Zhang Jiankang
Chang Bingyu
Chen Zifan
Xu Si
Bai Langning
Lei Peifan
James Wattana

Yes, and Peter Ebdon.

The Thai players are highly ranked, and would make some difference in the last-48 pairings.

Re: The Draw

Postby Wildey

Had a discussion with Matt Huart from WPBSA the other week about ranking implications for player that don't enter.

I Suggested Freezing their ranking or give them a 2-year card if they fall off the tour due to not playing, and he said there's a lot of discussion going on behind the scenes regarding that.

Non of the players that's pulled out are in danger of dropping off with Luo Honghao at 62 and Zhang Anda at 71 the closest chinese players to the Drop off/promotion point

Postby Pink Ball

Wildey wrote:It's good that Ding is coming though if nothing else jut for Pink ball's mental health lol

I’ve been telling you all along he’s going to be there, obviously, because he will win the championship this year. Again I’m right, and yet people are concerned about my mental health.

A bit of grace wouldn’t go astray, guys.

Postby SnookerFan

Pink Ball wrote:
Wildey wrote:It's good that Ding is coming though if nothing else jut for Pink ball's mental health lol

I’ve been telling you all along he’s going to be there, obviously, because he will win the championship this year. Again I’m right, and yet people are concerned about my mental health.

David Grace?

Postby Wildey

lhpirnie wrote:
Wildey wrote:Withdrawn so far

Marco Fu
Zhou Yuelong
Xiao Guodong
Zhao Xintong
Li Hang
Mei Xiwen
Zhang Anda
Zhang Jiankang
Chang Bingyu
Chen Zifan
Xu Si
Bai Langning
Lei Peifan
James Wattana

Yes, and Peter Ebdon.

The Thai players are highly ranked, and would make some difference in the last-48 pairings.

So we are down to 97 pros playing in the qualifiers so far with 16 invitees.

Postby lhpirnie

Wildey wrote:So we are down to 97 pros playing in the qualifiers so far with 16 invitees.

And many of those invitees are highly unlikely to make it: Gao Yang, Wu Yize, Ng On Yee, Nutcharat Wongharuthai, Cody Turner. There's also a Saudi Arabian champion place?!

It's inconceivable they will get a full 128-player qualification draw. But this could help with the schedule. I don't know how many tables they will set up, but 8 is a definite possibility now.

Postby Wildey

lhpirnie wrote:
Wildey wrote:So we are down to 97 pros playing in the qualifiers so far with 16 invitees.

And many of those invitees are highly unlikely to make it: Gao Yang, Wu Yize, Ng On Yee, Nutcharat Wongharuthai, Cody Turner. There's also a Saudi Arabian champion place?!

It's inconceivable they will get a full 128-player qualification draw. But this could help with the schedule. I don't know how many tables they will set up, but 8 is a definite possibility now.

8 was going to be used anyway.

8 matches every session = 2 session a day= 8 days

Postby Ck147

Pink Ball wrote:

Pink, ignore them, don't let them get to you. I've bet my life savings on Ding winning the WC, we know it's going to happen. More fool them.

Postby Wildey

Ck147 wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:

Pink, ignore them, don't let them get to you. I've bet my life savings on Ding winning the WC, we know it's going to happen. More fool them.

Make sure you got a nice warm cardboard box ready.

Postby McManusFan

Wildey wrote:
Ck147 wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:

To carry his winnings home?

Postby SnookerFan

McManusFan wrote:
Wildey wrote:
Ck147 wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:

rofl

Postby SnookerFan

Mags seems to be doing well without a crowd.

Imagine a Mags vs Ding final.

Postby lhpirnie

Eurosport may have the benefit of showing Luca Brecel aganist Ryan Day as their judgement day match, which looks like a fine launch.

If Hossein Vafaei does make it, then he could get Day and Brecel could get Liang.

Postby SnookerFan

I have booked the whole 11 days of The Crucible off work.

Time to get some beers in. <ok>

Postby Wildey

McManusFan wrote:
Wildey wrote:
Ck147 wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:

The Clue is there.

Cash doesn't need a warm cardboard box.

Postby SnookerFan

Wildey wrote:The Clue is there.

Cash doesn't need a warm cardboard box.

Is that why it's called Cold Hard Cash?

Postby SteveJJ

Sounds like Un Nooh and Saengkham will be there. Sunny Akani and Hossein Vafaei will if they get visas.

Mifsud never entered in the first place

Postby SnookerEd25

SteveJJ wrote:Sounds like Un Nooh and Saengkham will be there. Sunny Akani and Hossein Vafaei will if they get visas.

I wonder why he did play the one tournament he did enter this season in the first place?

Must have accidentally submitted the form...

Either that, or he was all full of enthusiasm for the season ahead and that was drained out of him by a 8-framer with Martin O'Donnell :chin:

Postby SnookerFan

SnookerEd25 wrote:
SteveJJ wrote:Sounds like Un Nooh and Saengkham will be there. Sunny Akani and Hossein Vafaei will if they get visas.

I wonder why he did play the one tournament he did enter this season in the first place?

Must have accidentally submitted the form...

Either that, or he was all full of enthusiasm for the season ahead and that was drained out of him by a 8-framer with Martin O'Donnell :chin:

rofl rofl

Postby Wildey

What is the point of Steve Mifsud?

One match played in a season for me if players want to keep their card for the second of a 2-year tour card they got to play a minimum of events say 50% otherwise they can't stay on.

Pointless giving tour cards to players that can't be fussed.

Postby McManusFan

Wildey wrote:What is the point of Steve Mifsud?

One match played in a season for me if players want to keep their card for the second of a 2-year tour card they got to play a minimum of events say 50% otherwise they can't stay on.

Yeah, I broadly agree I'm sure there are other people who'd be loving his tour card. Maybe he's got some sort of personal reason for not being able to play. At least there is the wildcard mechanism to top up tournaments when a player doesn't enter.

Postby lhpirnie

Wildey wrote:What is the point of Steve Mifsud?

He can probably charge extra for coaching or exhibitions as a 'Professional Snooker Player'. He's not the first, and unless they change the system, he won't be the last. All of the players from overseas need substantial external funds to be able to participate. Most of the Thai players, including someone as good as Thepchaiya, had to limit their schedule for several years.

I've said before that I prefer a more open system, with global rankings and titles for players. The 128-player 'tour card' system is just yet another hangover from the 1980's.

Postby Pink Ball

Wildey wrote:
Ck147 wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:

Aye, warm cardboard boxes enliven dull mansions.

Postby SnookerEd25

Pink Ball wrote:Aye, warm cardboard boxes enliven dull mansions.

That sounds like a cryptic crossword clue, for which the answer would be something like 'ladle', to everyone's bemusement (except my mother, who nails that nonsense every time...) :chin:

Postby Acé

If Judd doesn't reach the final with this draw it'll be a major disappointment and quiet embarassing lol

No Robertson, Selby, Ronnie, Murphy, Ding in Judd's half. Hate to say it but the upper half is pretty much a cakewalk for Judd's calibre, even I can't lie about it or make excuses to say it looks tough lol cuz it isn't.
Last edited by Acé on 29 Jun 2020, edited 2 times in total.

Postby Acé

Actually I don't think I've seen such a vast difference in general quality between two halves in a WC draw, ever.

Bottom half is looking like a bloodbath, I doubt anyone will have the energy to win if Judd gets to the final.

Postby Alex0paul

Given Trump’s record in the 1st round I don’t see him making the first weekend