Post a reply

Re: Betfred Masters Quarter Final: Stephen Maguire v Yan Bin

Postby SnookerFan

Iranu wrote:It’s not just that Yan’s beating ‘ageing players’. It’s that he’s outsmarting them that’s so impressive.

And to make his highest break in potentially one of the biggest frames of his career was more than a lot of you g players would do.

Nobody’s saying he’ll be a record breaker. But it’s undeniable that he's doing extremely well.

:goodpost:

Postby lhpirnie

SnookerEd25 wrote:
LDS wrote:
TheRocket wrote:Was Davis as tactically astute as this guy when he was 20?

Yes

He had to be. Would have struggled to make the impact he did if he wasn’t

Steve Davis played his first professional match around the time of his 21st birthday. Perhaps he was tactically astute as an amateur, but he wasn't having to do it under the TV lights. One of the biggest problems for a young player is to think clearly when playing the big match on TV.

Postby Ck147

LDS wrote:
Andre147 wrote:Robertson in decline?

rofl

Yes, you can see it clearly from his stats:

TC events:

Heyday: Worlds: 08/09 SF, 09/10 W, 10/11 QF, 13/14 SF, 14/15 QF - a genuine shock when he exits at round 1 the two times in between.

Current form: Worlds: no longer expected to get past QFs, even though people still rate him and theoretically he's a top seed 13/14 was his last SF.

Heyday: Masters: Regular finalist 10/11-13/14

Current form: Masters: One SF in the last 6 years, and that wasn't extremely recent.

Heyday: UK: 10/11 - 15/16, regular QF+ with a R4 being a big surprise.

Current form: UK: a surprise win after 4 years of not even making the QFs - and it was a match full of very... 'difficult'... frames.

And not to take anything from any of his wins, he's still a very good player, but we're talking about whether he's 'declining' or not, by his own standard, and yes, he is, it would be unnatural if he wasn't.

As Ronnie says, he's as surprised as anyone that the youngsters aren't already creaming all these old pros.

Coincides with when he turned vegan isn't it? (Honestly not trolling a certain poster.)

Postby Ck147

vodkadiet1 wrote:I am not sure about Maguire shaking hands with Bingtao. Isn't that against current guidelines?

Technically, yes, but they are all tested and negative and living in the MK bubble so probably not a big deal, nice gesture I thought.

Postby vodkadiet1

Ck147 wrote:
vodkadiet1 wrote:I am not sure about Maguire shaking hands with Bingtao. Isn't that against current guidelines?

Technically, yes, but they are all tested and negative and living in the MK bubble so probably not a big deal, nice gesture I thought.

It would have been funny if Bingtao had run away!