Post a reply

Re: Cazoo Players Championship Final !!!

Postby Acé

TheRocket wrote:they got cocky again. Hope Nadal trashes him at the French.

They need to be humbled asap but in this weak era there's nothing that can stop Mr. I have a muscle tear from winning slams

tbh I needed a break also the GOAT discussions between the Big 3 in tennis is just obscene right now

Postby Andre147

But it's good to see you back, and I agree with you.

However, I don't want to see the "oh Ronnie won't win another title" rubbish again.

Yes there will be a time when he stops winning titles, but that will come when he falls out of Top 16 and can't compete anymore.

Postby Andre147

TheRocket wrote:
Acé wrote:
TheRocket wrote:its a strange season for Ronnie. He's getting to finals so he must be doing something right but he has spells in matches where he struggles to even pot a few balls and looks like he wants to go home. And the slow starts obviously which have been mentioned a lot. Makes a huge difference at this level because it allows opponents to settle in quickly.

He shouldn't have reached the Scottish final he was dreadful there but should've won the Welsh, Welsh was the best and most consistent form he's shown this entire season

Yes there is no doubt the Brown defeat was the worst. I definitely expected him to trash Brown. All the other matches, especially the one in the Scottish you knew his level wasnt gonna be good enough.

Good to see you back here btw.

He should definately have won the Welsh.

He'd be on 1 title, 3 Finals, not bad.

The Brown defeat was a joke, no matter how good Brown played.

Postby Andre147

Just checked the stats..

Ronnie finished the Final with 80% pot success, 35% long pot success.

Can't remember any other Final from him with such low numbers, even the other recently.

Postby Iranu

Andre147 wrote:Just checked the stats..

Can't remember any other Final from him with such low numbers, even the other recently.

In fairness it’s skewed by how many ridiculous pots he took on.

35% is actually decent LP considering the shots he was going for!

Postby Wildey

Iranu wrote:
Andre147 wrote:Just checked the stats..

In fairness it’s skewed by how many ridiculous pots he took on.

35% is actually decent LP considering the shots he was going for!

Yea that's the tactic hes used before in fact on John Higgins in Champ of Champs 2019 Ronnie won 6-3 at that time and he used the tactic on Selby at the Crucible and he won.

Today it backfired yea John played decent stuff when he got in but many times he got in because of kamakaze ronnie and it flattered the score a bit.

When you play like that you got to pot them or it makes you look stupid.

Postby Andre147

Yes Wild you said it all there.

My main problem is he seemed to give up and play ridiculous shots way too early, after the 2nd frame in fact.

Postby TheRocket

Just saw Ronnies post match comments. All I can say is, If Ronnie doesnt stop fawning over Higgins and making these ridiculous comments he will be destroyed again in their next meeting.

The guys hes hammering (Ding,Carter,MJW) treat Higgins like a normal opponent while Ronnie doesnt. I'm not saying thats what cost him this match today but it did on many occasions over the last 15 years.

Postby Iranu

I think Higgins genuinely plays snooker the way Ronnie wishes he could, in terms of 100% focus and determination, and always playing the right shot. If Ronnie could have anyone’s game and mindset he’d maybe have Higgins’ over his own.

Obviously he overdoes the praise, though. I didn’t think he was that bad in his runner-up interview, although I wasn’t paying full attention.

For what it’s worth, MJW basically speaks about Higgins the same way he speaks about Ronnie, on Twitter at least.

On an unrelated note, this tournament showed what I’ve been saying for ages and people seem to have forgotten: when Higgins’ long game is on, it is absolutely scary. Up there with the best, I genuinely think that.

Postby freakmoomin

Iranu wrote:I think Higgins genuinely plays snooker the way Ronnie wishes he could, in terms of 100% focus and determination, and always playing the right shot. If Ronnie could have anyone’s game and mindset he’d maybe have Higgins’ over his own.

Obviously he overdoes the praise, though. I didn’t think he was that bad in his runner-up interview, although I wasn’t paying full attention.

For what it’s worth, MJW basically speaks about Higgins the same way he speaks about Ronnie, on Twitter at least.

On an unrelated note, this tournament showed what I’ve been saying for ages and people seem to have forgotten: when Higgins’ long game is on, it is absolutely scary. Up there with the best, I genuinely think that.

Totally agree about higgins long game.

Long potting combined with quality break building is the ultimate snooker armoury. Either one and you will do pretty well.... both and its lethal. Hendry started that and it still stands today, which is why judd is the main man just now. But wow....if higg can keep this form up hes looking the biz.

Postby Wildey

Andre147 wrote:Yes Wild you said it all there.

My main problem is he seemed to give up and play ridiculous shots way too early, after the 2nd frame in fact.

yea way way too early at 2-0 in a best of 19 at 6-1 or 7-2 you can sort of understand it but when he had every chance early to go in to the MSI level. Not as if Higgins played brilliant to go 2-0 at that point Higgins pot success was about 85%

Postby Holden Chinaski

Iranu wrote:I think Higgins genuinely plays snooker the way Ronnie wishes he could, in terms of 100% focus and determination, and always playing the right shot. If Ronnie could have anyone’s game and mindset he’d maybe have Higgins’ over his own.

