Post a reply

Davis and Dochery

Postby Roco

Why on earth are these two relics maintaining their stance that the standard is better than ever.

The evidence does just not stack up in their favour. It is not just the class of 92 either All others from that era have managed to get back into contention. McManus, Stevens, Dott. Why on earth can the likes of Dave Harold, Joe Swail, Peter Ebdon, Fergal O'Brien and a load of other old timers get back into contention and compete if this standard is so good. Ronnie is right on this occasion.
Last edited by Roco on 18 Aug 2020, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Davis and Dohery

Postby Johnny Bravo

Roco wrote:Why on earth are these two relics maintaining their stance that the standard is better than ever.

The evidence does just not stack up in their favour. It is not just the class of 92 either All others from that era have managed to get back into contention. McManus, Stevens, Dott. Why on earth can the likes of Dave Harold, Joe Swail, Peter Ebdon, Fergal O'Brien and a load of other old timers get back into contention and compete if this standard is so good. Ronnie is right on this occasion.

Nope, Davis and Doherty are right.
IN DEPTH, snooker has risen considerably.
But it's hard to top the level of the class of 92, you'd have to be superhuman to do that.

Postby HustleKing

JFC what is wrong what people outside of Ireland finding Doherty so hard to spell and pronounce?

Postby HustleKing

Badsnookerplayer wrote:Personally I think Docherty has done enough to be awarded a card

Annoying, but not as bad as calling Ronnie "Sullivan" >-(

Postby HappyCamper

what have harold and swail been in contention for recently.

Postby HustleKing

HappyCamper wrote:what have harold and swail been in contention for recently.

Also, I look forward to Ebdon getting back into contention with chronic back issues :roll:

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

HustleKing wrote:JFC what is wrong what people outside of Ireland finding Doherty so hard to spell and pronounce?

Ken Docherty

Postby HustleKing

KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:
HustleKing wrote:JFC what is wrong what people outside of Ireland finding Doherty so hard to spell and pronounce?

Ken Docherty

Well, since his name is Doherty I really find it hard to see a C or K syllable in there? :chin:

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

HustleKing wrote:
KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:

Ken Docherty

Well, since his name is Doherty I really find it hard to see a C or K syllable in there? :chin:

Gallagher is spelt differently too with the second g silent in Ireland. But at least the British/American pronunciation makes sense there. I don't know why the BBC keep calling Doherty Docherty like he was a Man Utd manager from the 70's.

Postby gallantrabbit

The standard isn't better now of course not. Thirty years ago there were 2 snooker clubs in each town and bursting with players.
There are ways of saying things though and Ronnie is just doing his usual job of not helping at all. Judd got it spot on in his interview. He has done a good job of promoting snooker. O'sullivan just disses it.
Imagine Messi saying, "of course I still score hundreds of goals at thirty. The majority of defenders should be playing sunday league" Same thing.

Postby The_Abbott

Dan-cat wrote:I don't know why people find it so hard to spell Dockurty.

Its pronounced Doehurty

Postby mick745

The reality is that there aren't youngsters taking up the game. It is not just about numbers but lots of good youngsters playing against each other raises their standards and also shows them how to compete against lots of different styles of players, they grow up quicker as it were. The opening of the tour helped throwing them into an adult world where they sank or swam.

We can count on one hand virtually the number of U16s that look like they may break through, can think of maybe Boiko, Mertens, Kowalski, maybe Liam Davies. In china there's probably more but that may now stall with Covid. But it is just not something young people are playing in large enough numbers anymore to raise standards.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

mick745 wrote:The reality is that there aren't youngsters taking up the game. It is not just about numbers but lots of good youngsters playing against each other raises their standards and also shows them how to compete against lots of different styles of players, they grow up quicker as it were. The opening of the tour helped throwing them into an adult world where they sank or swam.

We can count on one hand virtually the number of U16s that look like they may break through, can think of maybe Boiko, Mertens, Kowalski, maybe Liam Davies. In china there's probably more but that may now stall with Covid. But it is just not something young people are playing in large enough numbers anymore to raise standards.

This - very few youngsters in clubs. Less and less clubs. Cycle.

Postby gallantrabbit

Exactly right. Just hope Selbs can wipe that ugly sneer off O'sullivan's chops.

Postby Alex0paul

Does Dohery play with John Hoggins and Allan McNus?

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

Calling young players crap is harsh as it isn't their fault. Jack Lisowski has already achieved more than all but a handful of players who turned pro in 1992. It isn't his fault their haven't been many other top players from his age group and younger. The next O'Sullivan or Hendry probably didn't have a Snooker Club near them and moved on to something else.

Postby Wildey

Johnny Bravo wrote:
Roco wrote:Why on earth are these two relics maintaining their stance that the standard is better than ever.

Nope, Davis and Doherty are right.
IN DEPTH, snooker has risen considerably.
But it's hard to top the level of the class of 92, you'd have to be superhuman to do that.

Ronnie says the in depth so-called talent is a load of rubbish.

Postby The_Abbott

I do feel its professionalism and pride in performance. Old boys tend to work harder - not just in snooker but in life. Its easy for a 19 year old player now to win 10 grand and then blow that at a bar. Whereas most of teh old boys have grated for their first 10k because there were less tournaments and less prize money going around. Therefore your work ethic is higher and still will be.

