Post a reply

Re: 2018 WORLD SNOOKER CHAMPIONSHIP - PREDICTION CONTEST

Postby Chalk McHugh

Holden Chinaski wrote:I think I might enter this contest. I never do these contests. I think I tried it once but forgot about it after the forst round or so. I'll give it a try.

Give it a try pal. It's good fun. The poster who runs it does a great job. You never know you may take the trophy off SF in a couple of weeks.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Chalk McHugh wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:I think I might enter this contest. I never do these contests. I think I tried it once but forgot about it after the forst round or so. I'll give it a try.

Give it a try pal. It's good fun. The poster who runs it does a great job. You never know you may take the trophy off SF in a couple of weeks.

OK, I will. <ok> :hatoff:

Postby Pink Ball

sundaygirl wrote:May I make a suggestion.
Could we have two separate threads one for actual predictions and another for chatting about the contest. That way serious contenders don’t have to be bothered by Pink’s nonsense.

What exactly have I done wrong this time? buck sake, if it matters so much to people that I edited my post I'll write to PL to clarify what the situation is.

I'd love to win this now just to strike fear into the hearts of people who don't take me seriously. I nearly won the shagging thing last year.

Postby Pink Ball

I wrote the following to PL for anyone worried that I'm not playing fair. He's a good egg and I've no intention of ruining his contest.

Pink Ball wrote:Hi mate,
I edited my predictions before the thread was moved. I changed the highest break to Mark Selby 147 from Ding Junhui 145. If it's against the rules to change your prediction, can you change it back? If I must be disqualified, that is okay.

I also wrote Kyren Wilson 8-20 Matthew Stevens, by which I obviously mean 8-10. Again, if my 8-20 cannot be changed and I'm not entitled to any points should Stevens win, that is okay.

Postby Chalk McHugh

Pink Ball wrote:I wrote the following to PL for anyone worried that I'm not playing fair. He's a good egg and I've no intention of ruining his contest.

Pink Ball wrote:Hi mate,
I edited my predictions before the thread was moved. I changed the highest break to Mark Selby 147 from Ding Junhui 145. If it's against the rules to change your prediction, can you change it back? If I must be disqualified, that is okay.

I also wrote Kyren Wilson 8-20 Matthew Stevens, by which I obviously mean 8-10. Again, if my 8-20 cannot be changed and I'm not entitled to any points should Stevens win, that is okay.

I left Mark Williams score out of my original post. I replied straight away with updated score. Hope i'm included too. Are all the Irish going to be banished from this prestigious contest?

Postby Chalk McHugh

PLtheRef wrote:Evening all,

Just off out to the basketball so will put a more detailed response out later. I've replied to Pink Ball's PM.

I appreciate the effort put in to do this. I wouldn't know where to start. The rest of us can sit and relax and enjoy the snooker while your keeping this show on the road. I think its a great idea and enjoyed the first one i did for the Masters. Fair play man.

Postby sundaygirl

Pink Ball wrote:What exactly have I done wrong this time? buck sake, if it matters so much to people that I edited my post I'll write to PL to clarify what the situation is.

I'd love to win this now just to strike fear into the hearts of people who don't take me seriously. I nearly won the shagging thing last year.

Mate I love a bit of banter and trash talk BUT this thread is 3 pages already
and less than half the posts are predictions

and Yes I am aware of irony that I’m currently adding to the problem

Postby SnookerFan

Could we have two separate threads one for actual predictions and another for chatting about the contest. That way serious contenders don’t have to be bothered by Pink’s nonsense.

rofl

Postby Pink Ball

sundaygirl wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:What exactly have I done wrong this time? buck sake, if it matters so much to people that I edited my post I'll write to PL to clarify what the situation is.

Mate I love a bit of banter and trash talk BUT this thread is 3 pages already
and less than half the posts are predictions

and Yes I am aware of irony that I’m currently adding to the problem

I'm defending my right to play. Other idiots want me thrown out over something minor (not SnookerFan, who was joking). Why not mention them? The one time I've actually not tried to ruin a thread I'm still accused of ruining a thread. I am actually a bit annoyed now.

Postby Cloud Strife

Deewee wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:I'm defending my right to play. Other idiots want me thrown out over something minor (not SnookerFan, who was joking).

I don't think anyone seriously wants you to be disqualified

I agree.

I don't see anyone calling for him to be chucked out.

No need to play the victim card, Pinkie. <ok>

Postby Chalk McHugh

Paddy Powers Prediction Odds

Wildey 2/1 fav
Snookerfan 9/4
Kolompar 3/1
Holden Chinaski 3/1
Sunday Girl 3/1
Pltheref 7/2
Badsnookerplayer 7/2
Andre 7/2
Alex 4/1
Cloud 5/1
Gj 7/1
Deewee 7/1
Pinkball 10/1
Others 20/1

A lot of money staked on Wildey overnight. The punters feel he will reign supreme once more but many think snookerfan can do back-to-back wins although i think it's a step to far. We may get a 20/1 bolter from the pack. All will be revealed.... let the good times roll baby!

Postby Dan-cat

Chalk McHugh wrote:
PLtheRef wrote:Evening all,

Just off out to the basketball so will put a more detailed response out later. I've replied to Pink Ball's PM.

I appreciate the effort put in to do this. I wouldn't know where to start. The rest of us can sit and relax and enjoy the snooker while your keeping this show on the road. I think its a great idea and enjoyed the first one i did for the Masters. Fair play man.

Absolutely. It’s a ton of work. Thank you PL :-D

Postby PLtheRef

Response to what has been said

Obviously, the first thing is to remind all that this is a contest which is supposed to be a bit of fun, and that although everyone desperately wants to win (including me) - it is at the end of the day only a game.

Though I opened the Post in the Prediction Contest forum, making it a Global Announcement somehow moved to the general discussion pages meaning posts could be edited.

With regards to editing of predictions - this is clearly not allowed and is one of the main reasons why this part of the Snooker Island forum is the one which can't be edited. Changing predictions goes against the spirit of the competition and allows an unfair advantage to those predicting later. A dim view is taken of anyone changing their predictions just to gain an advantage. We have had previously a contest leader request a change purely so it would mirror whatever second place - Hence why for when the Final comes round - predictions are requested to be PMd.

The only circumstances in which a change of a prediction will be allowed is if an typo has been made on the score, such as a 20-8 prediction for Stevens to beat Wilson, this will only be allowed on the basis that the score doesn't change nor the predicted player to win the match doesn't change - hence so why Pink Ball will be entitled to have 10-8 Matthew Stevens to be recorded as his prediction for the match in question, he wouldn't be allowed to have Stevens to win by any other score, nor would he be allowed to change his prediction to a Kyren Wilson win.

Similarly if a prediction is omitted altogether then the entrant is allowed to post a prediction for it, as long as it remains within the deadline.

To sum up, whilst Pink Ball can change his Stevens v Wilson score to 10-8, he cannot change his prediction of a high break of 145 for Ding to a 147 for Selby. Chalk McHugh's extra prediction will also be allowed to stand.

To clarify, any predictions of a high break of 147, will be entered into the maximum game alongside the high-break game.

No disqualifications from the contest will take place unless either a member is banned from the forum (in most circumstances) - or will take place if an entrant repeatedly break the rules of the contest despite a warning that they may be disqualified should they continue to do so.

The reason why there is no longer a prediction discussion thread is because the last few years we had one there were no comments made.

Anyways, on with the predictions - Hope that clears all up.

PL

Postby SnookerFan

No.