Post a reply

Re: Betway UK Championship Last 64 !!!!!

Postby Juddernaut88

Holden Chinaski wrote:
Iranu wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:What's intriguing for me about Murphy's lack of evolving his game like Trump did is that... well he's a lot more intelligent that Trump. You'd think he'd have the nouse to change his game the way Trump did.

Maybe his early World's victory gave him the sense that he'd done enough in the game already?

He didn't have LASER EYE SURGERY.

Joke all you want it’s clearly one of if not the biggest factor in Judd’s recent success :no:

I was being serious. It's obvious Judd became successful right after his surgery.

It took over a year though. Judd had laser eye surgery in Summer 2017, he was average in the 2017-2018 season, then had a terrible start to 2018-2019 season until the Northern Ireland Open and then of course the rest is history.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Juddernaut88 wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:
Iranu wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:What's intriguing for me about Murphy's lack of evolving his game like Trump did is that... well he's a lot more intelligent that Trump. You'd think he'd have the nouse to change his game the way Trump did.

Maybe his early World's victory gave him the sense that he'd done enough in the game already?

He didn't have LASER EYE SURGERY.

Joke all you want it’s clearly one of if not the biggest factor in Judd’s recent success :no:

I was being serious. It's obvious Judd became successful right after his surgery.

It took over a year though. Judd had laser eye surgery in Summer 2017, he was average in the 2017-2018 season, then had a terrible start to 2018-2019 season until the Northern Ireland Open and then of course the rest is history.

it takes a while for the eyes to adjust and recover. A lot of Golf players had it done as well. They had so much success with it some people started saying laser surgery is cheating.

Postby Iranu

Holden Chinaski wrote:it takes a while for the eyes to adjust and recover. A lot of Golf players had it done as well. They had so much success with it some people started saying laser surgery is cheating.

And also the confidence doesn’t come overnight. It takes a while for the increased practice to pay off in matches consistently.

Postby Prop

It is potentially debatable. Obviously performance enhancing drugs are banned from all sports (if you take strongman competition out of the equation). The thing with that is that steroids are used in a legitimate medical capacity, for example for people with severe asthma. So, some sportsmen could ‘happen to be on steroids’ legitimately. And then you have the whole doping scandal in cycling; watch Icarus if it’s still on Netflix. It’s excellent.

It begs the question, would Judd have had laser eye surgery if he wasn’t a professional snooker player? Would he have been so disadvantaged he felt he needed to get the surgery if he was an accountant, for instance? If the answer is no, then it’s fundamentally a medical intervention or procedure performed for the purpose of gaining a technical sporting advantage - so how much distance is there between that and a cyclist doing a course of steroids, again to gain a technical sporting advantage?

I’ll just state now, this isn’t my argument. Just an example of why it could be argued :-)

Postby Juddernaut88

Judd had problems with this eyesight though. He tried to wear contacts but they still made his eyes feel blurry at times so he felt he needed to get laser eye surgery and address the issue. It is very odd why some people want to look for number of excuses as to why Judd Trump is on form and why they just cannot give him any credit at all.

Postby Iranu

Juddernaut88 wrote:Judd had problems with this eyesight though. He tried to wear contacts but they still made his eyes feel blurry at times so he felt he needed to get laser eye surgery and address the issue. It is very odd why some people want to look for number of excuses as to why Judd Trump is on form and why they just cannot give him any credit at all.

I hope you don’t think this of me.

It just annoys me when pundits credit Jack Trump like he’s the saviour of Judd’s career when it’s clear the eye surgery has had a bigger impact. What good is it having someone to pick balls out if you can only play for 2-3 hours at a time before being in pain?

That’s not to try to dampen Judd’s achievements at all - he's the best player in the world by far and that’s because of his talent and hard work. The surgery’s just helped him realise it.

