Topic locked

Re: 2012 China Open Prediction Contest DISCUSSION TOPIC

Postby Wildey

PLtheRef wrote:
Wild wrote:well my predictions has gone tits up im now -3550 rofl

Don't get both right this afternoon and you'll be gone if you are on that score

yea i need Robbo and ding to do the buisness.

Postby TheCleaver

I think we've lost 5 today (Me Included) however I think I finish 4th rofl as others have higher deficits than me!

Also note a couple didn't predict so at this deep end of the comp should face higher punishments? Otherwise they just rest on their laurels :hatoff:

Postby PLtheRef

Skullman wrote:Just saw the table. :dizzy:

Looks like I didn't even need to PM predictions to win this now. No fun being winner if only three people end being in it at the end.

No guarantee you've got it for sure. I know how much you've staked on the final.

Postby Skullman

Thanks for a great contest Paddy. :hatoff: Fun every once in a while, but wouldn't like to see almost everyone eliminated near the end of every contest. Also, maybe you should consider harsher penalties for non-predictors because I could've got away with not predicting by the end. And maybe more correct scores based on percentages, as 5 points is pretty insignificant when you have multiple thousands of points.

Postby PLtheRef

Personally when I set this up I never anticipated that we would have all but two of the predictors would be eliminated. The 5 point correct scores was also something that caught me off guard. I actually was surprised at how big the scores were getting. - Normally in contests missing three deadlines results in disqualification but this given the nature of you wouldn't be disadvantaged in not predicting saw that rule change.

If I was to use this again - I'd welcome any feedback from the rest of you on how it can be improved.

Postby Wildey

PLtheRef wrote:Personally when I set this up I never anticipated that we would have all but two of the predictors would be eliminated. The 5 point correct scores was also something that caught me off guard. I actually was surprised at how big the scores were getting. - Normally in contests missing three deadlines results in disqualification but this given the nature of you wouldn't be disadvantaged in not predicting saw that rule change.

If I was to use this again - I'd welcome any feedback from the rest of you on how it can be improved.

option A

Give out 100 points and that all you got to play with devided over the matches

Option B

Cap the Amount you can place on each match to say 100 and you cant place More than 100 on any given Match with a minimum of 5.

if the quarter finals had gone to plan for me i would have won from there id have been about 10,000+ points infront.

Postby John From London Town

Firstly PL, apologies to you for not predicting over the week-end, I weren't about & also thanks for running the comp & congrats to Skullman for winning it.

The only feedback I'd give, is the scoring for correct frame scores & finalists. For the latter, personally, I think predicting the finalists is the hardest prediction of the lot so maybe that should carry the most points?
For the correct frame scores, I also think it is harder to predict the correct frame scores in match's than it is to predict winners of match's so, if you predict the correct winner & correct frame score, whatever points you get for predicting the winner, some thought should be put into the points given being doubled?

Hope you're well too.
John

Postby Skullman

My personal take: Don't cap the points as the big stakes at the end make it a lot more fun. Otherwise it's the same as other systems where a good start means that you've essentially won it. I like the massive momentum changes that happen.

I do think that correct score predictions should be something like 40% of what you stakes (percentage is only an example) and it would be nice to get a good bonus for predicting a correct finalist. (Btw I know 10 points is insignificant at the end, but did I get points for predicting Mags as finalist?)

Postby Wildey

Skullman wrote:My personal take: Don't cap the points as the big stakes at the end make it a lot more fun. Otherwise it's the same as other systems where a good start means that you've essentially won it. I like the massive momentum changes that happen.

I do think that correct score predictions should be something like 40% of what you stakes (percentage is only an example) and it would be nice to get a good bonus for predicting a correct finalist. (Btw I know 10 points is insignificant at the end, but did I get points for predicting Mags as finalist?)

yup 5 points for a correct score was snake hiss in a ocean lol

Postby sundaygirl

Congratulations to Skullman for the win and Yay me for finishing up on zero!
Many thanks to Paddy for running the comp, it certainly wasn't boring. I definitely look forward playing something similar again. I loved the gambling aspect but prefer contests where all players are still in a the end.

My suggestion would allow us to bet between 5 and 100 points on each match regardless of our score and allow people with minus scores to stay in the game and chase their losses. I would also have liked to have seen more reward than doubling your points for picking the tournament winner at the start not that anyone saw Ebdon winning any way <laugh> maybe even a bonus for picking an outsider rather than the usual suspects.