Post a reply

Re: It’s Off

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

Pink Ball wrote:Is there a bank holiday in the UK on those dates?

The early may Bank Holiday is the only one that's the same across Britain and Ireland apart the new years one.

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

I'm not sure if holding the World Championship will be the ratings bonanza people expect. In recent weeks the only "sport" on American tv has been the Pro Wrestling programming who have been running taped empty arena shows and the ratings this week have been very poor.

Postby Pink Ball

Badsnookerplayer wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:
Juddernaut88 wrote:Wasn't the Tour Championship supposed to be rescheduled for 21st July? so assuming everything gets better in the next few months or so I think it would make sense for the World championship to be in the middle of August and maybe having the final on the bank holiday weekend so Sunday 30th August and Monday 31st August.

Is there a bank holiday in the UK on those dates?

<doh>

I'm Irish. How the buck would I know what Bank Holidays you have?

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Pink Ball wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:
Juddernaut88 wrote:Wasn't the Tour Championship supposed to be rescheduled for 21st July? so assuming everything gets better in the next few months or so I think it would make sense for the World championship to be in the middle of August and maybe having the final on the bank holiday weekend so Sunday 30th August and Monday 31st August.

Is there a bank holiday in the UK on those dates?

<doh>

I'm Irish. How the buck would I know what Bank Holidays you have?

Yeah - sorry.
Forgot you didn't have the internet in Ireland.

:roll:

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Pinkball - you might find this useful. Hopefully it has reached you by now.

Press 193 on your remote control and search for 'Calendar'

Postby Iranu

KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:I'm not sure if holding the World Championship will be the ratings bonanza people expect. In recent weeks the only "sport" on American tv has been the Pro Wrestling programming who have been running taped empty arena shows and the ratings this week have been very poor.

The difference is that pro wresting, especially Wrestlemania, is extremely crowd intensive. Wrestlemania’s a really bloated show that doesn’t make sense without crowd involvement with the chants etc making it live drama. Wrestlers react to the crowd and change the ‘act’ according to how the crowd are reacting.

Snooker and other ‘real’ sports are different, they’re more about what’s actually happening and the audience is involved but more secondarily.

Postby vodkadiet1

How about a 'herd immunity' World Championship held in a 'self isolation' unit? And any player who gets within 2 meters of any human being gets automatically disqualified? And of course all players must wear respirators.

Postby SnookerFan

Pink Ball wrote:Badsnookerplayer in having-a-go-at-Pink-Ball shocker. I don't deserve this rubbish.

Don't forget, this forum is full of Pinkball yes-men.

Postby SnookerFan

Iranu wrote:
KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:I'm not sure if holding the World Championship will be the ratings bonanza people expect. In recent weeks the only "sport" on American tv has been the Pro Wrestling programming who have been running taped empty arena shows and the ratings this week have been very poor.

The difference is that pro wresting, especially Wrestlemania, is extremely crowd intensive. Wrestlemania’s a really bloated show that doesn’t make sense without crowd involvement with the chants etc making it live drama. Wrestlers react to the crowd and change the ‘act’ according to how the crowd are reacting.

Snooker and other ‘real’ sports are different, they’re more about what’s actually happening and the audience is involved but more secondarily.

Pro-wrestling is kind of unique entertainment form. (And one I was quite into up to my early/mid-twenties, so I'm not offering any snobbery.) But though there is a sporting element to it, it's an entertainment driven things with storylines and crowd interaction. In the long run, having wrestling in front of zero fans would probably take some of the enjoyment out of it. For the wrestlers too, as part of it will be the thriving on the reaction of fans. And for the bookers, who are trying to gauge how popular a wrestlers or storyline is. If you have nobody to react, how will you know?

There have been a few famous empty arena matches in the past. But they are one-offs, gimmicks and usually part of a bigger storyline. So can work in the short-term as novelty. I don't think several shows over several months will work if the arenas are constantly empty.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

SnookerFan wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:Badsnookerplayer in having-a-go-at-Pink-Ball shocker. I don't deserve this rubbish.

I am a Snookerfan yes-man

Postby SnookerFan

Badsnookerplayer wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

I am a Snookerfan yes-man

Damn straight.

