Post a reply

Re: BetVictor Welsh Open Last 64 !!!!!

Postby LDS

Another good day for the seeds with three of the eight sections all being contested purely by the expected seeded top 32 players in the last 32.

Those departing today were:

Ding Junhui (9) - Section 2
Gary Wilson (21) - Section 3
Zhao Xintong (30) - Section 5
Graeme Dott (22) - Section 6

Section 1, 7 and 8 all remain as seed.
Section 2, 3 and are at 50% seeds
Section 4 - no seeds
Section 5 and 6 at 75%

13/16 top 16s remain and look to make the last 16
9/16 17-32'ers made their expected last 32 spot
10 33+ seeds remain beyond expectation, although 2 of those are old pros Mark King and Ricky Walden

The two most unlikely candidates left in are both ranked in the 80s and are:

Pang Junxu and Jordan Brown, both of whom have the extreme luxury of playing other non-seeded 33+'ers.

Meaning there will be a guaranteed 3 non-seeded players in the last 16. If all 13 remaining top 16'ers get through, that would be unusually neat.

Postby LDS

Quite enjoyed Trump's match today, young Si has a very entertaining style of play and looks to be more 'western' in his style than the usual Chinese fair, and more of a loud crashy potter than his dainty appearance belies.

However, by the third frame it had become too frustrating watching him squander so many chances and I started skipping forward in the stream. He made a really nice break to get back to 3-2, but one break doesn't win a contest.

Once again, maybe one to watch for sure.

Postby Andre147

There's many chinese players we say "one to watch".

At the moment, only Bingtao is doing the business. I would like Yuelong and Xintong to follow his footsteps too.

Postby Dan-cat

LDS wrote:Quite enjoyed Trump's match today, young Si has a very entertaining style of play and looks to be more 'western' in his style than the usual Chinese fair, and more of a loud crashy potter than his dainty appearance belies.

However, by the third frame it had become too frustrating watching him squander so many chances and I started skipping forward in the stream. He made a really nice break to get back to 3-2, but one break doesn't win a contest.

Once again, maybe one to watch for sure.

Agreed, I enjoyed watching him play today.

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:
FoulNMiss wrote:Well snooker is a simple game with 22 balls and at the end, John Higgins wins. What did I just see ?!

Hahaha it was a strange one

What happened?

Postby hendry_fan

Dammit!,pity i did,nt witness John beating Ben LIVE last night!. :-( Couldnae watch the match last night,had to do summit with the Missus. :evilgrin:

I,ll watch the decider on a rainy day. :rain:

I read here that John needed a snooker in the decider and that he won the decider by 2 points!,WOWWWW!.

Well done John!,n well done to Scott as well in beatin Greene. :clap: :happy:

Postby HappyCamper

Andre147 wrote:There's many chinese players we say "one to watch".

At the moment, only Bingtao is doing the business. I would like Yuelong and Xintong to follow his footsteps too.

That's a bit harsh on Zhou. He been playing consistently better than Yan this season and is in a good position to qualify for the tour championship. But for his decision to skip the worlds during the pandemic would probably be top 16 too.

Zhao has indeed frustratingly plateaued.

Postby Andre147

masterdoctorgenius wrote:
Andre147 wrote:If Higgins wins this one he might well go on to win the tournament.

lost the next match

Dead man syndrome it's called.

Often those type of wins when you should have lost lead to a player winning the title. Not this time though.

Postby masterdoctorgenius

Andre147 wrote:
Andre147 wrote:If Higgins wins this one he might well go on to win the tournament.

lost the next match

Often those type of wins when you should have lost lead to a player winning the title. Not this time though.

Yeah happens a lot. Like Wenbo missed match ball vs Ronnie at the masters in R1 and Ronnie would go on to win the tournament.

Postby Dan-cat

Andre147 wrote:

lost the next match

Reprieved Man Syndrome.

Postby Cloud Strife

Andre147 wrote:

lost the next match

Short man syndrome

Postby Cloud Strife

Andre147 wrote:

lost the next match

Yeah happens a lot. Like Wenbo missed match ball vs Ronnie at the masters in R1 and Ronnie would go on to win the tournament.

Happened a number of times with Ronnie. I remember Joe Perry also once missed match ball in the first round of the Masters, and Ronnie went on to win the tournament.