Post a reply

Re: Betfred Masters 1st Rnd: Stuart Bingham v Thepchaiya Un-

Postby Iranu

TheRocket wrote:is Thep just a slightly better version of Tony Drago?

Is he even slightly better? Ok he has a couple of tournament wins but Drago was probably competing in a tougher era and has a higher top ranking (so far) and a better World Championship record (so far). It’s close.

One thing’s for sure, a match between the two of them would be insane!

Postby SnookerEd25

Iranu wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
Maybe.

But last year, the Summer Olympics and the Euros got moved. They had space in the BBC schedules to accommodate it. Even assuming in a couple of months we're all fine and Covid is extinct, would there be that scope this time? Remember, the BBC has the main say when tournaments are held.

Fair points.

In terms of its effect on the health of the tour, the Masters is one of the ‘best’ tournaments to forego because it’s not like it would cost lower ranked players vital earning opportunities.

I'd rather be wataching this than more Championshit league though. I mean, it filled a gap last week, but this is much more like the real thing... :mosh:

Postby SnookerFan

Iranu wrote:

Is he even slightly better? Ok he has a couple of tournament wins but Drago was probably competing in a tougher era and has a higher top ranking (so far) and a better World Championship record (so far). It’s close.

They could play a best of 35 in the time it took to play a frame at The Shoot Out.

Postby SnookerEd25

Iranu wrote:

Thep is a step below Drago for me. The modern-day Drago is Lisowski.

Postby SnookerFan

SnookerEd25 wrote:
Iranu wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
Maybe.

But last year, the Summer Olympics and the Euros got moved. They had space in the BBC schedules to accommodate it. Even assuming in a couple of months we're all fine and Covid is extinct, would there be that scope this time? Remember, the BBC has the main say when tournaments are held.

Fair points.

In terms of its effect on the health of the tour, the Masters is one of the ‘best’ tournaments to forego because it’s not like it would cost lower ranked players vital earning opportunities.

I'd rather be wataching this than more Championshit league though. I mean, it filled a gap last week, but this is much more like the real thing... :mosh:

:goodpost:

Postby SnookerEd25

Cloud Strife wrote:
Alex0paul wrote:Anyone else feeing a bit flat about this years edition?

I'm not really feeling it much either, but that should change when the tournament truly gets under way with Ronnie’s match.

Is that tonight?

If not, who is?

Postby SnookerFan

SnookerEd25 wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:

I'm not really feeling it much either, but that should change when the tournament truly gets under way with Ronnie’s match.

Is that tonight?

If not, who is?

Tonight is Williams vs Murphy.

Postby Iranu

SnookerEd25 wrote:Thep is a step below Drago for me. The modern-day Drago is Lisowski.

Thep’s career so far has been a much bigger waste of talent than Lisowski’s but for some reason doesn’t get pilloried nearly as much. Maybe because he’s not as visible?

Postby SnookerEd25

SnookerFan wrote:
SnookerEd25 wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:

Is that tonight?

If not, who is?

Tonight is Williams vs Murphy.

Oh not bad... Looking forward to that one now!

Postby TheRocket

The Masters in Milton Keynes doesnt work. The Masters is not your bang average tournament. Its an unique tournament.

It should be played at Ally Pally. If the WC cant be played at the Crucible they should postpone it immediately.
Last edited by TheRocket on 11 Jan 2021, edited 1 time in total.