Post a reply

Re: Cazoo Tour Championship Final !!!

Postby SnookerFan

Bluestraw wrote:I think Neil made an excellent point tonight about the lack of crowd. Ronnie hasn't won any of the finals he's played without crowds - and indeed who knows how many of this year's matches would have been different in that case.

I wonder if his lack of 'inspired play' in the evening sessions at finals - which has been a trademark - is because he hadn't had that immense buzz that a crowd gave him. He delivered on the final day at the World's in front of a crowd. Also, his opponents may have dipped their form if they had to deal with external influences...

I doubt it.

He won The Crucible with no crowd. (Except for a few fans in the final, I guess.) Also, if the lack of crowds were that big a deal to him, would he keep making finals? There's no fans in for any of the matches, it's not a problem that's unique to the final. Why would he be fine with it all tournament, then suddenly have a problem for the last session of the last match of the week?

Whenever Ronnie reaches a few finals and loses them, this forum has a habit of overthinking it.

Postby 1892

Yeah, he’s just going through a bad spell.

He’s met Judd, Selby (when he was clearly not putting any practice in), Brown (no excuse really), Higgins (who was tremendous) and Robbo who was also tremendous in finals. It isn’t like he’s lost to players like Bingham and Hawkins in these finals.

Postby SnookerFan

No disrespect to Jordan Brown, but I'd say losing to Hawkins and Bingham would be less of a surprise than Ronnie losing to Jordan.

As much as this forum seems to like pretending that it isn't true, Bingham is a former World Champion, and multiple time ranking event winner. Hawkins doesn't quite have that pedigree, but has won ranking events in the past and knocked Judd out of the tournament this week. (And played very well until right near the end against Ronnie too.) Neither of those wins would've been as big a surprise as losing to Jordan Brown, let's be honest here.

Jordan played very well, and deserved his win, but he was a bigger underdog against Ronnie than the other two would've been.

Postby 1892

Fair point. I used them examples as Ronnie usually has the beating of them both.

I couldn’t see Ronnie losing a final against either of them this season, despite his poor form in finals.

Postby TheRocket

1892 wrote:Yeah, he’s just going through a bad spell.

He’s met Judd, Selby (when he was clearly not putting any practice in), Brown (no excuse really), Higgins (who was tremendous) and Robbo who was also tremendous in finals. It isn’t like he’s lost to players like Bingham and Hawkins in these finals.

Higgins and Robbo played amazing but problem from Rons point of view is that he pretty much played his worst Snooker when it matters the most. In this match against Robbo he competed well in the first session but in the 2nd session he disappeared. His pot success was like 50%. I'm sure Robbo would have won anyway btw but didnt expect Ronnie to deterioate that much and get beat so easily.

He definitely needs to win a title soon and these final defeats must really hurt him. He is not Lisowski or Gilbert. We're talking about the greatest player or one of the two greatest of all time. Hope he can win a 7th World title.

Postby SnookerFan

TheRocket wrote:He definitely needs to win a title soon and these final defeats must really hurt him. He is not Lisowski or Gilbert. We're talking about the greatest player or one of the two greatest of all time. Hope he can win a 7th World title.

Or what?

He's already won 37 ranking events, is it? Including The World Championship six times. And The Masters 60 squillion times. Let's assume for a second that he never wins a ranking event again, so what? His status as the GOAT is assured anyway.

I'm not suggesting that Ronnie shouldn't want to win trophies again, and I'd be surprised if he didn't. But in terms of legacy, he doesn't need to win anything else.

If anything coming into The Crucible, I'd say the man who just beat him Robertson needs another Crucible win more than Ronnie does. For somebody with such a glittering career, one Crucible win more than a decade ago seems sparse. Especially as even making the semis since his win has been difficult for him.

Postby TheRocket

I dont mean it in terms of Ronnie career stats or legacy. Of course thats assured. But from a mental point of view you obviously dont want to keep losing in finals. Even if you're the greatest of all time it certainly cant be good for your confidence to lose 5 finals in a single season.

And I agree about Robbo. Of course he needs the World title more. Would be a major disappointment for him if he ends up with only one World title.

Postby Holden Chinaski

SnookerFan wrote:
TheRocket wrote:He definitely needs to win a title soon and these final defeats must really hurt him. He is not Lisowski or Gilbert. We're talking about the greatest player or one of the two greatest of all time. Hope he can win a 7th World title.

Or what?

He's already won 37 ranking events, is it? Including The World Championship six times. And The Masters 60 squillion times. Let's assume for a second that he never wins a ranking event again, so what? His status as the GOAT is assured anyway.

I'm not suggesting that Ronnie shouldn't want to win trophies again, and I'd be surprised if he didn't. But in terms of legacy, he doesn't need to win anything else

:goodpost:

Postby mick745

SnookerFan wrote:

Or what?

I'm not suggesting that Ronnie shouldn't want to win trophies again, and I'd be surprised if he didn't. But in terms of legacy, he doesn't need to win anything else.

If anything coming into The Crucible, I'd say the man who just beat him Robertson needs another Crucible win more than Ronnie does. For somebody with such a glittering career, one Crucible win more than a decade ago seems sparse. Especially as even making the semis since his win has been difficult for him.

One day a win will be his last, we dont know when that'll be and we wont realise it at the time.

It is possible it has already happened.

The inevitability of sport is that greats become former greats.

Postby SnookerFan

I didn't say that it wasn't possible that the World Championship 2020 was his last win, just that I'd be surprised if he didn't win something again. The fact that he keeps making finals shows that he's still playing to at least a fairly decent standard.

Higgins hadn't won anything in yonks, and had lost a lot of finals before playing out of his skin at the Players Championships. So it's certainly possible for Ronnie.