Postby SnookerFan

If a person is a yes-man, and then the person they are a yes-man to tells them they are a no-man, and they agree because they're a yes-man, what does that make them?

Postby Badsnookerplayer

SnookerFan wrote:If a person is a yes-man, and then the person they are a yes-man to tells them they are a no-man, and they agree because they're a yes-man, what does that make them?

Whatever you think really.

Postby SnookerFan

Badsnookerplayer wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:If a person is a yes-man, and then the person they are a yes-man to tells them they are a no-man, and they agree because they're a yes-man, what does that make them?

Whatever you think really.

rofl

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:Fascinated as to what the format will be.

Similar to the Snooker Shoot-out.

Postby PLtheRef

It is interesting to see what will happen (indeed if anything does happen). Taking the Olympic slot was probably the only realistic chance that WST could get a World Championship off the ground in 2020 - without it doing too much change with regards to the event and its format. - A late August World Championship would have clashed with the Seniors World Championships which will be at the Crucible in the middle of August. Obviously if the new dates fall through then I think the event will be a write off unfortunately.

As much I'd be resistant to change (thinking it to be the thin edge of the last wedge) 16 days is certainly as close to the real thing without the fear of radically altering the format so that it loses its 'status'

If the event is to go ahead then I think there are three scenarios are more likely than others (not given in any particular order)

Scenario One
A 'world championship style tournament' though not an actual World Championship takes place - similar to the Amateur World Grand Prix which was held after the cancellation of the World Amateur Championship a few years back. This could be an invitational and probably gives the most flexibility in the format - though a 3 or 4 session Final.

Scenario Two
A 16 Man World Championship one table event takes place on the format that Pink Ball described - though with maintaining the morning sessions - you could potentially have room for two wild-card matches to fit it into the 16 day schedule. Top 16 to qualify with potentially 2 qualifiers or the next highest two on the one year list.:

*to a finish

Saturday 25th
1pm: Prelim 1 (9)
7pm: Prelim 1 (10)*

Sunday 26th
10am - Prelim 2 (9)
2:30pm - Round 1 - 1 (9)
7pm - Prelim 2 (10)*

Monday 27th
10am - Round 1 - 2 (9)
2:30pm - Round 1 -1 (10)*
7pm - Round 1 - 2 (10)*

Tuesday 28th
10am: Round 1 - 3 (9)
2:30pm: Round 1 - 4 (9)
7pm: Round 1 - 3 (10)*

Wednesday 29th
10am: Round 1 - 5 (9)
2:30pm: Round 1 - 4 (10)*
7pm: Round 1 - 5 (10)*

Thursday 30th
10am - Round 1 - 6 (9)
2:30pm - Round 1 - 7 (9)
7pm: - Round 1 - 6 (10)*

Friday 31st
10am - Round 1 - 8 (9)
2:30pm - Round 1 - 7 (10)*
7pm - Round 21 - 8 (10)*

Saturday 1st
10am - QF1 (8)
2:30 pm - QF2 (8)
7pm - QF1 (8)

Sunday 2nd
10am - QF1 (9)*
2:30pm - QF2 (8)
7pm: - QF2 (9)

Monday 3rd
10am QF 3 (8)
2:30pm QF4 (8)
7pm QF3 (8)

Tuesday 4th
10am - QF3 (9)*
2:30pm - QF4 (8)
7pm - QF4 (9)*

Wednesday 5th
1pm - SF1 (8)
7pm - SF2 (8)

Thursday 6th
10am - SF1 (8)
2:30pm - SF2 (8)
7pm - SF1 (8)

Friday 7th
10am - SF2 (8)
2:30pm - SF1 (9)*
7:30pm - SF2 (9)*

Saturday 8th
1pm FINAL (8)
7pm - FINAL (9)

Sunday 9th
1pm - FINAL (8)
7pm - FINAL (10)*

Scenario Three
The most likely of the three. A 32 man World Championship takes place over two tables though with the Last 16 matches reduced to Best of 19 or 21 frames to fit into two sessions. - Top 16 to qualify with the next 16 on the one year list making up the field. In all scenarios the tournament would be non ranking (with some kind of levy due to players unable to take part who'd otherwise be eligible)

