Post a reply

Re: 2020 World Champs to run from July 31 to August 16

Postby Iranu

SnookerFan wrote:
Wildey wrote:Some of the most exciting, Nerve wrecking matches have actually happened when hardly nobody watching but when you get to the final night at say 17-17 and nobody there you will miss it big time.

No, I get it would be strange playing in front of nobody. Especially at a venue as small as The Crucible. But, I don't think it would bother me as much as some are suggesting.

These people saying they'd rather not have it, then have it in front of nobody. I disagree.

I agree with this. It would be a neutered version but it would be better than nothing. And I can’t see how they could stage it much later than July anyway.

Even if it was in the middle of the season there aren’t exactly many 17 day breaks between tournaments and cancelling other tournaments to stage the Worlds wouldn’t be right.

Having said that I do also agree with Wild, there’s no way to practise social distancing in terms of the players being on the same table.

It’s an impossible situation that WST are doing their best to manufacture a solution from.

Postby Johnny Bravo

Badsnookerplayer wrote:
vodkadiet1 wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:Zero chance Ding doesn’t play. Zero chance Ding doesn’t win the tournament.

Zero chance this tournament will be played.

Come July and you will be the only vegan wearing egg on their face.

pmsl :goodpost:

Postby PLtheRef

Iranu wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
Wildey wrote:Some of the most exciting, Nerve wrecking matches have actually happened when hardly nobody watching but when you get to the final night at say 17-17 and nobody there you will miss it big time.

No, I get it would be strange playing in front of nobody. Especially at a venue as small as The Crucible. But, I don't think it would bother me as much as some are suggesting.

These people saying they'd rather not have it, then have it in front of nobody. I disagree.

I agree with this. It would be a neutered version but it would be better than nothing. And I can’t see how they could stage it much later than July anyway.

Even if it was in the middle of the season there aren’t exactly many 17 day breaks between tournaments and cancelling other tournaments to stage the Worlds wouldn’t be right.

Having said that I do also agree with Wild, there’s no way to practise social distancing in terms of the players being on the same table.

It’s an impossible situation that WST are doing their best to manufacture a solution from.

This!

If the World Championship doesn't go ahead in the new slot then I think that is the likely the last chance of an event taking place in 2020, not only are there very few (indeed if any) 17 day window slots in the calendar and it doesn't make sense to ditch another event (likely to be with another sponsor) to squeeze the event in.

It is naturally far from ideal and there are naturally things which are more important going on but if it was safe to do so, I'd rather see a World Championship played BCD than no Championship at all.

I do think that if the event is likely to go ahead then there is going to have to be some give and take from all sides especially given as it would be just for the one championship in an a unique circumstance. The more insistence that the event goes by the standard format, the harder I think it will be to stage.

WST should scrap the relegation and QSchool for this season (still promote those who have already earned their tour card for next year). This would only take two years before nmbers on tour returned to normal.

Postby Pink Ball

Johnny Bravo wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:Zero chance Ding doesn’t play. Zero chance Ding doesn’t win the tournament.

Agree with the first part, totally disagree with the second.

Your disagreement is irrelevant. You might as well say ‘I totally disagree that Graeme Dott will win the 2006 World Championship’

Postby Wildey

Iranu wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

i just think players want to play if its safe just get something on anything on. Hearn managed to get the PTC up and running very quickly lets not use the Biggest event as some sort of desparation to get live sport back on the box it deserves better than that.

Postby SnookerFan

Wildey wrote:
Iranu wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

i just think players want to play if its safe just get something on anything on. Hearn managed to get the PTC up and running very quickly lets not use the Biggest event as some sort of desparation to get live sport back on the box it deserves better than that.

I agree.

I mean, the PDC thing, they created a tournament where players could play in their homes and stream it. I mean, that's a great idea. But they're not claiming that it's the World Championship. They're not doing it instead of the Alexandra Palace. It's been invented for people to watch whilst there's no live sport on at all. Not as a replacement to the biggest tournament of the year.

Postby Wildey

Comentators will be comentating from home.. Hazel will present the show from bed and Steve Davis will be Working on his DJing inbetween analasis from his kitchen.

Postby SnookerFan

Wildey wrote:Comentators will be comentating from home.. Hazel will present the show from bed and Steve Davis will be Working on his DJing inbetween analasis from his kitchen.

So, an improvement on what they usually do?

Postby SnookerFan

Alex0paul wrote:It seems the tickets will roll over to next year if it’s played behind closed doors if you don’t get a refund

I have requested the refund. Sad, I know. But don't really like the uncertainty.

Did manage to cancel my Annual Leave from work though.

Postby Ck147

SnookerFan wrote:
Alex0paul wrote:It seems the tickets will roll over to next year if it’s played behind closed doors if you don’t get a refund

I have requested the refund. Sad, I know. But don't really like the uncertainty.

Glad you got your annual leave back

Postby SnookerFan

Ck147 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

:hatoff:

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Ck147 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

I hear lots of real fans of snooker are not requesting refunds so as not to kick the sport in the teeth when it is in financial crisis. Amazing really.

Postby SnookerFan

Badsnookerplayer wrote:
Ck147 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

I hear lots of real fans of snooker are not requesting refunds so as not to kick the sport in the teeth when it is in financial crisis. Amazing really.

rofl

Yeah, I'm a bad person.

