Post a reply

Re: Matchroom.Live Northern Ireland Open Final !!!!!!

Postby Dan-cat

Holden Chinaski wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:
Alex0paul wrote:Routine win for Trump in the end. Never in doubt

Don't think any serious fans would have backed Ronnie against Trump.

If he'd got that red in the middle and made it 8 all, the momentum was with Ronnie. So I disagree. He almost did to Judd what he did to Selby in the worlds, and Judd is well aware that can happen still at any time.

Indeed. Ronnie was very close to winning. He started the match very poorly but in the end he was finding his form and came very close to beating Judd. That red to the middle was very close and that would have changed everything. A lot of 'serious' fans also said Ronnie would never win the worlds again, especially if he had to play Selby.

A reality check from Holden.

Nothing between them.

Postby mantorok

8-8 would've been interesting, the red was so close.

ROS problem is nowadays he plays well in bursts, but those purple-patches are insanely good and that's why he can still win world titles, unfortunately it also means that 1 or 2-session matches do become an issue if he can't perform those bursts at least once in each session, that's when he falls behind and the pressure starts.

It's just part of his game now, but it's also a reflection of how good he still is when he's on it.

Postby rekoons

The_Abbott wrote:Ronnie in a nutshell

He wins : Didn't enjoy that, couldn't buy a cue action all week

He loses: I really enjoyed this week, loads of practice put in. Been a good week.

<laugh>

Postby Andre147

mantorok wrote:8-8 would've been interesting, the red was so close.

ROS problem is nowadays he plays well in bursts, but those purple-patches are insanely good and that's why he can still win world titles, unfortunately it also means that 1 or 2-session matches do become an issue if he can't perform those bursts at least once in each session, that's when he falls behind and the pressure starts.

It's just part of his game now, but it's also a reflection of how good he still is when he's on it.

Yeah he was so close to 8-8 and then the decider is a lottery, so to say he had no chance of winning the Final is ridiculous. He almost did to Trump what he done to Selby.

And I think the Worlds favour his state of the game nowaday... he can have a bad session, like he had this year, and still win the match. He had bad sessions v MJW, Selby and Kyren and still won, and yesterday was only 5-3 down.

He still has the game, would be silly to suggest the current world champion hadn't.

Postby TheRocket

I agree that 3 or 4 sessions seem to suit his game more than 2 sessions these days because he tends to have a slow start in a lot of matches. In a 3 or 4 session match you can still turn it around but 2 sessions, especially bo17 is too short.

He also fights till the very end now which wasnt the case in the past. There is no way he would have won the World title in the past the way he did this year and come back from that huge deficite against Williams and Selby.

So thats a good sign but on the other hand a prime O'Sullivan obviously wouldnt go that far behind in matches in the first place and avoid putting himself under pressure to come back.

Postby Iranu

mantorok wrote:8-8 would've been interesting, the red was so close.

I’m really not sure I agree that these slow starts are “just a part of his game” now. It’s only 18 months ago he’d won 5 tournaments in a season - I’m not gonna check but I really doubt he started slowly in his matches for all of those.

He hasn’t been in great form the last season for one reason or another, bar the World Championship.

I don’t think he's starting slowly because that’s his game now, I think when he’s in danger he’s raising his game beyond what his form actually is because that’s how strong a competitor he is.

Postby D4P

It's hard to know how much of Ronnie's performances these days can be attributed to him being old vs. how much can be attributed to him not practicing very much. I think he likes to experiment by trying to find the smallest amount of practice time required to still allow him to be sufficiently competitive to enjoy playing.

Postby Iranu

Juddernaut88 wrote:How about we give Judd Trump some credit for yesterdays victory too :)

His final clearance after what Ronnie had done in the previous two frames was really, really excellent. Made it look easy.

Postby Prop

Juddernaut88 wrote:How about we give Judd Trump some credit for yesterdays victory too :)

He’s flying. Justifiably world number one. And delivered the goods yet again. Relax :-)

Postby Ck147

He did OK I guess :)

Postby Running side

Dan-cat wrote:
masterdoctorgenius wrote:
more worrying for trump is that Ronnie has won more TCs in his 40s than Judd has in total.

Very true. Is MDG still about?

Isn't that whats in Chinese takeaways..

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:
more worrying for trump is that Ronnie has won more TCs in his 40s than Judd has in total.

He's waiting for Ronnie to win another trophy, so he can point out how marmite he is.

Postby Juddernaut88

SnookerFan wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:

He's waiting for Ronnie to win another trophy, so he can point out how marmite he is.

There's no guarantee Ronnie will win another a trophy again.
Of course you can never rule him out but last season was unexpected him not winning anything and I wouldn't at all be surprised if it continues this season.

Postby Dan-cat

The man made 5 finals and a couple of those he lost by the odd ball. Just as the previous year, he won a couple of tournaments by the odd ball, and we all said he'd had a great season (see: World Champs)

Everytime I think he's done he comes back.

Postby Prop

Dan-cat wrote:The man made 5 finals and a couple of those he lost by the odd ball. Just as the previous year, he won a couple of tournaments by the odd ball, and we all said he'd had a great season (see: World Champs)

Everytime I think he's done he comes back.

Wasn’t it six?

But yeah, I agree. It’s becoming a bit of a cliché, but he’ll keep playing as long as he wants it. And as long as he wants it, he’s capable of winning titles.

Postby Prop

Dan-cat wrote:He'll always be the dangerman. Six?! I lost count.

I could be wrong. Maybe it was five ranking finals and one invitational. I’ve kind of lost track as well <laugh>