Post a reply

Re: 2020 World Champs to run from July 31 to August 16

Postby Pink Ball

lhpirnie wrote:
Iranu wrote:Well, they could have the 2021 season rankings based just on this season, not the two seasons. That would eliminate the 2019 WC problem, albeit causing some of its own.

I think it absolutely matters whether it’s called the World Championship because as you say the winner would forever have an asterisk next to their name and it would cause endless, pointless circular debate in service of a tournament that clearly isn’t really the World Championship. If they are going to have a limited field event they should just give it a different name, it’s by far the easiest thing to do.

Yes, it would cause endless circular debate on forums like ours. The rest of the world would just shrug and move on. I'm not really losing sleep over whether Horace Lindrum won the World Championhsip.


But they have to promote it as the World Championship, otherwise they would be liable for not fulfilling their agreements with BetFred and the broadcasters, who paid for a 'World Championship'.

I agree with Wildey that it isn't a life-or-death priority. But if it goes ahead, on the 16th August TV viewers will see someone holding a trophy up at the Crucible after winning a best-of-35 final in a tournament that contained all of the top players (except Ding). It could even be remembered more than most normal World Championships.

Are you pin ends deaf or blind or something?

Re: 2020 World Champs to run from July 31 to August 16

Postby PLtheRef

lhpirnie wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:My issue is more with it being referred to as the World Championship than anything else.

Yes, I know World Championships prior to The Crucible era were different to what we have today, but the event has now been formalised and standardised. So, by all means put something on if you can. But if it wildly differs from what we have now, I don't see how the winner can be called World Champion. If you enter a tournament where not all players were invited to, and matches were all best of seven/nine/eleven, I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable considering the winner to be the World Champion.

When it comes to whether it's a ranking event or not, the only real issue for me is it would seem unfair if certain players weren't allowed to enter it and were thus being punished for something that was beyond their control. If lower ranked players weren't invited because you couldn't hold a qualifying tournament, for example.

I'd prefer a standard World Championship, obviously. But if they can't do it quite like that, and have to come up with some alternative I'd be interested in watching it. But might suggest they call it something other than The World Championship.

Yes, again we see all the problems caused by this idiotic ranking system. However things happen for the next 2 years, the rankings are bound to be distorted. If they don't hold a WC, or if the 'ranking points' don't count, then players who did well in the 2019 WC have a huge advantage.


Stupid, stupid, stupid system.

Incidentally, whether they call it 'World Championship' or not doesn't really matter. It's just a tournament. I expect whoever wins will have their name engraved on the trophy, even if only in italics. It matters for people who like to keep the record books 'nice and clean', which would normally include me. But I'll sacrifice almost all my pronciples during this crisis, just to get something on.


I don't see it as that much of an issue - any of the tour rookies from this year wouldn't have a 2019 World Championship result to fall back on (and I'm not sure whether Cahill's result is included either as he's in the first year on tour card)

If they were to scrap relegation then you'd just run the rankings through 2020/21 either over three seasons or the previous two events of that tournament. Within two years you would be back to the standard 128 for the Tour cards.

Re: 2020 World Champs to run from July 31 to August 16

Postby Scooper

Does anyone know how late we’ll be able to get refunds? I’d probably rather get a refund than watch it in risky conditions this year, but I don’t mind keeping the ticket if it’ll be transferred to next year.

Since it’s not clear which of those will happen, I’d rather delay getting a refund until things are clearer.

Re: 2020 World Champs to run from July 31 to August 16

Postby Alex0paul

Scooper wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:They say if you don't apply by noon tomorrow, they role it over.

But that's all the information they give.


Where do they say that - in email? My sister got the tickets so she gets the emails.


Dear Mr Alex Hutchings

The Betfred World Snooker Championship has been rescheduled and, subject to government policy at the time, will run from Friday 31 July to Sunday 16 August at the Crucible.

As a ticket holder, your ticket(s) purchased under the original dates will automatically swap to the same session within the new dates as outlined in the schedule below. You can also see the schedule by clicking here.