Postby Prop

If it goes ahead it’s going to benefit the game immeasurably for the next few years. A compromised WC might not sit favourably with traditionalists, but to get something - anything - that at least resembles the Worlds onto screens this summer would set a huge precedent in terms of the other big tournaments at the end of 2020 and into 2021. It’s important to recognise the wider value in making this happen.

Scenario A: It doesn’t happen. The reasons and justification for vetoing the attempt inevitably get carried forward to the UK, Masters, and so on. We’re not likely to be in a hugely different world in terms of social distancing until at least 12 months from now. So a refusal in July is probably a refusal in November and in January. The same argument will conclude in the same way.

Scenario B: It happens. It’s nothing like we’re used to, and those traditionalists will inevitably moan. But, it’s a big win for the future. If they can do it in July, they can do it in November, and so on.

This happening, in itself, is not the be all and end all. It is, however, the thin end of the wedge. The success of this proposal and the health of snooker over the coming years are intrinsically linked.

Postby Wildey

Prop wrote:If it goes ahead it’s going to benefit the game immeasurably for the next few years. A compromised WC might not sit favourably with traditionalists, but to get something - anything - that at least resembles the Worlds onto screens this summer would set a huge precedent in terms of the other big tournaments at the end of 2020 and into 2021. It’s important to recognise the wider value in making this happen.

Scenario A: It doesn’t happen. The reasons and justification for vetoing the attempt inevitably get carried forward to the UK, Masters, and so on. We’re not likely to be in a hugely different world in terms of social distancing until at least 12 months from now. So a refusal in July is probably a refusal in November and in January. The same argument will conclude in the same way.

Scenario B: It happens. It’s nothing like we’re used to, and those traditionalists will inevitably moan. But, it’s a big win for the future. If they can do it in July, they can do it in November, and so on.

This happening, in itself, is not the be all and end all. It is, however, the thin end of the wedge. The success of this proposal and the health of snooker over the coming years are intrinsically linked.

No ts not a big win if we are blackmailed by the media to do something thats not beneficial for the sport we lose.

Could you imagine Football playing 5 a side because the BBC Wants it or Tennis playing with top 32 at wimbledon not a chance principles is extreamly important going forward.

Postby Prop

Wildey wrote:
Prop wrote:If it goes ahead it’s going to benefit the game immeasurably for the next few years. A compromised WC might not sit favourably with traditionalists, but to get something - anything - that at least resembles the Worlds onto screens this summer would set a huge precedent in terms of the other big tournaments at the end of 2020 and into 2021. It’s important to recognise the wider value in making this happen.

No ts not a big win if we are blackmailed by the media to do something thats not beneficial for the sport we lose.

Could you imagine Football playing 5 a side because the BBC Wants it or Tennis playing with top 32 at wimbledon not a chance principles is extreamly important going forward.

Is the sport being blackmailed by the media? I know the idea of a heavily compromised WC doesn’t sit favourably with everyone. And that’s understandable. But I’d guess there are as many big fans of snooker that see the value in making something happen as there are that see the value in maintaining principle. Personally, I can see both sides. I can see your point.

Maybe the argument is that A: snooker only comes back when crowds are permitted and the spirit of the game doesn’t ever change to suit these circumstances. Or B: We accept that for as short a period of time as possible the game does compromise, and then as soon as possible gets back to normality with crowds etc.

The problem with A is that we’re going to be waiting a long long time for that to happen. And that has its own implications financially. The problem with B is that it’s not going to sit right for part of the fanbase, and obviously there would be players outside the top 16 that get disadvantaged assuming there’s no traditional qualification process - and that will impact rankings and careers.

There’s no perfect solution.

Postby SnookerFan

I don't mind that they make a tournament that is top-16 only, or whatever.

But don't call it The World Championship. Call it The Coronavirus Classic or whatever.

You don't deserve to be called World Champion if you won a compromised tournament.

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:I don't mind that they make a tournament that is top-16 only, or whatever.

But don't call it The World Championship. Call it The Coronavirus Classic or whatever.

You don't deserve to be called World Champion if you won a compromised tournament.

you cant call it a ranking event either all players has to be able to play in a ranking tournament.

Postby Andre147

Wildey wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:I don't mind that they make a tournament that is top-16 only, or whatever.

you cant call it a ranking event either all players has to be able to play in a ranking tournament.

The Coral events are also ranking events but every player gets the same chance to enter them, provided they got good enough results to be in the 1 year list Top 32, 16 and 8.

An event like the World Champs however isn't based on that kind of order of merit, so all 16 seeded players plus another 16 who got through the qualifiers make the 32 man field at the venue. It doesn't work any other way.

Postby PLtheRef

Andre147 wrote:
Wildey wrote:

The Coral events are also ranking events but every player gets the same chance to enter them, provided they got good enough results to be in the 1 year list Top 32, 16 and 8.

An event like the World Champs however isn't based on that kind of order of merit, so all 16 seeded players plus another 16 who got through the qualifiers make the 32 man field at the venue. It doesn't work any other way.

They do but then again isn't there the argument that the players who qualify for those events get ranking points twice, thrice and in the case of the top eight four times for the same achievement.

Postby Andre147

PLtheRef wrote:
Andre147 wrote:
Wildey wrote:

They do but then again isn't there the argument that the players who qualify for those events get ranking points twice, thrice and in the case of the top eight four times for the same achievement.

I don't see it that way PL...

You "just" have to be good enough to enter them, and if you are you get the rewards.

Sure, it's harder for players lower down the rankings to make it, especially Players and Tour Champs, but they still have the same chancd as the WN1. That's my point.