Post a reply

Re: World Seniors Championship 2021

Postby LDS

People go on about his 1985 win so much there's surprisingly few people who realise he was a finalist in 1979.

Also, interestingly, 1979 was also John Virgo's big year for the WSC, coming 3rd. [they had 3rd place play offs back then]

Postby SnookerFan

Juddernaut88 wrote:Did they need to spend this long talking about Dennis Taylor.

They really didn't.

All that really happened was that he's not doing Seniors any more. Big whoop.

Postby 1892

LDS wrote:Oh well, gotta go now, communal viewing of Chernobyl episode 3.

Good series if you haven't seen it yet.

Tremendous series.

Postby badtemperedcyril

LDS wrote:People go on about his 1985 win so much there's surprisingly few people who realise he was a finalist in 1979.

Also, interestingly, 1979 was also John Virgo's big year for the WSC, coming 3rd. [they had 3rd place play offs back then]

Sorry to be pernickety but he came 4th ;)

Also, Steve Davis made his debut in 79, losing to Dennis.

Postby Iranu

SnookerFan wrote:Did Dennis Taylor win in 1985?

They kept that quiet.

You’re recycling me? What happened in that match?

Postby Juddernaut88

Barring plenty of snookers it will be 3-2. Disappointing for Lilley losing 2 in a row. Jimmy playing well now so a lot of pressure on him now.

Postby James Bentley

badtemperedcyril wrote:Also, Steve Davis made his debut in 79, losing to Dennis.

I remember in Steve's (first) autobiography, he said that the only shot of his from this match that the BBC showed was him playing the cue ball directly into a pocket (in missing a thin cut).

Postby badtemperedcyril

James Bentley wrote:
badtemperedcyril wrote:Also, Steve Davis made his debut in 79, losing to Dennis.

I remember in Steve's (first) autobiography, he said that the only shot of his from this match that the BBC showed was him playing the cue ball directly into a pocket (in missing a thin cut).

Haha, yes that's the only shot I've seen him play from it. It was included in that years Entertainer musical video compilation.