Post a reply

Re: Cazoo Players Championship Last 16 !!!

Postby Iranu

LDS wrote:cool match, but William's misses increased each frame as the match went on, which is common for him now

Took on too many low percentage shots.

Postby Andre147

SnookerEd25 wrote:
Andre147 wrote:What shots did Spencer invent?

Dump shot was by Cliff Thorburn if I recall. Unless it's another one,

I believe Clive credited him with the stun-run-through, and deep screw shots with lots of side. From what I've seen, and i've been watching quite a bit of 70s stuff recently, he was also one of the most eager (and I include Alex Higgins in this) to get the reds split early; most of that era were content to pick off open reds, and nudge more out as they went along. John liked to smash into them off the black, and give himself plenty options to break-build.

Thanks.

I havent seen much of Spencer, there's not many footage of him on Youtube, unlike other players from that era when you can find plenty of matches.

Postby Andre147

TheRocket wrote:its a shame the 2009 WC match between Higgins and Selby is not on youtube anymore. That was an incredible match.

One of the best I've seen at The Crucible.

Postby hendry_fan

Dan-cat wrote:The Strangler

Brilliant!!!

Good evenin Sir Dan- :cat:

Ta very much.Not bad eh!.hendry_fan finaly makes a decent contribution to SI again. :happy: :-D

Damn meetin went on n buckin on!. :grrr:

BUCKINBL**DYNORA!!!!.Higgins dishes out even more than a spanking!,he whitewashes the fresh crowned Welsh open Champ!,The Strangler!.6-0!, :happy: :clap:

Did,nt even get a pinky on Great auld John haggis today,never mind bein able to strangle him. <laugh>

FIVE 50+ers from John today,3 of them centurys,(the 3 were in a row as well!).

What a pity i did,nt see the match live.Yet another match that i,ll watch on a rainy day. :-D

I was correct with my prediction in the Selby match.

Selbs was also in a scoreing frenzy.No century,but threw FIVE 60+ers at the Welsh Open Semi-Finalist 2021!. :clap:

Postby hendry_fan

McManusFan wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:The Strangler

Brilliant!!!

I think that one is going to stick. What a great nickname, tons better than the Antrim Ferarri.

Ta MMF. <ok>

Postby LDS

Andre147 wrote:
SnookerEd25 wrote:
Andre147 wrote:What shots did Spencer invent?

Dump shot was by Cliff Thorburn if I recall. Unless it's another one,

I believe Clive credited him with the stun-run-through, and deep screw shots with lots of side. From what I've seen, and i've been watching quite a bit of 70s stuff recently, he was also one of the most eager (and I include Alex Higgins in this) to get the reds split early; most of that era were content to pick off open reds, and nudge more out as they went along. John liked to smash into them off the black, and give himself plenty options to break-build.

Thanks.

I havent seen much of Spencer, there's not many footage of him on Youtube, unlike other players from that era when you can find plenty of matches.

Yes, when I was compiling my video, one of the biggest sadnesses was not being able to find a decent frame by John Spencer in his prime. Like many from that era I had to settle for one of his first round slow-poke matches against Eddie Charlton from the mid-80s.

And this is the case for many of the stars of the 70s who peaked just before the cameras starting being a bit more ever-present in the Steve Davis era.

We sadly lack Cliff Thorburn in his youth, David Taylor likewise, most of John Spencer's peak, Rex Williams getting past the first round, Fred Davis kicking donkey in his 60s, pretty much all of Graham Miles' good bits, Patsy Fagan doing well on the circuit, Eddie Charlton not partaking in a safety exchange or just shaking hands with the winner, Ray Reardon slowly devouring all before him and even Willie Thorne with hair, and all that good stuff.

There's some nice highlights programmes from the late 70s, but most of them spend so much time on Higgins' matches that barely anyone else gets a shout. A bit like how today the tele always shows Ronnie. Only in those days they didn't even bother filming the other tables in most cases.

Postby SnookerEd25

John Pulman too - very little footage of him playing unfortunately, but at least his plum tones in the commentary box are still there to be heard in much of the 80s ITV footage