True, Higgins' long game was fantastic in this tournament.

Postby TheRocket

He talks like a little kid who is in awe of his hero. I've seen some great rivalries in any sport but I've never seen something like this where a guy treats his main career rival as some sort of god. We talk about Judd a lot and his bemoaning of bad luck after every match but even that I'd prefer over Ronnies ridiculous comments about Higgins.

Absolutely every relevant stat and number out there proves that Ronnie is a superior player than Higgins but in Ronnies head Higgins is probably the best ever.

Anyways, it is what it is. Even if it doesnt make any sense.

Postby Holden Chinaski

TheRocket wrote:

He talks like a little kid who is in awe of his hero. I've seen some great rivalries in any sport but I've never seen something like this where a guy treats his main career rival as some sort of god. We talk about Judd a lot and his bemoaning of bad luck after every match but even that I'd prefer over Ronnies ridiculous comments about Higgins.

Absolutely every relevant stat and number out there proves that Ronnie is a superior player than Higgins but in Ronnies head Higgins is probably the best ever.

Anyways, it is what it is. Even if it doesnt make any sense.

Ronnie talks about Hendry in the same way. Also, Higgins also praises Ronnie, he says he's the best ever.

Postby TheRocket

Higgins praises him but when they are out there playing he still treats him just like another opponent. He is playing the table, not the man.

Ronnie was like that in the past as well but the older he got the more Higgins got into his head. There is one stat which needs to be pointed out. Ronnie had a 10:5 lead in multi session matches at one stage. Now its 12:10. That tells you the story.

Postby Holden Chinaski

TheRocket wrote:Higgins praises him but when they are out there playing he still treats him just like another opponent. He is playing the table, not the man.

Ronnie was like that in the past as well but the older he got the more Higgins got into his head. There is one stat which needs to be pointed out. Ronnie had a 10:5 lead in multi session matches at one stage. Now its 12:10. That tells you the story.

Ronnie also lost to Jordan Brown. I think he's just having a bad spell at the moment.

Postby TheRocket

I agree about the bad spell. I also said thats definitely the main reason he lost but the fact he played this poorly is also the Higgins factor. And I think he needs to get rid of his Higgins worship asap if he wants to beat him in the big matches.

From the look of things they'll meet in the first round of the Tour Champs. They could easily meet in the Worlds as well.

Postby Running side

Think Ronnie losing his fear factor with top players, he can still steam roll lesser players but has to be on top form to compete with leading 4.

Postby mantorok

Well played Higgins, fully deserved, even had ROS stepped it up I think Higgins would've raised his game, ROS being off the boil affected him a little I feel, he was always going to be the winner, in the balls he just wasn't missing anything, very impressive, interesting to see how he does in the worlds.

ROS said it himself, he's putting pressure on himself to perform in these finals and it's affecting him, I think we can put it down to a bad spell, he's had much worse, and reaching these finals is keeping him up in the rankings which is a bonus. A win is due, hopefully the worlds but his confidence will have taken a hit, although for him that doesn't mean much he can turn it on a sixpence.

His opponents got buck all from Higgins this week!

Postby SnookerEd25

SnookerFan wrote:So, Higgins finally a tournament winner. He was in scary form.

Certainly a young man worth keeping an eye on...

Postby SnookerFan

John Higgins said he has had the "best week" of his career after he thrashed Ronnie O'Sullivan 10-3 to win the Players Championship.

Higgins, who had won two matches 6-0 and the other 6-1 to get to the final, knocked in breaks of 142 and 138 on the way to a 5-0 lead over O'Sullivan.

O'Sullivan produced a 144 to trail 6-2 but Higgins took three of the next four frames to lead 9-3.

The Scot then hit another century as he wrapped up victory with a 127 break.

Victory at Milton Keynes earned four-time world champion Higgins the £125,000 top prize as well as a 31st ranking title.

"It's the best week I've ever had," Higgins told ITV4. "I've won world titles and different tournaments but, for the whole week, the way I've felt and the calibre of players I've faced, I've managed to win quite convincingly.

"It's not really like me to do that. Normally, I'd be scrapping it out in final-frame deciders.

"This week, I've done a Ronnie by going through the field pretty easy. It's a brilliant feeling."

Higgins had not played six-time world champion O'Sullivan in the final of a ranking event since he beat his fellow 45-year-old 9-2 at the 2005 Grand Prix.

This was a similarly one-sided win on the back of Higgins making a change to his technique by moving his cue tip closer to the white ball when he addresses it.

O'Sullivan said: "John was just unbelievable. Once you don't punish John - and he is playing as well as he is - you do a lot of sitting in your chair.

"Masterclass today and it's good to see such a great player back winning."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/snooker/56227208