Post a reply

Re: Betfred World Championships (Fri Aug 14th) Semi-Finals !

Postby TheRocket

cupotee wrote:
TheRocket wrote:https://twitter.com/SHendry775/status/1294415455344623616

i'm not sure about putting much weight on paid broadcasters opinion's , its like how bland ken doherty's answer was on the same thing earlier , its an old buddies network , best to get an out of house opinion wherever that is .

im not putting weight on it. just posted what Hendry said. And I think hes right.

Its up to Selby to deal with it when O'Sullivan goes for crazy shots. Just like Ronnie has to deal with Selbys tactics (scrappy tactical frames). And this time it was O'Sullivan who did a number on him.

Postby PLtheRef

Andre147 wrote:Selby said post-match he felt he lost the match when he didn't manage to go at least 14-10 up in the 3rd session, maybe even 15-9.

Ronnie could not have played much worse and they still drew that session 4-4. It did made a massive difference in the end.

Definitely, even if on reflection 13-11 was a fair scoreline given how much further both should have been ahead at the end of the Wednesday night and Friday morning respectively. What was odd about this morning was that in most of the frames O'Sullivan won it was Selby who got the chance whereas normally you would expect O'Sullivan to reel off the frames like he did tonight to get to 13-13 and then again to force the decider.

That 23rd frame was the turning point, had it gone 14-9 it might have been a tall order to win the match 8-2 from there but at 13-10 he was typical O'Sullivan to take the last of the morning and then the first two of the evening. It's probably a testament to how good Selby is that other than Higgins and Trump, there aren't any others who would respond to go 15-13 and 16-14 in front having seen the lead wiped out that quickly.

Postby Andre147

PLtheRef wrote:
Andre147 wrote:Selby said post-match he felt he lost the match when he didn't manage to go at least 14-10 up in the 3rd session, maybe even 15-9.

Ronnie could not have played much worse and they still drew that session 4-4. It did made a massive difference in the end.

Definitely, even if on reflection 13-11 was a fair scoreline given how much further both should have been ahead at the end of the Wednesday night and Friday morning respectively. What was odd about this morning was that in most of the frames O'Sullivan won it was Selby who got the chance whereas normally you would expect O'Sullivan to reel off the frames like he did tonight to get to 13-13 and then again to force the decider.

That 23rd frame was the turning point, had it gone 14-9 it might have been a tall order to win the match 8-2 from there but at 13-10 he was typical O'Sullivan to take the last of the morning and then the first two of the evening. It's probably a testament to how good Selby is that other than Higgins and Trump, there aren't any others who would respond to go 15-13 and 16-14 in front having seen the lead wiped out that quickly.

Yes, winning 8-2 from 14-9 down would have been a bit too much. Ronnie also should have led 6-2 after the first one, then it was Selby's turn in the 3rd.

Selby did very well to get to 16-14 but the last 3 frames it was vintage Ronnie O'Sullivan. Selby had a chance in the last, but couldn't make the clearance.

Postby Wildey

Pink Ball wrote:To be honest, I don't think there's any evidence he actually got to Selby at all. Selby hardly got a look in in frames 31 and 32, and he looked cool enough in frame 33. Just didn't go his way.

This was a total roll of the dice by O'Sullivan, but what a thrilling roll of the dice it was.

Absolutely.

One of Ronnies Roll of the dice on the final red could have gone over any pocket instead it finished behind the black.

It was hit and hope of the like we've never seen before it was like Quinten hann had possessed him lol in earlier frames they didn't come off and in the end the luck turned.

But i have to say the semis were absolutely brilliant best days snooker i can remember in over 40 years watching this great Game.

The Final has a lot to live up to

Postby cupotee

Andre147 wrote:
PLtheRef wrote:
Andre147 wrote:
Selby did very well to get to 16-14 but the last 3 frames it was vintage Ronnie O'Sullivan. Selby had a chance in the last, but couldn't make the clearance.

selby really blew it on that green to red , the red was easy , might have been his worst shot of the match .