If you are happy to be swapped to these new dates you do not need to take any further action.

Your seats will remain exactly the same as your original booking and your new tickets will be supplied in the coming months.

If would like a refund, you can choose to refund your full booking by selecting the first option, Refund to my original payment method when you click the link below.

If you have booked tickets for a number of sessions and you wish to keep some tickets and refund others, then select Contact me for a partial refund through the link below and a member of our Box Office team will be in touch.

Please note that we cannot transfer your tickets to a different session. This is in line with World Snooker's terms and conditions of sale.
CLICK HERE FOR REFUND OPTIONS
If we don’t hear from you by 12pm on Thursday 30 April, we will transfer your tickets to the corresponding session as outlined in the table above.

World Snooker’s preference is to stage the event with a full crowd inside the Crucible. If that is not possible, based on government advice at the time, World Snooker will consider the following options:

Playing the event with a reduced crowd.
Playing the event behind closed doors.
Postponing the event to a later date again.

Should the 2020 event take place on the new dates but without any public access, we will transfer your tickets over to the 2021 World Snooker Championship at no extra cost, so you still get to enjoy the incredible experience of the Crucible.

Please note that if you choose to obtain a refund, you will not be offered an option to transfer your ticket to the 2021 event should this year’s tournament be played behind closed doors.

Our Box Office team are currently working remotely and are not contactable by telephone, we are working hard to progress as quickly as possible through bookings in date order. We respectfully ask that you don't contact the Box Office at this time. Thank you for your understanding.

Yours Sincerely
Sheffield Theatres

Re: 2020 World Champs to run from July 31 to August 16

Postby SnookerFan

Scooper wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:They say if you don't apply by noon tomorrow, they role it over.

But that's all the information they give.


Where do they say that - in email? My sister got the tickets so she gets the emails.


Yeah. In the email.

Re: 2020 World Champs to run from July 31 to August 16

Postby SnookerFan

Scooper wrote:That’s weird - my sister's email is slightly different and doesn’t include a deadline for refunds. I might just leave it for now and see what happens.


Really?

Did she order them through Sheffield theatres? That's who I ordered the tickets through.

Re: 2020 World Champs to run from July 31 to August 16

Postby Wildey

Guys the ticket you purchase might not be worth the ink even if the allow some in many many will be disapointed.


there is no way on earth that the arena will be full in july even if the event goes ahead that is just impossible.

Re: 2020 World Champs to run from July 31 to August 16

Postby SnookerFan

Wildey wrote:Guys the ticket you purchase might not be worth the ink even if the allow some in many many will be disapointed.


there is no way on earth that the arena will be full in july even if the event goes ahead that is just impossible.


Kind of why I have requested a refund. Just want my money back now. I don't like the uncertainty.

Not that anything is certain. In the e-mail, you click a link to request the refund, a message comes up that says that World Snooker will contact you at some point. That's it. No e-mail confirmation, or anything.

Just going to have to wait to see how long it takes them to contact me.

Re: 2020 World Champs to run from July 31 to August 16

Postby The Ace

Wildey wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:
lhpirnie wrote:
... I'll sacrifice almost all my pronciples during this crisis, just to get something on.


Me too. Non-ranking top 16 would be a fine watch.

'You don't like my principles? Well I have others'

My principles is clear People are dying so i dont give a buck about playing a Snooker tournament until that is resolved whenever that will be so its safe for players to play refs to ref etc etc.

all this desparation to get sport on is sickening if im totally honest id cancel the tournament until 2021 without a second thought.


I think you need to consider peoples mental health too. Yes there are lots of people who are unwell or who have died, but there are even more people who are looking for something to lift their spirits in these desperate times. Sport provides this.

Re: 2020 World Champs to run from July 31 to August 16

Postby lhpirnie

The Ace wrote:I think you need to consider peoples mental health too. Yes there are lots of people who are unwell or who have died, but there are even more people who are looking for something to lift their spirits in these desperate times. Sport provides this.

