Post a reply

Re: Matchroom.live English Open last 32 !!!

Postby Iranu

mantorok wrote:Studd needs to go, he's Yates 2.0.

Funny, I’d say he’s the polar opposite of Yates in all the wrong ways.

Yates has an encyclopaedic knowledge of snooker; Studd doesn’t and any stats he mentions are clearly being read off a piece of paper

Yates tries constantly to dress up average sentences with flowery language and overly enthusiastic delivery; Studd speaks almost entirely in tired cliches and sounds barely interested in what’s happening

Postby Andre147

Much worse, Yates can be annoying but his knowledge of the game is greater than most commentators, the way he commentates on them can be annoying.

Studd? He's just bad.

Postby SnookerFan

Andre147 wrote:

Much worse, Yates can be annoying but his knowledge of the game is greater than most commentators, the way he commentates on them can be annoying.

Studd? He's just bad.

Yates, for all I've sad about him, knows the game well. You could argue he's not a bad commentator but a very, very annoying one.

Is there a difference?

Postby mantorok

Iranu wrote:

Funny, I’d say he’s the polar opposite of Yates in all the wrong ways.

Yates has an encyclopaedic knowledge of snooker; Studd doesn’t and any stats he mentions are clearly being read off a piece of paper

Yates tries constantly to dress up average sentences with flowery language and overly enthusiastic delivery; Studd speaks almost entirely in tired cliches and sounds barely interested in what’s happening

Sorry, what I meant is his level of annoyance, not that he's like Phil Yates, just that he's also very annoying :-)

Postby TheRocket

Studd without a doubt is the worst. He pretty much knows nothing about the game. Thats why he never talks about the actual play on the table or technical side of a shot.

Postby The_Abbott

TheRocket wrote:Studd without a doubt is the worst. He pretty much knows nothing about the game. Thats why he never talks about the actual play on the table or technical side of a shot.

Sounds like a typical poster on snooker island

Postby mantorok

Andre147 wrote:

Studd? He's just bad.

Yeah I meant he is up there on my most hated list of commentators, he just spouts and spouts and spouts constant drivel and his timing is appalling and yeah, he's lacking so much knowledge it's unreal.

Postby TheRocket

The_Abbott wrote:
TheRocket wrote:Studd without a doubt is the worst. He pretty much knows nothing about the game. Thats why he never talks about the actual play on the table or technical side of a shot.

Sounds like a typical poster on snooker island

<laugh>

Postby Prop

That’s why I rate Foulds so highly. He gets the point across in technical terms without it feeling like hard work. No BS, no puns. Occasionally very witty, but not for the sake of it.

Postby Iranu

SnookerFan wrote:
Andre147 wrote:

Studd? He's just bad.

Yates, for all I've sad about him, knows the game well. You could argue he's not a bad commentator but a very, very annoying one.

Is there a difference?

There’s definitely a difference because Dennis is both.

Postby The_Abbott

Juddernaut88 wrote:3-1 to Holt :( Judd is going to have to do things the hard way yet again! Big ask to be able to do that 3 days in a row.

if anyone can, Judd can't

Postby SnookerEd25

Iranu wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
Andre147 wrote:

Studd? He's just bad.

Is there a difference?

There’s definitely a difference because Dennis is both.

Dennis is a bad commentator. I say this because he is lazy; doesn’t bother to research players he hasn’t seen before (which turns out to be about 1 in three players), and relies on stock phrases and anecdotes to fiddle his way through a shift. That is bad commentary, any way you look at it.