Postby Pink Ball

Wildey wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:To be honest, I don't think there's any evidence he actually got to Selby at all. Selby hardly got a look in in frames 31 and 32, and he looked cool enough in frame 33. Just didn't go his way.

This was a total roll of the dice by O'Sullivan, but what a thrilling roll of the dice it was.

Absolutely.

One of Ronnies Roll of the dice on the final red could have gone over any pocket instead it finished behind the black.

It was hit and hope of the like we've never seen before it was like Quinten hann had possessed him lol in earlier frames they didn't come off and in the end the luck turned.

But i have to say the semis were absolutely brilliant best days snooker i can remember in over 40 years watching this great Game.

The Final has a lot to live up to

I agree with all of that.

It's the best day's snooker I can remember since the 1980s. If O'Sullivan wins the title now, I think his Selby semi-final will be remembered as one of the very greatest matches of all-time. The other semi will rank very highly also, and I think the deciding frame of that semi was one of the greatest frames ever played.

Postby Pink Ball

Very few players in history could have tried what he did tonight and succeeded. He's one of the very few, obviously, and even then it wouldn't work out more often than not.

But not a single player in history could have pullled it off as spectacularly as he did.

It was the single most audacious display of talent the sport has seen.

Postby mantorok

Pink Ball wrote:Very few players in history could have tried what he did tonight and succeeded. He's one of the very few, obviously, and even then it wouldn't work out more often than not.

But not a single player in history could have pullled it off as spectacularly as he did.

It was the single most audacious display of talent the sport has seen.

Nailed it pink <ok>

Postby vodkadiet1

Wildey wrote:People going on about Selby's Interview.

Ronnie not exactly coming over brilliant is he

I was disappointed with Selby's interview. But he was disappointed naturally.

O'Sullivan always talks rubbish so whatever he says isn't news.

Focus on the match and forget the interviews.

Postby Lou147

Acé wrote:Watched Selby's interviews through BBC, betfred and Eurosport and he's absolutely fuming lol this might just be his worst defeat.

He hates it.

Think this is worse than Ronnie's 2014 defeat, did a number on Selby today.

The shoe is well and truly on the other foot and he hates it

Postby SnookerFan

cupotee wrote:
TheRocket wrote:https://twitter.com/SHendry775/status/1294415455344623616

i'm not sure about putting much weight on paid broadcasters opinion's , its like how bland ken doherty's answer was on the same thing earlier , its an old buddies network , best to get an out of house opinion wherever that is .

I actually think that on this occasion, Hendry is correct.

Besides, why would you moan that your opponent keeps taking on poor/kamikaze shots? If they go right, they're perfectly legitimate shots to play. If they go wrong, he's gifted you.

Would Selby have found them disrespectful if he had won.

Postby SnookerFan

Holden Chinaski wrote:I think we can all agree, Ronnie has massive balls of steel and he really got under Selby's skin like no other player could have done.

:happy:

No.

Ronnie is useless, lost to Ding, Williams and Selby. I read it on this site.

Today Snooker Island will be back to pretending that Ronnie is physically incapable of winning matches every time he misses a shot. <ok>

Postby Holden Chinaski

Holden Chinaski wrote:What I respect about Ronnie is that he always plays how he wants to play. Attacking, positive, focused on getting in around the black spot and making big breaks. Sometimes the long ones don't go in or things don't go his way but he will not resort to scrappy frames or slow play or mind games. From '92 to this day, he plays how he thinks it should be. He's got balls, say what you want.

:goodpost: :goodpost: :goodpost:

Postby mantorok

SnookerFan wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:I think we can all agree, Ronnie has massive balls of steel and he really got under Selby's skin like no other player could have done.

:happy:

No.

Ronnie is useless, lost to Ding, Williams and Selby. I read it on this site.

Today Snooker Island will be back to pretending that Ronnie is physically incapable of winning matches every time he misses a shot. <ok>

Wait. Did Ronnie win? Is he still in this?