Post a reply

Re: Fans at the Final

Postby SnookerFan

Badsnookerplayer wrote:
Vallomas wrote:What happens if O'Sullivan reaches the final? Will he withdraw?

He will whinge but play IMO

Surely not.

Postby Cloud Strife

SnookerFan wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:
Vallomas wrote:What happens if O'Sullivan reaches the final? Will he withdraw?

He will whinge but play IMO

Surely not.

I agree, it would be unprecedented.

Postby The_Abbott

Wrong decision IMO. Why is there such a rush to get fans into sports?

One hand - closing down other countries - quarantine

Other hand - come into badly ventilated rooms and catch co-vid - particularly if you come from Leicester which is in lockdown to watch Selby.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

The_Abbott wrote:Wrong decision IMO. Why is there such a rush to get fans into sports?

Other hand - come into badly ventilated rooms and catch co-vid - particularly if you come from Leicester which is in lockdown to watch Selby.

The other countries are not relevant to this really.

What evidence do you have that the Crucible is badly ventilated?

It is important to get people back to normal life. That includes theatres.

Postby The_Abbott

Badsnookerplayer wrote:
The_Abbott wrote:Wrong decision IMO. Why is there such a rush to get fans into sports?

The other countries are not relevant to this really.

What evidence do you have that the Crucible is badly ventilated?

It is important to get people back to normal life. That includes theatres.

Show me the window in the Crucible theatre. You could be in that room for 3 hours. 24 hours if watching Selby. You could get it through airborne particles even air con units blowing it around. I certainly won't be going.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

That's the point. You can stay at home whilst others enjoy it. What you cannot do is stop other people from attending and working at the venue.

Is it the daily number of deaths that is frightening you?

18 Yesterday
20 Wednesday
14 Tuesday
17 Monday
5 Sunday
3 Saturday
12 last Friday

If it is I suggest you stay in your bedroom indefinitely. For comparison, there are on average 450 cancer deaths every day in the UK.

Postby Iranu

Badsnookerplayer wrote:That's the point. You can stay at home whilst others enjoy it. What you cannot do is stop other people from attending and working at the venue.

18 Yesterday
20 Wednesday
14 Tuesday
17 Monday
5 Sunday
3 Saturday
12 last Friday

If it is I suggest you stay in your bedroom indefinitely. For comparison, there are on average 450 cancer deaths every day in the UK.

That’s not a good comparison, really.

This just seems like it shouldn’t be a priority right now.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Iranu wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:That's the point. You can stay at home whilst others enjoy it. What you cannot do is stop other people from attending and working at the venue.

18 Yesterday
20 Wednesday
14 Tuesday
17 Monday
5 Sunday
3 Saturday
12 last Friday

Getting things back to normal asap is an absolute priority IMO.

Postby Cloud Strife

Iranu wrote:

18 Yesterday
20 Wednesday
14 Tuesday
17 Monday
5 Sunday
3 Saturday
12 last Friday

What makes you think it is a priority?

Postby Iranu

Cloud Strife wrote:
Iranu wrote:

18 Yesterday
20 Wednesday
14 Tuesday
17 Monday
5 Sunday
3 Saturday
12 last Friday

What makes you think it is a priority?

I don’t.

Edit: oh I think I see what you mean. The fact that they’re doing it.
Last edited by Iranu on 14 Aug 2020, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Iranu

Badsnookerplayer wrote:
Iranu wrote:

18 Yesterday
20 Wednesday
14 Tuesday
17 Monday
5 Sunday
3 Saturday
12 last Friday

Why?

Postby McManusFan

Badsnookerplayer wrote:
Iranu wrote:

18 Yesterday
20 Wednesday
14 Tuesday
17 Monday
5 Sunday
3 Saturday
12 last Friday

Why? There's still no vaccine, very little has changed over the last few months.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Iranu wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:
Iranu wrote:

18 Yesterday
20 Wednesday
14 Tuesday
17 Monday
5 Sunday
3 Saturday
12 last Friday

Why?

Because the current state of affairs is unhealthy. The damage caused by any extension of lockdown measures will greatly outweigh the benefit to society as a whole IMO.

Postby McManusFan

Badsnookerplayer wrote:
Iranu wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:
Iranu wrote:

18 Yesterday
20 Wednesday
14 Tuesday
17 Monday
5 Sunday
3 Saturday
12 last Friday

Why?

Because the current state of affairs is unhealthy. The damage caused by any extension of lockdown measures will greatly outweigh the benefit to society as a whole IMO.

If we accept that as true for the minute (I don't think it's quite as simple as that), surely mass gatherings at sporting events should be one of the last things to return to normal.

Postby Iranu

Badsnookerplayer wrote:Because the current state of affairs is unhealthy. The damage caused by any extension of lockdown measures will greatly outweigh the benefit to society as a whole IMO.

But we already have pubs open, restaurants open etc. Normality’s already returning. Why does a crowd at a sporting event for two days make any difference?

Postby SnookerFan

Iranu wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:Because the current state of affairs is unhealthy. The damage caused by any extension of lockdown measures will greatly outweigh the benefit to society as a whole IMO.

But we already have pubs open, restaurants open etc. Normality’s already returning. Why does a crowd at a sporting event for two days make any difference?

And that's a rubbish idea, as well.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Iranu wrote:

You are right - it does not make a huge difference. It is a small step.

It won't provide any huge benefit but neither any huge risk. I think you would agree that the mitigations on the 1st day looked pretty decent (don't want to put words in your mouth...).

Postby Iranu

Badsnookerplayer wrote:
Iranu wrote:

It won't provide any huge benefit but neither any huge risk. I think you would agree that the mitigations on the 1st day looked pretty decent (don't want to put words in your mouth...).

If you don’t want to put words in my mouth then don’t. I don’t think there should have been a crowd on day one and the mitigations were nothing more than Bazza doing the bare minimum to ensure he was the “first indoor sport to have crowds” and bucking over Hamilton in the process.

Postby Andre147

Scooper wrote:Oh well, it’s the last 2 days so doesn’t matter who gets infected

rofl

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Iranu wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:
Iranu wrote:

If you don’t want to put words in my mouth then don’t. I don’t think there should have been a crowd on day one and the mitigations were nothing more than Bazza doing the bare minimum to ensure he was the “first indoor sport to have crowds” and bucking over Hamilton in the process.

I was trying to be polite by saying that Iranu. Never mind.

Hamilton was not screwed over at all. He knew the score early in the qualifiers.

You are incorrect about the measures taken as Hearn would not have put these in place himself. They would have been put in place by the venue and they followed the national guidance at the time.

Anyway, it's all irrelevant now as the view has been taken that it is safe and there will be fans there for the final. That is good news IMO.

Postby The_Abbott

Seems a few places in Pottingham are next on the list to be put back in lockdown. Hope Hamilton isn't there.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Scooper wrote:Oh well, it’s the last 2 days so doesn’t matter who gets infected

Do you believe that all indoor venues should be shut or just theatres? What evidence do you have that anybody was infected on day 1? Why do you think they would be infected during the final??

Postby D4P

It will be interesting to see if having fans changes things, especially for Ronnie who has been outspoken in his opposition to opening the doors...

Postby Muller

I was kind of getting used to the canned applause. Improved from the first week when as I understand it, the effect was created by having Steve Davis going ccccccccchhhhhhhhh into a mic.