rest

Robbo has to reach the one table setup for me to consider him a contender with his recent record same with Ding.

Postby Iranu

1. Judd

2. Selby
3. Higgins
4. Ronnie

Robertson’s almost the default fifth favourite but given his 2021 form and his history at the Worlds I reckon he’s some way behind. I still don’t think he’ll win another world title. I don’t think anyone else has shown the form to be considered among the favourites.

Postby 1892

Trump
Ronnie
Higgins
Selby

If Ronnie can avoid Trump I think he’ll win it. Looks like this could be the last Worlds behind closed doors and Ronnie has said if he doesn’t win it this year he doesn’t think he will win it again, so I think if he doesn’t win a 7th this year then he won’t at all.

Postby Acé

1892 wrote:Trump
Ronnie
Higgins
Selby

If Ronnie can avoid Trump I think he’ll win it. Looks like this could be the last Worlds behind closed doors and Ronnie has said if he doesn’t win it this year he doesn’t think he will win it again, so I think if he doesn’t win a 7th this year then he won’t at all.

Opposite for me if ROS reaches the final vs Trump/Higgins/Selby then I think he'll win it, 3/4 losses have come to those 3 players this season and things in sport have a way of turning things back around

Postby Andre147

In this order:

Trump
Ronnie
Selby
Higgins
Robertson

No matter what happens until Sheffield, this order won't change for me.

Postby TheRocket

From the look of things Ronnie will be in the same half as Robbo and Higgins. Judd with Selby.

Robbo and Higgins could meet in the quarters, the winner would play Ronnie.

Postby Andre147

I would definately want a Trump v Selby Worlds Semi-Final.

Would Trump thrash him or would it be a competitive match?

Postby Acé

Ronnie would be #1 seeded as the defending champion, Judd #2 those are set in stone

so atm looking likely for Selby #3 and Robertson #4, Tour Champs could switch these places and Higgins too if he wins the whole thing but Higgins's place is gonna be crucial in the draw if he gets seeded outside Top 4 rankings

Postby Dragonfly

I certainly wouldn't be writing off Robertson. I think he is more of a threat to Trump than Selby or O'Sullivan at the moment. He has shown he can keep up with and defeat Trump in longer matches.

Having said that he struggles against O'Sullivan.

Postby Andre147

Robertson is Trump's main threat I also agree. But they would meet in the Final wouldn't they?

Postby Andre147

TheRocket wrote:Imo Trump is the only player who 100% believes he can beat anyone. Hes playing the table and not the opponent.

Being in your absolute peak helps a lot. Not someone 45 years old.

Postby TheRocket

Andre147 wrote:
TheRocket wrote:Imo Trump is the only player who 100% believes he can beat anyone. Hes playing the table and not the opponent.

Being in your absolute peak helps a lot. Not someone 45 years old.

definitely. Its a sign obviously that you're in your prime.

Postby Running side

Worlds need stamina,Judd,Ronnie, robbo,have it,can Higgins play that good over 2 weeks, myself wouldn't be surprised to see a Chinese player shock everyone. Love to see Ronnie lift it to make it 7.

Postby SnookerEd25

SnookerFan wrote:I will support Ding to win The Crucible every year until he actually does it.

Which, I have long suspected never will.

I thought he won it last year? :chin:

Postby SnookerFan

SnookerEd25 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:I will support Ding to win The Crucible every year until he actually does it.

Which, I have long suspected never will.

I thought he won it last year? :chin:

Yeah. Apart from last year, obviously.

Postby gallantrabbit

eraserhead wrote:Judd
Higgins
Ronnie/Selby
The rest

Robbo has to reach the one table setup for me to consider him a contender with his recent record same with Ding.

Good call. Higgins has the real appetite for it, but I'd still have Judd as favorite.

Postby Acé

Robertson is only a favourite as a place holder/filler for #5

He's no way winning the Worlds, this is the guy who thought Barry Hawkins took a lot out of him last year.