Post a reply

Re: Matchroom.Live English Open Last 64 !!!

Postby Iranu

Prop wrote:Can I nominate Iranu’s post for funniest of 2020/21?!

Bloody genius.

FYI, the Memories thread for the 20/21 season will be posted in the Life forum in about an hour’s time.

Postby mantorok

SnookerFan wrote:What do commentators mean when they say a player played a shot too well? They only say it when a player makes a mistake.

Maybe I should ask Eurosport.

Yeah it’s stupid basically a polite way of saying they hit it too hard or played the cue through the ball too much.

Postby Dan-cat

Iranu wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:What do commentators mean when they say a player played a shot too well? They only say it when a player makes a mistake.

They mean buck all, they’re making excuses for someone putting too much spin on the ball. You can’t do something TOO well. You either do it well or do it wrong.

They all say it. It annoys me too. It's when the player gets through the ball more than they intended.

Postby Johnny Bravo

mantorok wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:
mantorok wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:This match is shoddy.

Not really a match is it.

Yes it is match, a great one by ROS.

Some on this forum like it when things are tight/even and players go toe to toe.
I just enjoy ROS obliterating opponents with brilliant attacking play.

A good match is when both players are competing with each other which is the point I’m making.

For me, a good match is when a peak ROS destroys his opponents.
But each to his own I suppose. :hatoff: :spot on:

Postby mantorok

Prop wrote:
mantorok wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:
mantorok wrote:

Some on this forum like it when things are tight/even and players go toe to toe.

A good match is when both players are competing with each other which is the point I’m making.

To be fair to Johnny, he likes seeing Ron win in style. We can’t deny him that. Subjectively, that’s a good match.

Likewise. Just saying that a “match” is not what you would use to describe a battering.

Postby SnookerFan

mantorok wrote:

Yeah it’s stupid basically a polite way of saying they hit it too hard or played the cue through the ball too much.

I've tweeted it on the Home Nations hashtag. Maybe Goldstein will explain

Postby Iranu

Prop wrote:To be fair to Johnny, he likes seeing Ron win in style. We can’t deny him that. Subjectively, that’s a good match.

I’d say there’s a difference between a good performance and a good match.

That’s not to say watching a one player destroy another can’t be equally enjoyable and Johnny’s opinion’s definitely valid (not often I’ve said that recently <laugh>) but it’s a different thing to a good match.

Perhaps Pink Ball can do a Greatest Ever Performances competition?

Postby Iranu

Johnny, do you think you would have enjoyed Ronnie destroying Selby 17-5 or something in the world semi more than you enjoyed what actually happened?

Genuine question, I’m not being snarky.
Last edited by Iranu on 14 Oct 2020, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Johnny Bravo

Iranu wrote:
Prop wrote:To be fair to Johnny, he likes seeing Ron win in style. We can’t deny him that. Subjectively, that’s a good match.

That’s not to say watching a one player destroy another can’t be equally enjoyable and Johnny’s opinion’s definitely valid (not often I’ve said that recently <laugh>) but it’s a different thing to a good match.

Haven't seen Pinks in a while, how's he doing ?

Postby SnookerFan

SnookerFan wrote:
mantorok wrote:

Oh rubbish.

I just remembered Goldstein has me on block. Never mind.

Postby SnookerFan

Johnny Bravo wrote:
Iranu wrote:

Haven't seen Pinks in a while, how's he doing ?

Didn't he post earlier today?

Postby HappyCamper

SnookerFan wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
mantorok wrote:

Oh rubbish.

what di you do to get blocked!??!?

Postby mantorok

Johnny Bravo wrote:
mantorok wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:
mantorok wrote:

I’m with you I was just saying that a good match in the purest sense is when it goes close.

Postby Acé

Iranu wrote:
Acé wrote:at what age would father time realistically affect Ronnie in terms of breakbuilding and the general smoothness around the table ?

Interesting one isn’t it, I suppose not until his eyesight starts to fail and perhaps he starts to get a bit of arthritis. His game isn’t as psychologically draining and doesn’t require as much intense focus as many others’ and former players often say that when that starts to fade things get harder from there. I think it’s already happening to an extent as he doesn’t sustain high levels as regularly as he did a few seasons ago but who knows, even that could change. It was being said about him 5-10 years ago.

Keeping fit?

Postby SnookerFan

HappyCamper wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
mantorok wrote:

Oh rubbish.

what di you do to get blocked!??!?

I don't really know. I just noticed once he'd blocked me.

I went over my posts, and I noticed that I'd called him a git once for slagging off my football team. Might be that. But it's a guess.

Postby Prop

Usually it’s a shot that would ordinarily need almost as much spin as possible, or power as possible (or a combination of both) to reach the target ball positionally. Because these shots require an extreme application of spin/power, often a player will overcompensate in spin/power, going beyond or on a more extreme line to the already extreme intended line.

Because of this, they’ve in effect done everything right (as much juice on the white as possible to actually make the shot) which is worthy in itself, so rather than saying it’s not good enough, commentators tend to say it’s ‘too good’, or words to that effect.

It’s a fair way of calling it. It’s an acknowledgement that they have the capability to get (more than) the required work on the white in the first place, rather than a player failing to apply the spin/power and falling out of position due to lack of the skill required to do so.

Postby SnookerFan

Johnny Bravo wrote:
mantorok wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:
mantorok wrote:

Who was it who called me sad for booking a fortnight off for The Crucible and wanting to watch the whole thing?

Was that you? Apologies if not.

Postby mantorok

Prop wrote:

Usually it’s a shot that would ordinarily need almost as much spin as possible, or power as possible (or a combination of both) to reach the target ball positionally. Because these shots require an extreme application of spin/power, often a player will overcompensate in spin/power, going beyond or on a more extreme line to the already extreme intended line.

Because of this, they’ve in effect done everything right (as much juice on the white as possible to actually make the shot) which is worthy in itself, so rather than saying it’s not good enough, commentators tend to say it’s ‘too good’, or words to that effect.

It’s a fair way of calling it. It’s an acknowledgement that they have the capability to get (more than) the required work on the white in the first place, rather than a player failing to apply the spin/power and falling out of position due to lack of the skill required to do so.

Some say “they got into that too much” which is much more preferable.

Postby Prop

mantorok wrote:
Prop wrote:

Some say “they got into that too much” which is much more preferable.

Aye. I’ll agree on that.

Postby Johnny Bravo

Iranu wrote:Johnny, do you think you would have enjoyed Ronnie destroying Selby 17-5 or something in the world semi more than you enjoyed what actually happened?

Genuine question, I’m not being snarky.

Yes, I would have loved if ROS humiliated him with a session to spare.
I enjoyed him out-selboing Selbo, but I would have loved a drubbing more.
Last edited by Johnny Bravo on 14 Oct 2020, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Prop

Iranu wrote:
Prop wrote:Can I nominate Iranu’s post for funniest of 2020/21?!

Bloody genius.

FYI, the Memories thread for the 20/21 season will be posted in the Life forum in about an hour’s time.

<ok>