Postby HappyCamper

Prop wrote:It is potentially debatable. Obviously performance enhancing drugs are banned from all sports (if you take strongman competition out of the equation). The thing with that is that steroids are used in a legitimate medical capacity, for example for people with severe asthma. So, some sportsmen could ‘happen to be on steroids’ legitimately. And then you have the whole doping scandal in cycling; watch Icarus if it’s still on Netflix. It’s excellent.

It begs the question, would Judd have had laser eye surgery if he wasn’t a professional snooker player? Would he have been so disadvantaged he felt he needed to get the surgery if he was an accountant, for instance? If the answer is no, then it’s fundamentally a medical intervention or procedure performed for the purpose of gaining a technical sporting advantage - so how much distance is there between that and a cyclist doing a course of steroids, again to gain a technical sporting advantage?

I’ll just state now, this isn’t my argument. Just an example of why it could be argued :-)

tonnes of normal people do get corrective eye surgery though. just for reasons like not wanting to wear glasses/contacts.

it's completely different from doping. the main reason to ban the abuse of peds in sport is safety and health of competitors. that is not an issue here. eye surgery is essentially no different from thing like strength training, cario, improving diet, etc as methods of improving performance.

Postby LDS

csprince wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:
csprince wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:
csprince wrote:
not a cool word bsp.

Why??

flid spastic etc not cool just my opinion.

Spastic obviously.

Flid just means an fool no?

flid also means spastic.

Words also change their meanings over time and in many cases have multiple meanings either as a result or due to coincidence.

And word-policing is nothing new, its a subject as old as the hills.

Take the word 'heck' for example.

Heck was an invented word created because, during a time of religious fanaticism, the phrase "What the Hell?" was the worst kind of word you could use. A blaspheme of the highest order. So people just said "what the heck?" instead.

Ironically, "What the heck" is now viewed by some as a more serious 'naughty word' than "What the Hell?", because people associate the word Heck with circumventing stupid word-laws but have no clue at all that using Hell in that way was criminally anti-religious.

I mean, the modern example of that phrase is "What the-Fuck?", but because different places have different levels of taste regarding that phrase, due to the F word, it's now just commonly written as WTF, and everyone can read the F word in their head without anyone, oh the horror, the horror, actually saying-fuck.

And, of course, the F word doesn't even mean Heck or Hell, it means sex. To have sex. Just one of the millions of words we can use to express fornication, making love, boning, having a quickie, etc, but for some reason, most likely due to suppression of the Anglo-saxon tongue in England during an historical period, the F word got taken exception to.

So when someone says WTF, there's no sexual connotation in the phrase at all. Ironically, it's a derivation of religious blasphemy. We say WTF because at one time some idiots not very wise person who thought they were really wise, decided to ban the use of the phrase "what the Hell".

And if you want to get really pedantic about all the words that relate to referring to other people as 'not of great intelligence' or 'not very physically competent at completing their current physical task', then pretty much all of those words have their origins in a medical definition.

Dumb meant someone who was physically incapable of speaking. Another word for mute. An idiot was someone who:

Psychology. (no longer in technical use; considered offensive) a person of the lowest order in a former and discarded classification of mental retardation, having a mental age of less than three years old and an intelligence quotient under 25.

And yet both dumb and idiot are considered such tame words that no-one bats an eyelid to their use. Again, see the dictionary definition:

Dumb, dated, offensive (of a person) unable to speak, most typically because of congenital deafness.
"he was born deaf, dumb, and blind".

Even the word stupid:

Stupidity is a quality or state of being stupid, or an act or idea that exhibits properties of being stupid. In a character study of "The Stupid Man" attributed to the Greek philosopher Theophrastus (c. 371 – c. 287 BC), stupidity was defined as "mental slowness in speech or action".

Which, obviously, got used a lot when referring to people with medical abnormalities.

And then the word abnormal itself can be construed as an offensive term, because what is or isn't normal is a subjective stance of opinion. It's not abnormal to be born differently, it's just a normality that occurs in a minority of cases.

There are a gazillion words and phrases that have come to be used in situations where we just want to say "that person was less than proficient", and all of them are inherently offensive, but the language has always required such words and phrases.

