Re: It’s Off

Postby Alex0paul

Tickets available for lots of the sessions now

Postby Ck147

SF will be well snake hissed off.

Postby Juddernaut88

Just have to hope they will reschedule it for August.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Ck147 wrote:SF will be well snake hissed off.

Eurovision was cancelled as well. Pray for SnookerFan :-(

Postby Alex0paul

At least the wait between this years and next years WC won’t be as long as normal

Postby Scooper

Alex0paul wrote:At least the wait between this years and next years WC won’t be as long as normal

If this year’s ends up happening

Postby vodkadiet1

The tournament should go ahead as planned with full crowds. Far more people die from pollution.
Last edited by vodkadiet1 on 20 Mar 2020, edited 2 times in total.

Postby SnookerFan

I'm not snake hissed off, it's the correct decision. My worry was that Hearn was taking too long to make that decision.

Saying that, the World Snooker website doesn't seem to have reported it yet. rofl <doh>

Postby SnookerFan

Holden Chinaski wrote:

Eurovision was cancelled as well. Pray for SnookerFan :-(

I'm more disappointed by that. rofl

Postby mick745

When you think about how much money this must bring into the sport, in terms of sponsorship, tv rights, betting, corporate events, etc. and to Sheffield in general, hotels, restaurants, etc. this is going to be a really, really big financial hit.

Not to mention that it is about the one time of the year the media/public at large actually take an interest.

I just hope it can be rescheduled as soon as possible, but i am not holding out any hope that it will be before the autumn.

Postby donthittheblue

Even now Barry still can't just call it off properly.

Statement wrote:WST Chairman Barry Hearn said: “These are tough times for everyone but we are determined to get through it. Fans around the world – as well as the 144 players involved – are anxious to know if and when the World Championship will go ahead. I can assure everyone that we are doing all we can alongside our broadcasters, the venues and other partners to confirm new dates as soon as possible.

“Snooker players are self-employed, they need opportunities to earn prize money so we have a responsibility to them. We are currently exploring the potential to stage tournaments behind closed doors to keep the circuit alive, with more details to follow next week.

“Live televised coverage of the biggest sporting events can be an inspiration to people around the world in these challenging times so it is important that we strive to find solutions for our tournaments.”

I'm not sure how on earth you could play snooker and comply with social distancing requirements and still make it interesting to watch.

Postby SnookerFan

I reckon when given the option, I'll take the refund rather than substitute tickets.

Postby Alex0paul

SnookerFan wrote:I reckon when given the option, I'll take the refund rather than substitute tickets.

If not when

Postby Alex0paul

How much roughly did you pay and what seats are they?

Postby SnookerFan

Alex0paul wrote:How much roughly did you pay and what seats are they?

It was all sessions of the final. Between row F and K.

It was about £490. Much more than I normally pay. That's more than I normally pay on tickets and hotel combined. rofl

#richbastard

Postby Alex0paul

SnookerFan wrote:

It was about £490. Much more than I normally pay. That's more than I normally pay on tickets and hotel combined. rofl

#richbastard

If refunds aren't available I may be interested in purchasing them off you

Postby SnookerFan

Alex0paul wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

#richbastard

If refunds aren't available I may be interested in purchasing them off you

Well, let's see what happens.

It'll depend when and where it's rescheduled, and what happens with refunds.

Thanks for thought.

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:i'll give u a tenner

I'll give you a tenner to take them for free...

Postby PLtheRef

Naturally the right decision, but so very sorry to learn about it all the same.

Hopefully the situation will have improved somewhat in the coming months, but I'm still not sure about a July-August date - if the event is able to be staged, then what's to say that the BBC will be available - it'd be assumed if sports are able to resume, then the Olympics (unless a decision is taken early) will be broadcast

Postby mick745

Yes we could be trying to squeeze 10 months of sport into 3 or 4 months at the end of the year.

There would be massive pressure on tv audiences, sponsorship, corporates.

Bbc no doubt will want to show wimbledon which must be one of their biggest ratings winner but i guess this wont realistically happen after August cause of shortening days and wetter colder weather.