Post a reply

Chinese Q School 2021

Postby lhpirnie

There's a Q School in Beijing, running from 12-16 April. The format is similar to the UK-based Q School. There are two events, with the winners from top-half and bottom-half qualifying for the WST pro tour. Thus, there are 4 places available.

Re: Chinese Q School 2021

Postby lhpirnie

Here is the draw for Event 1:

Zhang Anda-bye
Fang Xiongman-Wu Yuning
Xing Zihao-Lin Hui
Wi Ning-Zhang Jiankang
Geng Mingqi-Wang Lang
Wang Zepeng-Huang Jiahao
Su Jinxiong-Chen Xiaolong
Li Chengjie-Ju Reti

Yao Pengcheng-bye
Ha Li-Qiao Tianhao
Yang Niaxin-Wang Jing
Deng Haohui-Deng Jinong
Cao Yupeng-Cheng Sihong
Liu Hongyu-He Guoqiang
Au Chiwai-Zhang Yang
Chen Ruifu-bye
------------------------------------
Peng Yisong-bye
Xiao Bo-Lu Guoyuan
Wu Shengguang-Liu Kaijin
Ma Hailong-Long Zehuang
Tu Xuan-Zhang Zhijie
Bai Yulu-Wang Haowei
Xie Jintao-Liang Xiaolong
bye-Pa Ruke

Li Yan-Feng Yi
Song Yang-Liu Wenwei
Zhou Jun-Luo Zetao
Guo Chuang-Zhao Hanyang
Qiao Qiao-Yang Shuo
Wu Yize-Deng Fuyi
Lin Shuai-Chen Qiyu
bye-Zhang Yong
Last edited by lhpirnie on 11 Apr 2021, edited 1 time in total.

Postby lhpirnie

Slightly surprisingly, there's no Mei Xiwen, who has a young child and has said he was unsure whether to return to professional snooker.

Also missing are young talents such as Jiang Jun and Gong Chenzhi. Perhaps they are in school!
Last edited by lhpirnie on 11 Apr 2021, edited 1 time in total.

Postby lhpirnie

SteveJJ wrote:Who's your money on?

Zhang Anda and Wu Yize are my favourites.

Zhang Yong, Peng Yisong are also good in the bottom half. Several players in the top half, which is a lot stronger. I hope Zhang Jiankang has a good run, as he was extremely unlucky with travelling problems in his 2 years on tour 2018-20 - he missed both World Championships and didn't get a proper chance.

Postby SteveJJ

lhpirnie wrote:
SteveJJ wrote:Who's your money on?

Zhang Anda and Wu Yize are my favourites.

Zhang Yong, Peng Yisong are also good in the bottom half. Several players in the top half, which is a lot stronger. I hope Zhang Jiankang has a good run, as he was extremely unlucky with travelling problems in his 2 years on tour 2018-20 - he missed both World Championships and didn't get a proper chance.

Assume its the Cao Yupeng we know, back from his ban?

Postby chengdufan

This is fantastic news. I'm very happy.

That top quarter is brutal. Will be interesting to see who comes through it to face Cao Yupeng.
If I were a betting man, I'd put money on Zhang Anda edging out Cao Yupeng. It wouldn't be a surprise though if Zhang lost his first match against Fang Xiongman.

It will likely be a last 16 match between Wu Yize and Zhang Yong to see who comes through the bottom half. Either of them is capable of doing some damage on the tour.

Great to see Bai Yulu in the draw. I hope she does well, she's very good.

Ju Reti must also be one of the favourites to qualify. Last time he qualified he didn't come over to play (aside from the champion of champions, which he qualified for by winning an Asian tour ptc). As he's entered this, surely he's hoping to come over this time. He deserves the chance to give being a professional a go.

Postby chengdufan

SteveJJ wrote:Assume its the Cao Yupeng we know, back from his ban?

Yes, he's said publicly he will try to qualify and get back on tour.

Postby chengdufan

Interesting that there are 58 entrants.
If it was open entry like the British one, I'm sure hundreds would have put their hat in. Any idea why it's 58?

Postby lhpirnie

chengdufan wrote:
SteveJJ wrote:Assume its the Cao Yupeng we know, back from his ban?

Yes, he's said publicly he will try to qualify and get back on tour.

I saw him play an exhibition in Guangdong in early 2020. He played very well. But he might not be sharp enough to beat these academy players. He's an unknown quantity right now.

Postby lhpirnie

chengdufan wrote:Interesting that there are 58 entrants.
If it was open entry like the British one, I'm sure hundreds would have put their hat in. Any idea why it's 58?

The costs. The entry fee was not massive, but they have to travel to Beijing for 6 days. They wouldn't do it unless they were local, or had a realistic chance.

Postby lhpirnie

chengdufan wrote:This is fantastic news. I'm very happy.

That top quarter is brutal. Will be interesting to see who comes through it to face Cao Yupeng.
If I were a betting man, I'd put money on Zhang Anda edging out Cao Yupeng. It wouldn't be a surprise though if Zhang lost his first match against Fang Xiongman.

It will likely be a last 16 match between Wu Yize and Zhang Yong to see who comes through the bottom half. Either of them is capable of doing some damage on the tour.

Great to see Bai Yulu in the draw. I hope she does well, she's very good.

Ju Reti must also be one of the favourites to qualify. Last time he qualified he didn't come over to play (aside from the champion of champions, which he qualified for by winning an Asian tour ptc). As he's entered this, surely he's hoping to come over this time. He deserves the chance to give being a professional a go.

Bai Yulu actually has a (small) chance to get through, which would be amazing, and would somewhat embarass WST after giving Reanne Evans and Ng On Yee tour cards. Ju Reti is not a serious contender, as he's just a part-time player now really. But he's probably entered just to keep his name visible - he is heavily involved in independent coaching now.

Postby chengdufan

Tomorrow I shall be looking into whether I can go and watch this. I'd be going on Tuesday evening and staying till the end (Friday).

It's all a bit sudden. Not sure if it'll be possible.

Postby SnookerEd25

chengdufan wrote:Tomorrow I shall be looking into whether I can go and watch this. I'd be going on Tuesday evening and staying till the end (Friday).

It's all a bit sudden. Not sure if it'll be possible.

It would be fantastic to have a Snooker Island correspondent on the scene <ok>

Good luck; hope it works out for you...

Postby stanley_

Will these be the four CBSA qualifiers or do they form part of the 14 Q School qualifiers for 2021/22?

I think I spotted seven former pros (Anda, Yupeng, Yong, Yan, Xiongman, Reti, Jiankang)

Postby lhpirnie

stanley_ wrote:Will these be the four CBSA qualifiers or do they form part of the 14 Q School qualifiers for 2021/22?

I think I spotted seven former pros (Anda, Yupeng, Yong, Yan, Xiongman, Reti, Jiankang)

Yes you are right. These 4 qualifiers will join the 14 from the UK Q School. Plus of course all the WST 'wildcards' and a few continental champions, if there are any.

Postby LiangWenbo

4 new Chinese qualifiers from this method of qualifying is stingy in my book, Clive.

Postby TartanMc

I've seen the 4 qualifiers on World Snooker as in thread on Tour Logistics. But is there anywhere to find the full results for the competitions?