Post a reply

Re: World Championship qualifiers

Postby PLtheRef

lhpirnie wrote:So they play 96 best-of-11's, each one session. That looks like 16 matches per day, so must be 2 sessions per day on 8 tables (I don't think they can fit 16 tables in that arena). If they have to do the antigen swab tests in the same way as in the Marshall Arena and have to start at 3pm, that's a very late late finish.

With Marco Fu out, and possibly many others also, there could be byes opening up in Round 1. If 24 players withdraw (e.g. all the players from Asia), then they can do 1 match per day per table with the normal 12 tables.

I presume that with Withdrawals coming this early on (to the extent that a player isn't entering) that there will be further top up invitations into the qualifiers.

I think the 8 table set-up is probably the best that the event could have hoped for. Like others I wouldn't usually endorse Best of 11 Frame matches for the World Championship qualifiers but I think it's needs must. I admittedly prefer the fact that the top 32 seeds have to play at least one Best of 11 match as it levels the playing field a little more than players coming through rounds of Best of 9s and 11s only to go out once the 19 frame matches get underway.

Judgment Day I presume will be 8 matches played and finished on one day and the other 8 the following day, little point in having 16 players waiting around in the present situation.

It'll be interesting to see whether things go back to 19 frame matches in future World Championships once things do settle down or whether they may keep the 11 frame matches for early stages of qualifiers.

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:Good to see Wild taking it in his stride.

Its a rubbish decition by bucking idiots that hasent got a brain cell between them just cancel the bucking bullocks thing.

Postby Wildey

Badsnookerplayer wrote:Excellent decision from World Snooker

buck OFF

Postby Wildey

lhpirnie wrote:With Marco Fu out, and possibly many others also, there could be byes opening up in Round 1. If 24 players withdraw (e.g. all the players from Asia), then they can do 1 match per day per table with the normal 12 tables.

i really really hope so that the event will turn in to the farce it deserves to be.

Postby Alex0paul

Its fantastic news. The whole snooker family should be proud

Postby HustleKing

I'm gonna side more with Wildey on this one.

As it stands, with maybe not too many more withdrawals and no extra tightening of safety regulations it should go ahead.

However, if the withdrawals become very widespread and the event becomes more staggered and elongated from increased safety regulations before the event, they should just call the Worlds a day for 2020

Postby Ck147

Wildey wrote:

Its a rubbish decition by bucking idiots that hasent got a brain cell between them just cancel the bucking bullocks thing.

It's a reasonable decision by a team who want to see pro snooker return for themselves, players and fans. We have to accept that compromises have to be made at the moment.

Postby PLtheRef

HustleKing wrote:I'm gonna side more with Wildey on this one.

As it stands, with maybe not too many more withdrawals and no extra tightening of safety regulations it should go ahead.

However, if the withdrawals become very widespread and the event becomes more staggered and elongated from increased safety regulations before the event, they should just call the Worlds a day for 2020

If the World Championship is going to go ahead then it will go ahead in the 31st July-16th August slot. If its postponed again then I think that will be it for the event for 2020 unfortunately with the more chance of satellite events such as the Championship League Snooker being held on a frequent basis.

I've always said I would like to see a World Championship take place if one was at all possible, even if that meant holding a non-ranking and invitational event which was played over the World Championship format as a last resort because it would be a shame to see the tournament not held if circumstances suggested it could because of qualifiers. That said, every effort to stage a qualifying event should be made

There is a balance between the number of withdrawals diluting the event (which would be naturally be disappointing) and players taking a personal choice (which they are more than entitled to) not to take part. It would be a shame if any player decided not to enter on the gamble it won't be going ahead anyway. I understand players may have concerns and that's not unreasonable, but players know where they stand a bit more now in terms of dates etc.
Last edited by PLtheRef on 16 Jun 2020, edited 2 times in total.

Postby The_Abbott

I can see a great Crucible line up on the offering with Peter Lines, Rod Lawler and Lee Walker all qualifying. Means loads of late night snooker for us to snooze off too!

Is it confirmed that Marco not entering?

Ebdon has retired so that's one extra player needed already.

