Post a reply

Re: It’s Off

Postby SnookerFan

mick745 wrote:Yes we could be trying to squeeze 10 months of sport into 3 or 4 months at the end of the year.

There would be massive pressure on tv audiences, sponsorship, corporates.

Bbc no doubt will want to show wimbledon which must be one of their biggest ratings winner but i guess this wont realistically happen after August cause of shortening days and wetter colder weather.

Best to cancel it, but those who stand to make money won't want to?

Postby Iranu

Screw the BBC. If they want to prioritise other sports, let Eurosport have onsite studio coverage.

Postby Alex0paul

Announcement on new dates in the coming days

Postby vodkadiet1

There is no chance that it can be played before Autumn, and most probably around Christmas. They may as well call it off until 2021.

Postby SnookerFan

HappyCamper wrote:https://www.wpbsa.com/wpbsa-support-packages-announced-for-main-tour-players/

This is good from WPBSA A lot of the players will have a very uncertain income for the near future.

Maybe Hearn ain't so bad after all.

Postby mick745

Scooper wrote:Red button

That's where the snooker would be shunted to.

Postby lhpirnie

SnookerFan wrote:
mick745 wrote:Yes we could be trying to squeeze 10 months of sport into 3 or 4 months at the end of the year.

There would be massive pressure on tv audiences, sponsorship, corporates.

Bbc no doubt will want to show wimbledon which must be one of their biggest ratings winner but i guess this wont realistically happen after August cause of shortening days and wetter colder weather.

Best to cancel it, but those who stand to make money won't want to?

I can't believe Wimbledon could be possible, as all of the clay court season has been cancelled, and so Wimbledon would conceivably be the first tennis tournament to resume. I'm sure that massive preparation needs to go in, not least the grass courts, and these preparations probably can't go ahead due to restrictions.

As you say, delaying it until later in the year isn't a possibility.

But of course it's very hard for these organisers to wield the axe to things they have been working so hard for.

Postby lhpirnie

vodkadiet1 wrote:There is no chance that it can be played before Autumn, and most probably around Christmas. They may as well call it off until 2021.

I would say that there are massive financial benefits in staging some kind of WC in 2020, but if it gets to November, then that would be too close to next season's UK, so wouldn't look credible.

For me, if they can complete the WC and subsequent Q School before the English Open in mid-October, then that would be credible - you'd have all four of the Home Nations as well as the Majors intact for 2020-21.

Postby vodkadiet1

lhpirnie wrote:
vodkadiet1 wrote:There is no chance that it can be played before Autumn, and most probably around Christmas. They may as well call it off until 2021.

I would say that there are massive financial benefits in staging some kind of WC in 2020, but if it gets to November, then that would be too close to next season's UK, so wouldn't look credible.

For me, if they can complete the WC and subsequent Q School before the English Open in mid-October, then that would be credible - you'd have all four of the Home Nations as well as the Majors intact for 2020-21.

I agree. But I would be surprised if it were safe by then.

Postby vodkadiet1

The World Championships should be cancelled permanently.

Postby SnookerFan

masterdoctorgenius wrote:Just cancel the tour for this year. Its not happening.

+1

Postby Juddernaut88

SnookerFan wrote:
masterdoctorgenius wrote:Just cancel the tour for this year. Its not happening.

+1

Nope need a world championship to conclude this season. Whether that is in August or November no one knows. Hoping it will be in August

Postby vodkadiet1

Hearn needs to call the season off now. There is no chance this thing will be resolved this year.

Postby lhpirnie

vodkadiet1 wrote:
lhpirnie wrote:

I agree. But I would be surprised if it were safe by then.

Yes, I agree it's not a very likely date, but I think that would be my decision point as to whether there really is a 2020-21 season in any 'normal' way.

But I have been swinging between optimism and pessimism daily for the last week. This whole damn thing could wreck everything, and leave us playing catch-up for the rest of our lives.

Postby chengdufan

Have all the players come to China, do their mandatory 14 day quarantine, then hold it here.
We could be underway in a couple of weeks!
This would have the added advantage that I could go and watch.

Postby vodkadiet1

Hearn needs to just call the season off now. Canada have already pulled out of The Olympics and that starts in 4 months time.

The rest of the year's major tennis events should be called off. And that would retire Federer.

The best snooker could hope for would be to start next season about October with qualifiers for next season's events.

Postby csprince

SnookerFan wrote:Will snooker survive without Federer?

rofl

Postby Wildey

The way these idiots have been behaving in their "extended Easter Holidays" over the weekend all sports for this year has probably gone now.

every one of us has to now take this serious i don't know if its over reaction or not the reality is unless we follow guidelines we wont know and as things stand sports cant re start while people are ignoring government advise no matter how long that will be.

businesses are closing all over the place and probably sport will be the last business to get the go ahead to re start

Postby Sickpotter

vodkadiet1 wrote:The tournament should go ahead as planned with full crowds. Far more people die from pollution.

<doh>

God what a stupid comment....you should holiday in Italy.

Think before you speak, if COVID was nothing to worry about do you really think all governments would be taking the measures they are?

Postby HappyCamper

SnookerFan wrote:
HappyCamper wrote:https://www.wpbsa.com/wpbsa-support-packages-announced-for-main-tour-players/

This is good from WPBSA A lot of the players will have a very uncertain income for the near future.

It's the WPBSA doing this not WST.

Postby SnookerFan

HappyCamper wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

Fair play.

Hearn is a banker.

Postby HappyCamper

SnookerFan wrote:
HappyCamper wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

Fair play.

Hearn is a banker.

I suppose Matchroom does generate almost all the WPBSA's surplus.

Postby csprince

SnookerFan wrote:
HappyCamper wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

Fair play.

Hearn is a banker.

not a hearn fan either can't stand either of them.

Postby SnookerFan

csprince wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
HappyCamper wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

Fair play.

Hearn is a banker.

not a hearn fan either can't stand either of them.

He has done a lot for snooker. It'd be on the bones of it's bottom if not for him.