Post a reply

Re: Cazoo Players Championship Semi Finals !!!

Postby Iranu

masterdoctorgenius wrote:
Iranu wrote:I don’t think you can judge how Ronnie will start tomorrow based on his previous finals. Especially the ones before Christmas. That was basically a Ronnie imposter getting to the NI and Scottish finals.

I just hope he sticks to what he said about not going for a run rofl

did he say that he wont go for a run? yesterday he said he wont stop cause it makes him feel happy

He said “maybe I won’t have one before the final”.

I mean surely he could just not do 9 miles if he feels he has to do something!

Postby mantorok

I love this rubbish. Two of the biggest rivals of the game and because it’s a final we still don’t have a clue how it’s going to pan out tomorrow. Despite what we’ve witnessed so far.

Postby eraserhead

mantorok wrote:I love this rubbish. Two of the biggest rivals of the game and because it’s a final we still don’t have a clue how it’s going to pan out tomorrow. Despite what we’ve witnessed so far.

And as we've seen with Higgins past two matches sometimes it's hard to even get a shot. It could be Higgins sat in his chair for 3-4 frames tomorrow.

Postby Dan-cat

mantorok wrote:I love this rubbish. Two of the biggest rivals of the game and because it’s a final we still don’t have a clue how it’s going to pan out tomorrow. Despite what we’ve witnessed so far.

We have been so spoilt recently. Feels like a golden time for snooker.

Postby Andre147

Yes let's not pretend Higgins will play like this tomorrow.

He might, or ROS might play inspired Snooker and reel off frame winning breaks in quick fire time.

It's a classic final for sure, as much as someone like Wild hates 2 old men contesting such a big final lol.

Postby Dan-cat

Iranu wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:Well it's true. I almost said something yesterday. It is getting a bit tiresome.

I did mention Yates in my post earlier. The general sl*gging of Yates and Studd is incredibly tiresome to me, but they are commentators, play bigger parts and I guess more fair game.

If you don't agree, fine, carry on.

Why are they more fair game? I don’t understand (genuinely).

Imagine people tuning into ITV4 to watch snooker for the first time, and they watch ten minutes of Jill Douglas obviously not knowing or caring about the game? It’s embarrassing for snooker and depressing that ITV continue with her in the role because apparently we don’t deserve better.

I wish they’d have Rishi do it. He’s not great but at least he’s clearly a fan of the game and understands it.

She's just so inconsequential isn't she? To hear her being slagged every match is tiresome. We get it. You don't like her and think she's sh*t. Shall we move on? Not trying to have the last word, was answering your question.

Postby TheRocket

Andre147 wrote:By the way, the combined age in this ranking event final is 90!

A record?

it is. Someone posted it. They also hold the record for the youngest combined age in ranking event finals with 38 (1995 British Open)
Last edited by TheRocket on 27 Feb 2021, edited 1 time in total.

Postby lhpirnie

Iranu wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:So although Ronnie and Higgins haven't met in a ranking final since 2005, they have met in the final of the Masters and the CoC. Major finals. Exactly the same as Ranking finals in fact if anything higher tariff and more important. This is what I don't get - so much importance is put on 'ranking' finals when the other big non-ranking finals are just as important if not more. Which is more important - The CoC for £300k or one of the Home Nations for £70k?

Yeah, it’s still an interesting stat, though. Even with the Masters and CoC that’s way rarer than you’d think considering how often they’ve been in finals! When you consider how often Ronnie’s met Judd or Selby in finals in that time it’s pretty staggering.

Well, it's interesting in the sense that it does mean they haven't met very often in finals in 15 years. But I think that this arbitrary distinction of 'ranking titles' vs. 'non-ranking' will disappear in the future. The record books will be revised to call them 'major titles' or some such. It's only snooker which has this weird lexicon. I've tried to explain it to people new to snooker and they find it baffling that tournaments like the Masters doesn't count...

Postby Dan-cat

Iranu and I will move past this, thanks for your concern though. <laugh>

Postby mantorok

Dan-cat wrote:

Iranu and I will move past this, thanks for your concern though. <laugh>

Nice one Dan pmsl

Postby Iranu

Dan-cat wrote:She's just so inconsequential isn't she? To hear her being slagged every match is tiresome. We get it. You don't like her and think she's sh*t. Shall we move on? Not trying to have the last word, was answering your question.

But Dan she’s not inconsequential for the reasons I mentioned. She’s the face and voice of ITV snooker and she’s not up to the task and it’s depressing, really.

And I AM trying to have the last word :grrr: <laugh>

Postby McManusFan

I'm going to stick my beak in (sorry). I think it should be fair game to criticize the pundits, commentators and presenters. But at the same time the Jill comments are taking a bit of a nasty tone, and to be frank it's just not that nice to read.

Postby The_Abbott

McManusFan wrote:I'm going to stick my beak in (sorry). I think it should be fair game to criticize the pundits, commentators and presenters. But at the same time the Jill comments are taking a bit of a nasty tone, and to be frank it's just not that nice to read.

Maybe shes read some comments (not on here but on SM). She has probably lost some confidence. Normally I don't notice these things personally, unless they are really basic errors, which the last two times I have watched her she has made. I don't normally watache the waffle from pundits but had it on in the background today.

Tomorrows a new day so hopefully we will be talking about the snooker on the table.

Postby The_Abbott

Iranu wrote:
The_Abbott wrote:Jill making way too many mistakes lately

Every thread. Stop it.

Just to point out this is my very first post about Jill in teh years I have been on here ;-)

Postby Cloud Strife

The_Abbott wrote:
Iranu wrote:
The_Abbott wrote:Jill making way too many mistakes lately

Every thread. Stop it.

Just to point out this is my very first post about Jill in teh years I have been on here ;-)

Still one, too many. Stop it. Now.

Postby chengdufan

SnookerFan wrote:My stream is a bit behind.

Make sure you're stood up. Then hold and point. If the problem persists, seek medical advice.

Postby Reg Varney

Can't say I have noticed a nasty tone regarding the criticism of Jill, however I think criticism is justifiably deserved after that howler, not once, but twice, about Higgins "beating Mark Williams". And it has hardly been her only one this week.

I gave her the benefit of the doubt when she mentioned it the first time, but then saying it again as she is interviewing Higgins smacks of someone who doesn't really care and hasn't even taken the time to prepare properly. I have seen her cover both the Cycling and Rugby so know she is more than capable, however it is clear she has interest in those sports and has very little, if any, in Snooker.

Postby Reg Varney

SnookerFan wrote:When did she think Higgins had beaten Williams?

During this tournament and she said it twice yesterday. Most noticeably when she was interviewing John after his win over Kyren and Higgins had to correct her that he's not played Mark and it was Jordan Brown he beat in the first round.
Last edited by Reg Varney on 28 Feb 2021, edited 1 time in total.

Postby HappyCamper

Holden Chinaski wrote:To be fair, don't we go on and on about Phil yates as well?

Studdsy too. Taylor when he's on. Should be renamed snooker commentator hate island really.

Postby SnookerFan

Reg Varney wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:When did she think Higgins had beaten Williams?

During this tournament and she said it twice yesterday. Most noticeably when she was interviewing John after his win over Kyren and Higgins had to correct her that he's not played Mark and it was Jordan Brown he beat in the first round.

To be fair, it's easy to mix up Mark Williams and Jordan Brown.