Post a reply

Re: Betfred Masters Q Final : Ronnie O'Sullivan v John Higgi

Postby Johnny Bravo

Andre147 wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:So, if I understand this correctly, you spot the white between green and brown. But which part of the pack do you hit (from your body position) ? The right or the left side of the pack (as you look at it) ?

Left side of course.

Interesting. That feels weird to me. I spot the white between yellow and brown and hit the right side of the pack as I look at it, with a lot of right side on it.

Postby vodkadiet1

hendry_fan wrote:A CANNY BELIEVE WHAT I JUST SAW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

ABSOLUTLEY AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

VINTAGE,PRIME JOHN HIGGINS GENTLEMEN N LADIES!!!!!.

GET THE BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK IN THERE LADDIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

:mental: :happy: :mental:

THE WIZARD OF WISHAW PLAYED INCREDIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!.

HE RATTLED IN MONSTER BREAKS OF *145*,*134* and a *110* and an 88!.

The *110* break was fantastic,he ran outta position numerous times,but kept on pottin n pottin n potttttttin!. :party:

Only missed about 4,5 pots,safety was top class,stuggled a bit with positional play,his potting was tremendous,i canny remember seein him play that good,and he did it against Ronnie. :happy: :cracker: :clap:

I will say,hard luck to Ronnie,he played very good himself,his safety towards the end cost him dearly though and the easy peasy red he blobbed in the final frame,well,that was purely due to the pressure the mighty John Higgins put him under.

Juddie,you owe me a few drinks laddie!. :-D :happy:

GREAT AULD JOHN HIGGINS YET AGAIN AMAZES US,WHAT A PERFORMANCE,I,M ABSOLUTLEY BUUUUUUUUUZZZZZZZZZZZZZZIN,IN FACT I,VE GOT TEARS OF JOY IN MY EAGLE EYES. :happy:

Nice summary. But very believable. Higgins at his best nearly always beats O'Sullivan in the more important matches. He just doesn't have the consistency these days that he used to have.

Postby freakmoomin

If higgins plays to even 70% of that in the remaining games he wins the tourney.

Ronnie was shell shocked at the end. Ronnie him self played amazing, its not often he gets beat when he plays like that.

Pity Higgins cant seem to get up for it like that for the "normal" players
Last edited by freakmoomin on 16 Jan 2021, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Prop

I can’t remember the last time I saw Higgins play that well. I’ve seen that level of play from him before, but not in a long time. Even if you take the odd helpful kiss out of the equation, he had Ronnie well beaten by the end. It’s really a rarity to see Ronnie twitch like he did on that missed red. That’s just pressure (to use a Dennisism). And the only time you’ll see Ronnie affected by pressure is when he’s up against an Ivan Drago performance like that.

“Amazing.”

Postby hendry_fan

Iranu wrote:bucking hell, HF actually says “hard luck Ronnie.” He really must be feeling good <laugh>

"feeling good",i was feeling buckin grate mate!. :happy: :-D

Well spotted Iranu btw, <ok> it is rare that i give Ronnie any praise tbh,but don,t expect any more for at least 5 years though pal!!!. :no: <laugh>

Postby Iranu

Funny how much difference small things can make. Not just Higgins getting the bits of rub but also if Ronnie hadn’t landed behind the red after his awesome long pot in the third (?) frame.

Although having said that, Ronnie’s safety wasn’t anywhere near strong enough to cope with Higgins yesterday so I think Higgins would have won regardless.

Postby hendry_fan

Andre147 wrote:
Iranu wrote:bucking hell, HF actually says “hard luck Ronnie.” He really must be feeling good <laugh>

Too drunk more like.

"Too drunk". :shock: :no:

I havenae had a drop o booze for at least 10 weeks,maybe even longer ya dumpling!.

My sober success has been = 100%. :happy: :cracker:

Postby Prop

Iranu wrote:Funny how much difference small things can make. Not just Higgins getting the bits of rub but also if Ronnie hadn’t landed behind the red after his awesome long pot in the third (?) frame.

Although having said that, Ronnie’s safety wasn’t anywhere near strong enough to cope with Higgins yesterday so I think Higgins would have won regardless.

Yep. He just caught a red in the pack which sent the white onto the cushion, then it checked behind that loose red. I think he might have been playing a direct cannon to the loose red to hold for the black. But I could be wrong.

Tiny fractions. I said it during the match - at that level even the slightest mistake or slightest helpful rub can make an enormous difference.

The better man won, that’s for sure. You’ll rarely see Ronnie cue across the white like he did with the missed red. Add that to maybe 2 or 3 dodgy safeties, and it just wasn’t enough. It was a fantastic match to watch.