We're all guessing at the end of the day, aren't we? But it's a conversation that we seem to have a lot for Ronnie. People were discussing how it was unlikely that he'd ever win The Crucible again, before he won The Crucible.

Postby SnookerFan

Holden Chinaski wrote:The fact that Ronnie is still reaching so many finals proves he's still playing great. He will win more titles.

That would also be my guess.

But, y'know, we've got to pretend the world is ending because Ronnie lost some finals.

Postby TheRocket

draw will be very important at the Worlds. A lot of dangerous people you can meet in the 1st round this season. With Bingham another one added to that list.

Postby TheRocket

Juddernaut88 wrote:Bingham and Carter the obvious names to avoid in the 1st round. Although Carter surprisingly didn't qualify last year.

People like Dott or Perry could be dangerous as well. They have the experience and are good enough to perform well in the 1st round. And Dott obviously won the title in 2006.

Postby Acé

Iranu wrote:Yes, he was the same player then. Robbo’s been the same player for years. He’s not a Judd who improved 3x two years ago.

He’ll probably draw Bingham in the first round and lose to him.

No he wasn't. Robertson has improved dramatically as a player from 2016-2018 where he only won 3 ranking tournaments in total from a span of 3 years and 2 of those were small tournaments like the Riga Masters, the other required a choke from Cao to win

that's nothing like the player he is now

2019-2021 Robertson is a far better player technically and mentally than he was years ago, not only is he winning so many more tournaments by beating the top players he's also never been this consistent in his life reaching so many finals from 2019

Postby TheRocket

have to agree with Ace. Robertson since 2019 is playing as well as he has ever done in his career. Imo even better than the one who made the 100 centuries in 13/14.

As good as he was back then I cant recall that many matches where Robertson was capable of producing that kind of sustained high level in multi session matches against the elite players.

His best form is very scary atm and the way he played in the CoC final 2019 and this one was as good as it gets really. The raw numbers clearly prove it.
Last edited by TheRocket on 29 Mar 2021, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Juddernaut88

Holden Chinaski wrote:This is an actual picture of MDG trying to appear positive when he was watching the final yesterday:

rofl

Postby Acé

TheRocket wrote:have to agree with Ace. Robertson since 2019 is playing as well as he has ever done in his career. Imo even better than the one who made the 100 centuries in 13/14.

As good as he was back then I cant recall that many matches where Robertson was capable of producing that kind of sustained high level in multi session matches against the elite players.

His best form is very scary atm and the way he played in the CoC final 2019 and this one was as good as it gets really. The raw numbers clearly prove it.

Exactly, 13/14 he was good then he dipped, look at these results between 2015-2018, in 4 years only 4 ranking tournaments, UK being the more impressive

Now look at the crazy UPSWING from 2019, (2021 isn't even done yet) so just from 2 years alone

He's had a second resurgence if you will which I never thought possible

Postby TheRocket

Exactly.

You also have things like his H2H record against Selby. He beat him 4 times in a row, trashing him this time and Selby is in good form this season. Then he has proven to be the toughest opponent for prime Judd over the last 2 years. So its there for everyone to see how well hes playing.

Postby Iranu

Acé wrote:
Exactly, 13/14 he was good then he dipped, look at these results between 2015-2018, in 4 years only 4 ranking tournaments, UK being the more impressive

Now look at the crazy UPSWING from 2019, (2021 isn't even done yet) so just from 2 years alone

He’s been in better form but like I said he’s not a different player. The last two world championships he’s lost matches against players he should have beaten based on form because he got bogged down in tactical, scrappy frames and allowed his opponents to dictate the match. Which is exactly what he’s done for years.

Robbo can’t be considered a favourite for the Worlds until he reaches the one table setup again. We’ve been through all this before with him.

Postby SnookerEd25

Juddernaut88 wrote:Already feeling nervous and excited about The World Championship.

Nervited. I get that a lot...

Postby Bluestraw

SnookerFan wrote:
Bluestraw wrote:I think Neil made an excellent point tonight about the lack of crowd. Ronnie hasn't won any of the finals he's played without crowds - and indeed who knows how many of this year's matches would have been different in that case.

I wonder if his lack of 'inspired play' in the evening sessions at finals - which has been a trademark - is because he hadn't had that immense buzz that a crowd gave him. He delivered on the final day at the World's in front of a crowd. Also, his opponents may have dipped their form if they had to deal with external influences...

I doubt it.

He won The Crucible with no crowd. (Except for a few fans in the final, I guess.) Also, if the lack of crowds were that big a deal to him, would he keep making finals? There's no fans in for any of the matches, it's not a problem that's unique to the final. Why would he be fine with it all tournament, then suddenly have a problem for the last session of the last match of the week?

Whenever Ronnie reaches a few finals and loses them, this forum has a habit of overthinking it.

I'm not saying it's the fundamental reason, but others have mentioned his history of an 'inspired play' evening session in finals. I just suspect he would produce that more in front of a crowd.

As you say, could well just be over-thinking ;-)

Postby Andre147

Iranu wrote:
Acé wrote:

He’s been in better form but like I said he’s not a different player. The last two world championships he’s lost matches against players he should have beaten based on form because he got bogged down in tactical, scrappy frames and allowed his opponents to dictate the match. Which is exactly what he’s done for years.

Robbo can’t be considered a favourite for the Worlds until he reaches the one table setup again. We’ve been through all this before with him.

Until he reaches one table setup again, he's 5th favourite for me.

Same with Ronnie... until Ronnie reached the one table setup again, something he hadn't done since 2014, I didn't believe he could win it again. Now I do.