Yes, and the solvency of snooker. I don't know how many people are employed by snooker, but there are many self-employed who depend on snooker. For some of them, furlough isn't even an option.


Snooker is actually an ideal test-case for the reopening of live events. At some point somebody has to try. I can't believe that football will beat snooker to it. What would that say about the governance of snooker?

Re: 2020 World Champs to run from July 31 to August 16

Postby SnookerFan

Scooper wrote:Not sure if it would stand up too well as a reason: reopen sport events because lack of sports is bad for people's mental health.


Listening to Phil Yates on commentary is bad for people's mental health.

Re: 2020 World Champs to run from July 31 to August 16

Postby Wildey

lhpirnie wrote:
The Ace wrote:I think you need to consider peoples mental health too. Yes there are lots of people who are unwell or who have died, but there are even more people who are looking for something to lift their spirits in these desperate times. Sport provides this.

Yes, and the solvency of snooker. I don't know how many people are employed by snooker, but there are many self-employed who depend on snooker. For some of them, furlough isn't even an option.


Snooker is actually an ideal test-case for the reopening of live events. At some point somebody has to try. I can't believe that football will beat snooker to it. What would that say about the governance of snooker?

To start with football doesent have to pre book venues football clubs owns the venues.

Re: 2020 World Champs to run from July 31 to August 16

Postby Iranu

Scooper wrote:Not sure if it would stand up too well as a reason: reopen sport events because lack of sports is bad for people's mental health.

It’a about the best reason there is to reopen sports events right now.

Re: 2020 World Champs to run from July 31 to August 16

Postby SnookerFan

Iranu wrote:
Scooper wrote:Not sure if it would stand up too well as a reason: reopen sport events because lack of sports is bad for people's mental health.

It’a about the best reason there is to reopen sports events right now.


But that logic could be used for anything.

Reopen theatres for theatre fans who might be suffering from mental health issues. Open cinemas for movie fans. Etc...

Re: 2020 World Champs to run from July 31 to August 16

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:
Iranu wrote:
Scooper wrote:Not sure if it would stand up too well as a reason: reopen sport events because lack of sports is bad for people's mental health.

It’a about the best reason there is to reopen sports events right now.


But that logic could be used for anything.

Reopen theatres for theatre fans who might be suffering from mental health issues. Open cinemas for movie fans. Etc...

yea

im afraid its all for selfish reasons no matter if players gets infected then has to self isolate for 14 days.

imagine the World Championship and 5 Quarter finalists tests possitive for the virus.

Re: 2020 World Champs to run from July 31 to August 16

Postby Iranu

SnookerFan wrote:
Iranu wrote:
Scooper wrote:Not sure if it would stand up too well as a reason: reopen sport events because lack of sports is bad for people's mental health.

It’a about the best reason there is to reopen sports events right now.


But that logic could be used for anything.

Reopen theatres for theatre fans who might be suffering from mental health issues. Open cinemas for movie fans. Etc...

I’m not saying it makes sense for sport ahead of anything else.

I mean that the best current reason for allowing leisure activities to go ahead is to help the mental health of people who are struggling. I’m not saying that it’s actually a good reason or that it should be done because of that. But it’s a better reason than anything else that’s come up.

(Although films can be streamed so I don’t think it applies so much to cinemas.)

Re: 2020 World Champs to run from July 31 to August 16

Postby Wildey

Acé wrote:General sports is gonna resume from 1st June according to the government so the WC will deffo happen

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/52619111

no large crowds allowed but will allow sports to be played behind closed doors

All that depends on what happens now if deaths and infection goes up then its going backwards.


Boris has cocked up already this morning it was caios in london and big cityes with people trying to go to work=infection.

VE Day celebrations over the weekend in some streets = infection

in 2 weeks time if infection levels not going up theres hope however most people me included expects it to start climbing now.

Re: 2020 World Champs to run from July 31 to August 16

Postby Wildey

Also there is a distinction between what sports can be played outside and what can or canot be played inside in a confined space which the Crucible is.