Postby Wildey

Ck147 wrote:
Wildey wrote:

It's a reasonable decision by a team who want to see pro snooker return for themselves, players and fans. We have to accept that compromises have to be made at the moment.

Can i ask a question Why has the WC Qualifiers have to last only 8 days why not 12 days why not 16 days what else has the EIS Got planned in July family parties, orgies what ill tell you what buck all.

its a rubbish decition no getting away from it

Postby SteveJJ

That's nothing. You should see him if they ever try and shorten the shootout.

Postby SteveJJ

Wildey wrote:
Ck147 wrote:
Wildey wrote:

Can i ask a question Why has the WC Qualifiers have to last only 8 days why not 12 days why not 16 days what else has the EIS Got planned in July family parties, orgies what ill tell you what buck all.

Maybe its not as secure a venue as Milton Keynes...ie no linked hotel, so perhaps extra days equals extra risk if the players have to venture out in public at the beginning and end of each day.

Postby Iranu

Wildey wrote:
Ck147 wrote:
Wildey wrote:

I agree with you that it shouldn’t be held if it can’t be held in full format.

But with regard to your question do you really think the WPBSA and WST wouldn’t have booked for enough days to do BO19 if they could? They’re not going to intentionally cripple the format are they?

Postby McManusFan

While I'm glad there is going to be snooker happening, I'm a bit worried the change in format for the qualifiers might be the thin end of the wedge. I wouldn't be surprised if best of 11 qualifiers for the worlds will return next year, it's bound to be a lot cheaper to run than best of 19s. It's also a real shame about international players, if most of them pull out it really brings into question the 'world' part of the world snooker championships.

Postby D4P

If snooker is in trouble of becoming a dying sport with young people losing/lost interest in it, the single best thing that could probably be done would be to shorten matches. It's not realistic to expect many young people to sit through 6 or 8 hour matches, whether as viewers or players.

Postby Ck147

Wildey wrote:
Ck147 wrote:
Wildey wrote:

Of course you can ask a question, but don't think I can give you the answer you want. I'm sure they have their reasons. Me, you and everyone else just have to deal with it. At least we get to see some snooker, a lot of other sports aren't as lucky right now.

Postby SnookerFan

For the moment, I am prepared to give World Snooker the benefit of the doubt. That they are shortening this as a Covid based safety measure, to shorten playing time in qualifying.

Obviously if this is a long term measure, or affects the final stages I'll make Wild look like he is talking with calm precision.

Needs must at the moment, I guess.

Postby Wildey

D4P wrote:If snooker is in trouble of becoming a dying sport with young people losing/lost interest in it, the single best thing that could probably be done would be to shorten matches. It's not realistic to expect many young people to sit through 6 or 8 hour matches, whether as viewers or players.

You see there is 0% accuracy in that a best of 11 match means you could sit through 11 frames in a Best of 19 its a maximum of 10 frames not to mention the most watched event by a long long long way is the World Championship. even the Qualifiers is widely recognised as the Second Biggest Tournament in Snooker behind the World Championship.

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:It's not a maximum of 10, it's a minimum of 10.

No you play 9 frames first session and then if its 9-0 its a minimum of 1 frame in the second session.

Postby Wildey

i dont feel excited about the WC it has left me flat at a time when i was looking for a boost after everything thats gone on last few months. Yesterdays decition has left me cold roll on 17th of august just cant wait for it all to be over hopefully unscathed.

But non of this is you guys fault so i apolagise for my actions yesterday tough day.

Postby SnookerFan

Wildey wrote:i dont feel excited about the WC it has left me flat at a time when i was looking for a boost after everything thats gone on last few months. Yesterdays decition has left me cold roll on 17th of august just cant wait for it all to be over hopefully unscathed.

But non of this is you guys fault so i apolagise for my actions yesterday tough day.

I dunno, man.

Part of me still thinks we'll find out that this is all Ash's fault.

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:I'm surprised at you Wildey, saying it should be called off if it can't be best of 19s. Players' livelihoods at stake. It means that the lower ranked players might be able to eat this summer.

Wild being a trigger happy sausage.