Post a reply

Re: 2020 World Champs to run from July 31 to August 16

Postby lhpirnie

SnookerFan wrote:Ding lives in Sheffield now anyway, so I don't know if he'll be affected.

Yes, I know he has family in China. Do we know if he's flown over to see them? What with social distancing and restrictions on international travel, it's quite possible he hasn't.

Yes, Ding is in China now. I'm sure he'd want to defend his UK Championship in November. Only four Chinese players are left in the UK, including Yan Bingtao (his girlfriend is a student in Sheffield).

The Chinese players had to undergo a 14-day quarantine in a hotel. Some of them had two quarantines after an internal flight. Will they come back? Probably not.

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

It would look bad to have a World Championship without Asian players considering they would make up about a quarter of the qualifiers. Also the fact the tournament is so long means there is plenty of time for something to go wrong.

Postby lhpirnie

KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:It would look bad to have a World Championship without Asian players considering they would make up about a quarter of the qualifiers. Also the fact the tournament is so long means there is plenty of time for something to go wrong.

Yes. The biggest risk is if somebody got sick during the tournament. Yan Bingtao will be there to represent China. The qualification situation is not something that the general TV audience care about. I have been going to it for years and never seen a BBC representative.

Postby SnookerFan

lhpirnie wrote:Yes. The biggest risk is if somebody got sick during the tournament. Yan Bingtao will be there to represent China. The qualification situation is not something that the general TV audience care about. I have been going to it for years and never seen a BBC representative.

It's the same for the Last-128 of the UK Championship. No BBC people at all.

Though, last year it got a lot of fans. It seems a shame to me they don't televise it. It's only three extra days. They could whack it on interactive, if they didn't want it taking up time on the main telly.

Postby lhpirnie

SnookerFan wrote:It's the same for the Last-128 of the UK Championship. No BBC people at all.

Though, last year it got a lot of fans. It seems a shame to me they don't televise it. It's only three extra days. They could whack it on interactive, if they didn't want it taking up time on the main telly.

I definitely think the BBC should do a review of the qualifiers, perhaps led by a junior reporter. Unfortunately, the BBC really only care about the elite 'familiar faces'. They are a very very safe broadcaster.

For me, the World qualifiers is the most enjoyable live event of the year. It really means everything to them - the culmination of everything they have worked for. With 12 tables, there are always some games that are very tense.

Postby SnookerEd25

BBC : So Dennis, we'd like you to go to the World qualifiers this year, report on a few matches; let us know who we should look out for when they qualify

Dennis : :wild: :wild: :wild: :shc:

Postby lhpirnie

SnookerEd25 wrote:BBC : So Dennis, we'd like you to go to the World qualifiers this year, report on a few matches; let us know who we should look out for when they qualify

Yes exactly!

With Dennis you get the inevitable "I haven't seen much of this player...". Excuse me, but it's your job to have done your research and inform the license-paying public about lesser-know players.

Postby SnookerEd25

lhpirnie wrote:
SnookerEd25 wrote:BBC : So Dennis, we'd like you to go to the World qualifiers this year, report on a few matches; let us know who we should look out for when they qualify

Yes exactly!

With Dennis you get the inevitable "I haven't seen much of this player...". Excuse me, but it's your job to have done your research and inform the license-paying public about lesser-know players.

And even if he wants the easy way out, he could just ask Neal Foulds!

Postby Iranu

Dan-cat wrote:
SnookerEd25 wrote:
And even if he wants the easy way out, he could just ask Neal Foulds!

Fouldsy already does comms on the last few days of the qualifiers

Exactly. So Dennis can just ask him for some thoughts on each qualifier.

Postby SnookerFan

In Dennis Taylor's defence, yes he knows bugger all about the modern game, but it's not really his job to.

He works for the BBC. The BBC's aim is to fill their daytime TV schedules for a week or two and entertain those people who only watch the snooker when the 'Triple Crown' is on. They pander to a different kind of fan to the sort of people who post on forums. We're the minority. They expect their fan base to like snooker, but not for it to be their favourite sport.

Even us sad acts who watch everything, the majority of us who live in the UK will have started watching snooker on the BBC. I did.

They do a good job at introducing people to the sport, and also a good job of entertaining the larger fan base who maybe are a bit more casual in their interest.

The sort of people the BBC aim themselves at probably don't care whether he knows who players outside of the top-16 are. So thus, the BBC don't really make it part of his job to know. A lot of the BBC commentators are the same.

Postby Juddernaut88

SnookerFan wrote:In Dennis Taylor's defence, yes he knows bugger all about the modern game, but it's not really his job to.

He works for the BBC. The BBC's aim is to fill their daytime TV schedules for a week or two and entertain those people who only watch the snooker when the 'Triple Crown' is on. They pander to a different kind of fan to the sort of people who post on forums. We're the minority. They expect their fan base to like snooker, but not for it to be their favourite sport.

Even us sad acts who watch everything, the majority of us who live in the UK will have started watching snooker on the BBC. I did.

They do a good job at introducing people to the sport, and also a good job of entertaining the larger fan base who maybe are a bit more casual in their interest.

The sort of people the BBC aim themselves at probably don't care whether he knows who players outside of the top-16 are. So thus, the BBC don't really make it part of his job to know. A lot of the BBC commentators are the same.

I agree with you. My best friend for example would be an example of someone who only really watches the triple crown events and a few ITV4 events. He doesn't always watch tournaments from the start though. I sometimes ask him why and He says his wife wouldn't want to watch Snooker all day. I then remind him well you can watch it on laptop or your phone on BBC website or ITV website. He also wouldn't be able to tell you who won the 2014 world snooker championship for example without guessing.

Postby vodkadiet1

Badsnookerplayer wrote:
vodkadiet1 wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:Zero chance Ding doesn’t play. Zero chance Ding doesn’t win the tournament.

Zero chance this tournament will be played.

Come July and you will be the only vegan wearing egg on their face.

They have just cancelled The European Athletics Championships (25-30 August).

You are more deluded than Hearn.

Postby Acé

vodkadiet1 wrote:Hearn appears to be living in a parallel universe. There is no chance that any snooker will be played for the next 6 months.

Can still be played without an audience plus Snooker isn't some big sport that needs huge prep, it's just a table and a bunch of balls. It ain't no Wimbledon where the grass, weather, fans etc all come into consideration

Snooker only has 1 WC, it'll go ahead behind closed doors like Gibraltar or spaced out audience at best

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:Ding lives in Sheffield now anyway, so I don't know if he'll be affected.

Yes, I know he has family in China. Do we know if he's flown over to see them? What with social distancing and restrictions on international travel, it's quite possible he hasn't.

Ding is in china.

as far as i know Yan Bingtao is the only chinese in the UK

Postby Wildey

if the World goes ahead it cant be a 2 table event theres no room for social distencing the last 32 will be played as a qualifier.

if that is they get permision to hold a qualifieng event