Postby Prop

hendry_fan wrote:
Prop wrote:Btw, Hendryfan, well done to your boy ;-)

Ta a lot!,much appreciated Mr Prop. :hatoff: <ok>

I’m pleased for you mate <ok> When was the last time you saw Higgins play that well?!

Postby hendry_fan

Nice summary. But very believable. Higgins at his best nearly always beats O'Sullivan in the more important matches. He just doesn't have the consistency these days that he used to have.[/quote]

Thanx VD1. :happy: :cracker:

Hope your doin good,in spite of the tough times atm.

Before the match started,i really did,nt know what to expect,as John is incredibly unpredictable and as you wrote,he,s been very inconsistent for a long time.

I certainly did,nt expect him to play the way he did,probably no one did,in fact,i did have a feeling that he,d play at least decent,but i thought Ronnie would win,by only by a very small margin.

Higgins is one of the few players that is,nt afraid of the Ronster and that can put him under pressure,it,s high time that more players get rid of there fear factor against him,he,s been there for the takin on numerous aoccasions,but many have choked,bottled,crumbled and did,nt play like they can usualy.

That new cue Johns got must be a magic wand,since he,s had it,he,s been playing very well.

I did,nt watch any of that CL,i never do,but i look at the results,and he played very well in that tourney..

There,s no way he,ll play like he did last night tonight,or will he!, :chin: you just never know with the Wizard of Wishaw. <laugh>

He might serve up his C,D,E game,i have a feeling he,ll produce at least his B game tonight though.

His performance yesterday was a 1 in a blue moon one,but blue moons have been occuring more often of late,as i,ve seen a good few,so that might be a good omen. :-D

Gonna be very intrestin to see how he plays now and in the future,now that he,s found a magic wand again,lets hope he can keep the magic goin for many more years. :happy:

Postby hendry_fan

Prop wrote:
hendry_fan wrote:
Prop wrote:Btw, Hendryfan, well done to your boy ;-)

Ta a lot!,much appreciated Mr Prop. :hatoff: <ok>

I’m pleased for you mate <ok> When was the last time you saw Higgins play that well?!

I really canny remember.Sometime in his prime,so that was a lonnnng time ago.

Postby hendry_fan

Juddernaut88 wrote:Morning Hendry_Fan I'm sure you're delighted with John Higgins victory last night. I'll be honest I didn't expect it, not seen Higgins play that well for a few years.

Hallo Juddie.

There probably was,nt anyone who expected it,not a single being. :-D

Even if he plays poor n loses tonight,of course,i,ll be disappointed,but at the same time,he,s cheeeerd me up.Were going through really tough times atm,so that was a BIG cheer upper last night. :happy: :cracker:

You owe me "a few drinks" btw. :-D :party:

Postby hendry_fan

Iranu wrote:Funny how much difference small things can make. Not just Higgins getting the bits of rub but also if Ronnie hadn’t landed behind the red after his awesome long pot in the third (?) frame.

Dear Iranu,

Your right,John did have more of the rub,run last night,but Rons had his share over the years as well.

Thats the way the cookie crumbles sometimes.In saying that,Ron still had chances throughout the match,yes,not many,but he had em,he crumbled an absolute sitter of a red,and in the last frame,2 frames,his safety was poor,that was purely his fault.

John won,Ronnie didnae.

Postby Iranu

Absolutely, HF. As I say, Higgins would have won anyway with Ronnie’s safety the way it was. But Ronnie could have made it closer without the run of the balls.

And you’re right, obviously Ronnie’s had his share of it over the years!

Postby Juddernaut88

hendry_fan wrote:
Juddernaut88 wrote:Morning Hendry_Fan I'm sure you're delighted with John Higgins victory last night. I'll be honest I didn't expect it, not seen Higgins play that well for a few years.

Hallo Juddie.

There probably was,nt anyone who expected it,not a single being. :-D

Even if he plays poor n loses tonight,of course,i,ll be disappointed,but at the same time,he,s cheeeerd me up.Were going through really tough times atm,so that was a BIG cheer upper last night. :happy: :cracker:

You owe me "a few drinks" btw. :-D :party:

I am pleased for you though mate :hatoff: I will get you a few drinks once I decide to visit good old Scotland (Whenever lockdown buggers off)

Postby TheRocket

McManusFan wrote:In the 2018 world final against Willo, he played similarly well in patches, he just had an awful second session.

Yes he had spells in that World final 2018 against MJW where he played like he did against Ronnie yesterday. I think from 10:15 to 15:15 Higgins was unplayable.

But thats the thing with multi session matches, especially 4 session matches. To play like that in a bo11 is possible but to do it over bo33 or bo35 is a huge task. No doubt Higgins one them who can though.