To take exception to one over another is akin to grammar pedantry at best and akin to religious fanaticism at its worst. It prevents easy communication and expression while at the same time disrupting the language into ever more complex cul-de-sacs of confusion and double meaning as people simply rush to use another word to express the same natural expression.

I bet if he'd written his post entirely in Latin, for example, it would have been impossible for him to have made any 'offensive' use of language!

Anyway, this is all very off topic to this otherwise gay and spunky thread.

Postby rekoons

I'm a bit skeptical as to whether laser eye surgery really boosted Judd's playing ability.

I can understand that when before his eyes hurt after a couple of hours, having his eyes lasered enables him to practice more, and thus allowing him to improve faster maybe.

But I think it's not his eyesight that's so terribly important to pot balls, I always thought these pro's 'see' the potting angle and line themselves up on autopilot and just casually check object ball and pocket angle as a check.

They do their aiming while standing up, once down they're not squinting to find the precise spot on the object ball to hit. They spend more mental energy on hitting the white exactly where they want and with what pace than working out where to hit the red.

Maybe for long pots eyesight becomes more important, but still, 'feeling' the potting angle > eyesight.

Just my 2 cents, may be wrong. :shrug:

Postby SnookerEd25

Iranu wrote:
Juddernaut88 wrote:Judd had problems with this eyesight though. He tried to wear contacts but they still made his eyes feel blurry at times so he felt he needed to get laser eye surgery and address the issue. It is very odd why some people want to look for number of excuses as to why Judd Trump is on form and why they just cannot give him any credit at all.

I hope you don’t think this of me.

It just annoys me when pundits credit Jack Trump like he’s the saviour of Judd’s career when it’s clear the eye surgery has had a bigger impact. What good is it having someone to pick balls out if you can only play for 2-3 hours at a time before being in pain?

That’s not to try to dampen Judd’s achievements at all - he's the best player in the world by far and that’s because of his talent and hard work. The surgery’s just helped him realise it.

Do we know for sure that Jack didn’t perform the surgery?
:shrug:

Postby SnookerEd25

Holden Chinaski wrote:
rekoons wrote:
Maybe for long pots eyesight becomes more important

For long pots eyesight must be very important.

Never seemed to hinder Cliff Wilson, who had only one good eye (his explanation : “I used to pot them from memory” :chuckle:)

Postby SnookerEd25

HappyCamper wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:The Judd match hasn't got going yet.

Think your stream is buffering. It's 43 - 14 on my telly.

I bucking love a pedant <ok>

Postby HappyCamper

SnookerEd25 wrote:
HappyCamper wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:The Judd match hasn't got going yet.

Think your stream is buffering. It's 43 - 14 on my telly.

I bucking love a pedant <ok>

Actually wrong thread. I should have said the match is over and Trump has triumphed six frames to three. I apologise for the oversight.

Postby Ronnie79

Andre147 wrote:
Alex0paul wrote:Is he playing Scottish?

Who?

ROS? He is, it's Home Nations and he has a contract with ES.

What does a contract with Eurosport have to do with him playing the Scottish ?. He said he will play in it, but two years ago after winning the UK he pulled out of the Scottish on the Monday morning. He had a Eurosport contract then

Postby Ronnie79

cupotee wrote:
TheRocket wrote:
cupotee wrote:top of my head as i'm typing now i do think 2005 murphy for that year at least was the worst world champion of the 2000's .

yeah he only beat Higgins,Davis and Ebdon along the way. And prime Stevens in the final. Not bad for a 22 year old dude.

personally that doesn't strike me as that big an achievement , higgins had one eye on bringing up his kids then and davis ? and ebdon , nah , also murphy nearly beat doherty in the first round at the crucible two years previously so he'd been around the block , i'd take dott .

Dott only won in 06 because ROS had a complete meltdown after tipgate all during the championship he finally cracked. You would take Dott even though he was won a grand total of 3 career titles with one being a mickey mouse World Series event. Smurf is a far superior player to him