Post a reply

Re: Cazoo Players Championship Semi Finals !!!

Postby Iranu

Dan-cat wrote:
Iranu wrote:Jill you bucking idiot.

Every match. multiple posts slaying her. stop it.

Warn me if you want, but I’ll call her dreadful for as long as she remains dreadful. And considering you tried to goad me into it earlier I’m not sure how you can now be annoyed about it.

For what it’s worth, I’ve mentioned Jill twice in this thread: once saying she’d said Higgins had played Williams and calling that a basic error, and once calling her an idiot for repeating it to John just now. Technically multiple posts but hardly the several that you’re giving the impression of.

Postby eraserhead

D4P wrote:Ronnie and Higgins have each lost their last 3 ranking finals...

Both in need of a big win. Higgins probably more so but Ronnie's recent finals have been embarrassing.

Postby Cloud Strife

Iranu wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:

Warn me if you want, but I’ll call her dreadful for as long as she remains dreadful. And considering you tried to goad me into it earlier I’m not sure how you can now be annoyed about it.

For what it’s worth, I’ve mentioned Jill twice in this thread: once saying she’d said Higgins had played Williams and calling that a basic error, and once calling her an idiot for repeating it to John just now. Technically multiple posts but hardly the several that you’re giving the impression of.

rofl

Postby Dan-cat

Iranu wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:

I wasn't goading you, I was hoping you might get the hint. Do you think it's reasonable to tourist her off in every match thread?

Postby Andre147

D4P wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

So, you're saying that neither will win tomorrow?

One of them will lose 4 consecutive ranking finals for the first time in their career, something that certain other greats of the game including Hendry, Selby, and Trump have never done.

Your point being?

Even if Ronnie loses 4 in a row, he's the world champ, thats all it matters.

But hoping for his first title this season.

Postby Dan-cat

So although Ronnie and Higgins haven't met in a ranking final since 2005, they have met in the final of the Masters and the CoC. Major finals. Exactly the same as Ranking finals in fact if anything higher tariff and more important. This is what I don't get - so much importance is put on 'ranking' finals when the other big non-ranking finals are just as important if not more. Which is more important - The CoC for £300k or one of the Home Nations for £70k?

Postby D4P

Andre147 wrote:
D4P wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

One of them will lose 4 consecutive ranking finals for the first time in their career, something that certain other greats of the game including Hendry, Selby, and Trump have never done.

Your point being?

Just a piece of trivia.

Postby McManusFan

Dan-cat wrote:So although Ronnie and Higgins haven't met in a ranking final since 2005, they have met in the final of the Masters and the CoC. Major finals. Exactly the same as Ranking finals in fact if anything higher tariff and more important. This is what I don't get - so much importance is put on 'ranking' finals when the other big non-ranking finals are just as important if not more. Which is more important - The CoC for £300k or one of the Home Nations for £70k?

As far as rankings are concerned, it's the ranking finals that are more important.

Postby Andre147

D4P wrote:
Andre147 wrote:
D4P wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

Your point being?

Just a piece of trivia.

Yes, and thats true what you wrote.

Hopefully Ron comes out the winner side.

Postby mantorok

Dan-cat wrote:
Iranu wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:

I wasn't goading you, I was hoping you might get the hint. Do you think it's reasonable to tourist her off in every match thread?

https://youtu.be/yQHhqDRn4_c

Postby Iranu

Dan-cat wrote:I wasn't goading you, I was hoping you might get the hint. Do you think it's reasonable to tourist her off in every match thread?

I don’t believe you, to be honest.

And do you think I don’t wish she wasn’t terrible? She affects my enjoyment of the otherwise exemplary ITV coverage and she hasn’t improved in eight years. I don’t revel in it but I’m also not going to ignore it.

The mistake she made was poor, particularly considering she has notes in front of her, and she deserves to be criticised for it. And she makes similar mistakes every day.

Other people in snooker broadcasting are criticised just as much despite being less deserving of it. Where are all the demands to stop criticising Studd? Or Yates?

Postby Iranu

Dan-cat wrote:So although Ronnie and Higgins haven't met in a ranking final since 2005, they have met in the final of the Masters and the CoC. Major finals. Exactly the same as Ranking finals in fact if anything higher tariff and more important. This is what I don't get - so much importance is put on 'ranking' finals when the other big non-ranking finals are just as important if not more. Which is more important - The CoC for £300k or one of the Home Nations for £70k?

Yeah, it’s still an interesting stat, though. Even with the Masters and CoC that’s way rarer than you’d think considering how often they’ve been in finals! When you consider how often Ronnie’s met Judd or Selby in finals in that time it’s pretty staggering.
Last edited by Iranu on 27 Feb 2021, edited 1 time in total.

Postby TheRocket

not sure if Higgins can play like this again in the final because he's lost a few finals in recent time but if he does Ronnie has to play perfect Snooker from start to finish thats for sure.

Its not just that Higgins doesnt give you easy chances. He also wins frames in one visit consistently which he hasnt been doing for a long time.

Postby Dan-cat

Well it's true. I almost said something yesterday. It is getting a bit tiresome.