Postby Roco

Yeah I forgot about Nigel Bond as well. He is still cropping up here and there as are many others.

Re: Davis and Dochery

Postby cupotee

this class of 92 term is silly , what other sport was it as plainly easier to enter and maintain your pro position as pro snooker was in the early 90's as compared to today , i mean who would you prefer to play to keep your tour card cliff wilson in 93 or robert milkins in 2020 ?

Postby HustleKing

cupotee wrote:this class of 92 term is silly , what other sport was it as plainly easier to enter and maintain your pro position as pro snooker was in the early 90's as compared to today , i mean who would you prefer to play to keep your tour card cliff wilson in 93 or robert milkins in 2020 ?

How it is silly?

Name me another year that produced three snooker players with at least 3 WC's each

Postby cupotee

HustleKing wrote:
cupotee wrote:this class of 92 term is silly , what other sport was it as plainly easier to enter and maintain your pro position as pro snooker was in the early 90's as compared to today , i mean who would you prefer to play to keep your tour card cliff wilson in 93 or robert milkins in 2020 ?

How it is silly?

Name me another year that produced three snooker players with at least 3 WC's each

name me another year say in the last 15 or 20 where so many new players rose through the rankings so quickly as new players in the early 90's , just check cuetracker , check the rankings in the early 90's , are you telling me it was as difficult to keep your tour card then as now , then add all the years of experience they had in the 90's to boot , look at kyren wilson , really good temperament and good match player , are you suggesting in equivalent terms he wouldn't keep his card in the early 90's like fergal o brien anthony hamilton mcmanus and the class of 92 , of course he would but he did actually get relegated from the tour at the end of the 2011/12 season , then got his way back again i think through q school , is anyone saying he's not at any stage as a rookie or a seasoned pro not as good as say fergal o brien , its harder to keep your tour card now than then , certainly for your first time around .

Postby TheSaviour

Good that someone mentioned Jack Lisowski. A very, very fluent break-builder with a decent enough touch.
Could be next really great thing!

Would be as great as if Peter Ebdon would still launch a come-back with no mourning about his "issues". Can´t see that happen, as he has his own teddy-bear these days.

I heard that Ronnie O´Sullivan spend some significant times on the practice table before the session3, considering the circumstances. It was a rubbish final all the way, but at least he has his work rate. He could well had been settled and said that yes, Kyren will get better, but not fastly enough and my natural talent solely will take it. He could had said that now I am Ronnie the King, what on earth they did anticipate from me, I am great guy and I would like look like Judd Trump but I am not. He didn´t said those things. And bla bla bla.

I have also heard that Ronnie O´Sullivan really fancies to help the people out. He might even fancy to communicate with his real fans. But he doesn´t help just an odd person. Not now. He will help the odd people out when he´s in big, big troubles. That´s just Ronnie the battler from the Kosovo!

Hopefully Ronnie O´Sullivan also his won teddy-bear now. He could well need it. If Kenny and Jack really shows up…. Or Un Nooh with a bit of a patience…. Or Stephen Maguire.

Sorry.

If finding a biscuits you really fancy, that and the tea is something you will net get bored with. You will also never get bored with being sober, at then fancy some great dishes…. Also. But what you will get bored is bla bla bla when it is not quiet neccessary, or the people calling you and popping in to have a drink or a few. And obviously you will pay it all.

Just change your mobile phone number and do not accept any easy invitations. Don´t just eeeeh eeeeeh well well well eeeeh eeeeh eeeeh well well eeeeeh when it is not a must.

So what is your fav colour of shirt now, to absolutely everyone of course? Could it be brown still now, no. Could it be yellow which is exactly the colour as brown, no. Same with red, no. Could it be white, it looks so incredible good when they keeps coming with it, no. Could it be green, no.

It is alllllll stylish now! But for how long?

It is all silenzio now (obvisouly not in places where it should be, that´s just basic logic). It is all silenzio from the likes of game, game, game and game. It is a few nice nights out staying with a mate, and absolutely nothing else can and will never ever happen!

Silenzio! But not always, obviously. Just a few nice words also involved, and alles gut.

The deal was done, do not forget that. All the other is an utter rubbish, and it will get only worse. Trust me. But luckily the deal was done, solely and just to help the odd person out. In this cold, cold, bad world. The deal was done 20 years ago, just mentioned it only a few weeks ago.

Judd, no. Kenny, yes. Harold, no. Jack, maybe. Selby setting the standards, yes. But what that really is. Ronnie tells what it is, and it ain´t any good.

Find your own path.

Postby badtemperedcyril

Cliff Wilson was a legend. He could pot them off the lampshades! Classic line from the presenter of an early 80's TV tournament...

"and our next match is between Jimmy White and the Fast Potting Cliff Wilson!"

Postby SnookerEd25

badtemperedcyril wrote:
Cliff Wilson was a legend. He could pot them off the lampshades! Classic line from the presenter of an early 80's TV tournament...

"and our next match is between Jimmy White and the Fast Potting Cliff Wilson!"

Love it Cyril! <ok>