Post a reply

Re: 888 Sport Champion of Champions Final !!!

Postby Iranu

SnookerFan wrote:
Iranu wrote:
mack501 wrote:Bit pathetic if you ask me. I like
Phil Yates and yet it is joking about being reported.

Don’t worry, it’s a running joke on here to say ‘reported’ when someone says something you disagree with. It’s not specific to Yates.

Reported.

It should be specific to Yates, don’t get me wrong.

Postby Cloud Strife

SnookerFan wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:
mack501 wrote:Bit pathetic if you ask me. I like
Phil Yates and yet it is joking about being reported.

Totally agree Mack,

You get reported on here if you like Phil Yates.

bucking disgrace.

Mack - another thing.

I was once banned for saying Gary Newbon was a good anchorman

Who?

He used to be the pitch side football reporter for ITV. If you remember back, he used to interview Alex Ferguson during Champions League games.

Postby Iranu

Juddernaut88 wrote:John Virgo is the best.

I would have liked him there to be honest.

But he’s probably way too loud for a crowdless tournament <laugh>

Postby The_Abbott

Iranu wrote:
Juddernaut88 wrote:John Virgo is the best.

I would have liked him there to be honest.

But he’s probably way too loud for a crowdless tournament <laugh>

Yeah you'd have him shout "WHEREZ THE CUE BALL GOIN'? and you'd have the player looking up and shouting "In the damn pocket Virgo!"

Postby SnookerFan

I don't hate Virgo as much as I used to back in the day. I wouldn't say he's grown on me exactly, more that I've got used to him.

I did miss him a bit the previous BBC tournament that he didn't attend. I think he's good for bringing in the casuals, as he makes routine things like the cueball going within a foot of the pocket sound like the most exciting thing that's ever happened in the history of sport. And I think he's decent when watching exhibitions. Compared to some of the BBC bods, at least he has personality. He still spunks Ronnie a lot, and Judd to a lesser extent. Which is annoying. But the BBC are all guilty of that. I mean, at least he's not John Parrott.

On the other hand, this tournament with the changes that they made, it felt like the BBC was treating snooker like an actual sporting contest for once. In which case having some bearded lunatic lose his rubbish about what the cue ball is doing in every frame would've stuck out more, and wasn't really needed.

Postby HappyCamper

i like it when the cue ball is actually pretty much already in the pocket and virgo has a mad scramble to get his catch phrase in the millisecond before it drops.

Postby Iranu

I like when it’s not the cue ball snd Virgo says for example “where’s the blue ball going?!” Despite non of the other balls ever being referred to as colour+ball in any other circumstance.

Postby badtemperedcyril

Did anyone else think it amusing when Allen, in closing out one of the early evening session frames, potted the black by laying his cue on the table so the black would roll down it into the pocket... the referee called "FOUL"!

I thought he was being a bit of a jobsworth there.

Postby HappyCamper

badtemperedcyril wrote:Did anyone else think it amusing when Allen, in closing out one of the early evening session frames, potted the black by laying his cue on the table so the black would roll down it into the pocket... the referee called "FOUL"!

they always do that though even when the frame is dead.

i suppose it could technically affect the frame score and some bets.

Postby Iranu

HappyCamper wrote:
badtemperedcyril wrote:Did anyone else think it amusing when Allen, in closing out one of the early evening session frames, potted the black by laying his cue on the table so the black would roll down it into the pocket... the referee called "FOUL"!

In the CL for example it could theoretically make a difference to placements in a group.

Postby badtemperedcyril

HappyCamper wrote:

I agree it should be 7 points to Robertson for the reasons you give. Surely the scorer would have done that anyway without the referee needing to call it. In the old days, Len Ganley would have just declared "and the frame".

Postby Wildey

Len Ganley was larger than life in more ways than one.

He was and probably still is the most well known Snooker referee and the fact he refereed the fastest ever 147 by Ronnie will mean he will forever be known by generations of snooker fans that was not around when he was reffing.

Postby Cloud Strife

Wildey wrote:Len Ganley was larger than life in more ways than one.

He was and probably still is the most well known Snooker referee and the fact he refereed the fastest ever 147 by Ronnie will mean he will forever be known by generations of snooker fans that was not around when he was reffing.

Yes, Ken Ganley was a very lucky man. He had the best possible view of the greatest break ever compiled in the history of cue sports.