Saturday 25th
1pm: Rd1 - 1, Rd1 - 9
7pm: Rd1 - 1*, Rd1 - 10

Sunday 26th
10am: Rd1 - 2, Rd1 - 9*
2:30pm: Rd1 - 3, Rd1 - 10*
7pm: Rd1 - 2*, Rd1 - 11

Monday 27th
10am: Rd1- 3*, Rd1 - 12
2:30pm - Rd1 - 4, Rd1 - 11*
7pm: Rd1 - 5 , Rd1 - 12*

Tuesday 28th
10am: Rd1 - 4*, Rd1 - 13
2:30pm: Rd1 - 5* - Rd1 - 14
7pm: Rd1 - 6, Rd1 - 13*

Wednesday 29th
10am: Rd1 - 7, Rd1 - 14*
2:30pm: Rd1 - 6*, Rd1 15
7pm: Rd1 - 7*, Rd1 16

Thursday 30th
1pm: Rd1 - 8, Rd1 - 15*
7pm: Rd2 - 17, Rd1 - 16*

Friday 31st
10am: Rd1 - 8*, Rd2 - 21
2:30pm: Rd2 - 17*, Rd2 - 22
7pm: Rd2 - 18, Rd2 - 21*

Saturday 1st
10am: Rd2 - 19, Rd2 - 23
2:30pm: Rd2 - 18*, Rd2 - 24
7pm: Rd2 - 20, Rd2 - 22*

Sunday 2nd
1pm: Rd2 - 19*, Rd2 - 23*
7pm: Rd2 - 20*, Rd2 - 24*

Monday 3rd
10am: QF2, QF3
2:30pm: QF1, QF4
7pm: QF2, QF3

Tuesday 4th
10am: QF1, QF3*
2:30pm: QF2* QF4
7pm: QF1*, QF4*

Wednesday 5th
1pm - SF1
7pm - SF2

Thursday 6th
10am - SF1
2:30pm - SF2
7pm - SF1

Friday 7th
10am - SF2
2:30pm - SF1*
7:30pm - SF2*

Saturday 8th
1pm FINAL
7pm - FINAL

Sunday 9th
1pm - FINAL
7pm - FINAL *

We wait and see

Postby Dan-cat

Excellent post PL.

Imagine it's scenario one, Ronnie wins, would we count this as a World Title?! Effectively it would be. The Ronettes would. Haha.

And if it's Trump, has he broken the Crucible Curse?

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Dan-cat wrote:Excellent post PL.

Imagine it's scenario one, Ronnie wins, would we count this as a World Title?! Effectively it would be. The Ronettes would. Haha.

Ronnie - no.

Judd - yes

Postby lhpirnie

Dan-cat wrote:Excellent post PL.

I think whatever the format, even if there are no qualifiers (the 128-player qualification tournament is really difficult to imagine in July) it will have the status of World Championship, even if many snooker nerds (like me) disagree.

If it's live on TV, watched by millions, with the top players there, held at the Crucible (even with empty seats), it will be a memorable enough event to count in the eyes of most people.

There were 'World Championships' in the 1960's with far less legitimacy that this.

Postby Dan-cat

Imagine then Ronnie won again next year, effectively tying him with Hendry... And the arguments will rage forever lolololzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Postby lhpirnie

Dan-cat wrote:If Hearn pulls this off, we may win new fans... not much else on!

Yes, that's why the gamble is worthwhile. We could see the largest ever viewing figures for snooker: there's nothing else on. But because of the high stakes, Barry Hearn won't let get any minor details get in the way: like legality, safety, rights of lower-ranked players, etc.

Postby SnookerEd25

A woman?

Postby SnookerFan

SnookerEd25 wrote:

A woman?

Woh man!

Postby D4P

SnookerFan wrote:
SnookerEd25 wrote:

A woman?

Woh man!

She was a thief, you got to belief, she stole my heart and my cat

Postby vodkadiet1

This cannot be considered a World Championship. This is Hearn money grabbing. Just call the season off and stop making a mockery of the game.

Postby Pink Ball

vodkadiet1 wrote:This cannot be considered a World Championship. This is Hearn money grabbing. Just call the season off and stop making a mockery of the game.

It’s actually quite a reasonable proposal.