Post a reply

Re: World Seniors Championship 2021

Postby Andre147

LDS wrote:Yes, that was the first time I've seen Rob Walker actively try to get away from an interview rather than the player actively trying to get away from a Rob Walker interview!

I like Rob Walker, but some of his interviews tend to be awkward, as he desperately tries to bring emotion from some players, when those very same players clearly don't want to speak about it or show much emotion.

I guess it's his job, but sometimes can be annoying,

Postby Wildey

David Lilley is also in line for a CoC place and a guaranteed £12,500

Postby Empire State Human

Wildey wrote:David Lilley is also in line for a CoC place and a guaranteed £12,500

Has this been confirmed? I wouldn't be surprised if there's a sudden change in criteria, given that the wrong man won.

Postby Wildey

Empire State Human wrote:
Wildey wrote:David Lilley is also in line for a CoC place and a guaranteed £12,500

Has this been confirmed? I wouldn't be surprised if there's a sudden change in criteria, given that the wrong man won.

No its set in Stone now but obviously there are other events higher up the pecking order so he can still miss out

Mark Allen (Defending Champion)
Judd Trump (NI Open, WGP, German Masters, Gibraltar)
Neil Robertson (UK , Tour Champs)
Mark Selby (World Champ, Scottish Open)
Yan Bingtao (Masters)
Ryan Day (Shoot Out)
Jordan Brown (Welsh Open)
John Higgins (Players Champs)
Mark Williams (WST Pro Series)
Kyren Wilson (Championship League)
Shaun Murphy ( world runner up)
David Lilley (World Seniors)

Thats 12 players with 4 more spots but there are 7 events potential before the CoC so Lilley and Ryan Day spots could be reliant on the likes Of Neil, Trump and Selby winning a few.

Postby SnookerFan

I thought that.

We'll see.

Postby Reg Varney

SnookerFan wrote:

I thought that.

We'll see.

Likewise. I always assumed it was a place in the CoC providing either Jimmy or Stephen won.

Also, O'Sullivan hasn't qualified yet. If the Grand Slam of Darts is anything to go by, I wouldn't be surprised in a change of criteria to shoehorn Ronnie in like the way they used to change criteria every year there to get van Barneveld in.

Postby The_Abbott

Wildey wrote:

No its set in Stone now but obviously there are other events higher up the pecking order so he can still miss out

Mark Allen (Defending Champion)
Judd Trump (NI Open, WGP, German Masters, Gibraltar)
Neil Robertson (UK , Tour Champs)
Mark Selby (World Champ, Scottish Open)
Yan Bingtao (Masters)
Ryan Day (Shoot Out)
Jordan Brown (Welsh Open)
John Higgins (Players Champs)
Mark Williams (WST Pro Series)
Kyren Wilson (Championship League)
Shaun Murphy ( world runner up)
David Lilley (World Seniors)

Thats 12 players with 4 more spots but there are 7 events potential before the CoC so Lilley and Ryan Day spots could be reliant on the likes Of Neil, Trump and Selby winning a few.

Also womens world champ too

Its a desperate list when you have teh shootout champ, seniors champ, runner up of the Worlds, the Championshit league, the 3 frame WST Pro series winner <laugh>

It shows that we missed a lot of better tournaments last year.

Postby SnookerEd25

The_Abbott wrote:Well done Lilley. First cup he's taken home since he stole one from Burger KIng

That was never proved :no:

Postby SnookerFan

Reg Varney wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

I thought that.

We'll see.

Likewise. I always assumed it was a place in the CoC providing either Jimmy or Stephen won.

Also, O'Sullivan hasn't qualified yet. If the Grand Slam of Darts is anything to go by, I wouldn't be surprised in a change of criteria to shoehorn Ronnie in like the way they used to change criteria every year there to get van Barneveld in.

Also, it wouldn't surprise me if they found some excuse to let Ronnie in again.

Postby The_Abbott

Juddernaut88 wrote:I forgot Kyren Wilson won it this year, for some reason I thought Mark Williams did lol.

they were both equally bad tournaments that were as similar as identical twins.

Postby SnookerFan

David Lilley denied Jimmy White a third consecutive World Seniors title after a 5-3 win in the final in Sheffield.

The 45-year-old from Washington was playing in the final stages of the event for the first time.

He earned his competitive debut at the Crucible after coming through the initial Q-School qualifying in Reading earlier this year.

Lilley built up a 3-0 lead and although White levelled it at 3-3, Lilley pulled away again for victory.

"I'm a bit speechless, I didn't think I'd get this emotional," he said.

"Jimmy is my hero - he's everyone's hero. I really don't know what to say; I'm just so happy."

Lilley eliminated Philip Williams, Ken Doherty and Patrick Wallace on his way to the final.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/snooker/57052279

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

Reg Varney wrote:Likewise. I always assumed it was a place in the CoC providing either Jimmy or Stephen won.

They brought in a five year qualification for winning a World Championship just so Ted Hankey would get in. And in that case they were right to do it.

Postby SnookerEd25

Dan-cat wrote:Still plenty of spits left for the CoC and as number 3 and five time finalist this season it would be strange to not give a spot to Ronnie.

Does McManuFan get in for winning ThinkPink? :chin:

Postby Iranu

Dan-cat wrote:Still plenty of spots left for the CoC and as number 3 and five time finalist this season it would be strange to not give a spot to Ronnie.

It’s not Champion of Runners-up though.

I’d rather they went down to Amateur champions etc before using the rankings.

Postby GeF

They should play the "runner-up of runner-up" between O Sullivan and Lisowski (8 finals without a win).
At least one should win a final.