I did mention Yates in my post earlier. The general sl*gging of Yates and Studd is incredibly tiresome to me, but they are commentators, play bigger parts and I guess more fair game.

If you don't agree, fine, carry on.

Postby Dan-cat

Iranu wrote:

Yeah, it’s still an interesting stat, though. Even with the Masters and CoC that’s way rarer than you’d think considering how often they’ve been in finals! When you consider how often Ronnie’s met Judd or Selby in finals in that time it’s pretty staggering.

Yeah but it's Higgin's fault isn't it... Although he stayed in the top 16 all this time, often several seasons have gone by with him being a title challenger.

Postby Cloud Strife

TheRocket wrote:not sure if Higgins can play like this again in the final because he's lost a few finals in recent time but if he does Ronnie has to play perfect Snooker from start to finish thats for sure.

Its not just that Higgins doesnt give you easy chances. He also wins frames in one visit consistently which he hasnt been doing for a long time.

It is dangerous to assume Higgins can't play like this again in the final. As an all-time great, he is more than capable of maintaining peak form through the entirety of a tournament.

I just hope Ronnie comes out all guns blazing and doesn't go into his shell, as he sometimes tends to do against Higgins.

Postby eraserhead

TheRocket wrote:not sure if Higgins can play like this again in the final because he's lost a few finals in recent time but if he does Ronnie has to play perfect Snooker from start to finish thats for sure.

Depends on how both play on the day but if he starts hitting really bad safety shots and Higgins goes 2-3 frames ahead I can see him going kamikazee. His overall game doesn't look sharp enough if Higgins plays close to this.

Finals a different day though and Ronnie's the type to take inspiration from this type of performance.

Postby Cloud Strife

eraserhead wrote:

Depends on how both play on the day but if he starts hitting really bad safety shots and Higgins goes 2-3 frames ahead I can see him going kamikazee. His overall game doesn't look sharp enough if Higgins plays close to this.

Finals a different day though and Ronnie's the type to take inspiration from this type of performance.

Needs to start well. The start he had yesterday against Hawkins isn't going to suffice against Higgins in this sort of form.

Postby Iranu

Dan-cat wrote:Well it's true. I almost said something yesterday. It is getting a bit tiresome.

I did mention Yates in my post earlier. The general sl*gging of Yates and Studd is incredibly tiresome to me, but they are commentators, play bigger parts and I guess more fair game.

If you don't agree, fine, carry on.

Why are they more fair game? I don’t understand (genuinely).

Imagine people tuning into ITV4 to watch snooker for the first time, and they watch ten minutes of Jill Douglas obviously not knowing or caring about the game? It’s embarrassing for snooker and depressing that ITV continue with her in the role because apparently we don’t deserve better.

I wish they’d have Rishi do it. He’s not great but at least he’s clearly a fan of the game and understands it.

Postby TheRocket

eraserhead wrote:

I was thinking that actually. I think the way Higgins freezes out opponents and doesnt give them easy chances Ronnie has to do something different to put Higgins out of his comfort zone. To play very quick and agressive is the solution. He did in the 2019 CoC. It doesnt have to be Kamikaze but controlled agression.
Last edited by TheRocket on 27 Feb 2021, edited 1 time in total.

Postby eraserhead

Cloud Strife wrote:Needs to start well. The start he had yesterday against Hawkins isn't going to suffice against Higgins in this sort of form.

His recent finals tell a story. He's good enough to get to finals with his experience and scoring, but against a Brown, Trump, Selby and maybe this time Higgins it's not going to be good enough.

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

Iranu wrote:

They seem to play each every tournament around 09/10 but it was always in the semis or earlier.

Postby Iranu

I don’t think you can judge how Ronnie will start tomorrow based on his previous finals. Especially the ones before Christmas. That was basically a Ronnie imposter getting to the NI and Scottish finals.

I just hope he sticks to what he said about not going for a run rofl

Postby masterdoctorgenius

Iranu wrote:I don’t think you can judge how Ronnie will start tomorrow based on his previous finals. Especially the ones before Christmas. That was basically a Ronnie imposter getting to the NI and Scottish finals.

did he say that he wont go for a run? yesterday he said he wont stop cause it makes him feel happy

Postby mantorok

Iranu wrote:I don’t think you can judge how Ronnie will start tomorrow based on his previous finals. Especially the ones before Christmas. That was basically a Ronnie imposter getting to the NI and Scottish finals.

He had a run today so hopefully he won’t.

Postby Andre147

Ronnie wants to beat his main rival, he will prepare properly tomorrow dont worry.

Should he win the final or not, that's a different matter. But he'll try 100%.

Postby eraserhead

TheRocket wrote:I was thinking that actually. I think the way Higgins freezes out opponents and doesnt give them easy chances Ronnie has to do something different to put Higgins out of his comfort zone. To play very quick and agressive is the solution. He did in the 2019 CoC. It doesnt have to be Kamikaze but controlled agression.

Well capable of changing a match by not doing the conventional. It might not pay off if he goes for some reckless shots but I don't see him out safetying Higgins over two sessions, so I hope he goes for his shots.

Ronnie's potting will be the most important thing tomorrow. If he isn't getting the ones with his hand on the table and whites around the baulk line he'll struggle.