Post a reply

Betfred World Championship (Mon Aug 10th) Quarter-Finals !!!

Postby Andre147

Image Image Image
Friday 31st of July~Sunday 16th of August at The Crucible Theatre, Sheffield

It's Quarter-Finals time, and a very high quality field all the way, combined with two qualifiers in Anthony McGill, who survived another final frame decider in a rollercoaster match, he's up against Kurt Maflin, who dispached John Higgins, the latter last 3 times finalist here.

Defending champion Judd Trump hopes to start playing good Snooker, much like he did last year at this stage, but faces a tough test in Kyren Wilson, their h2h being very close.

The other 2 Quarter-Finals has 12 world titles in them. 2010 champion Neil Robertson up against 3 time champion Mark Selby, their only match at The Crucible here came in 2014 and it was a classic affair, so expect more of the same again.

And last but by no means least, 2 legends of the game, 5 time champion Ronnie O'Sullivan v 3 time champion Mark Williams. This pair has met here 4 times, O'Sullivan winning them all. But their only Quarter-Final meeting was a belter, came in 2006 and O'Sullivan won 13-11, so maybe more of the same if the pattern of the close matches in this tournament continues.

Shall we have close matches all the way, or will one or more players make a move? Sit back and enjoy.

DRAW

ORDER OF PLAY

Monday 10th of August

10am

Judd Trump v Kyren Wilson Trump leads 8-7
Mark Selby v Neil Robertson Selby leads 18-14

2.30pm

Kurt Maflin v Anthony McGill Maflin leads 3-2
Mark Williams v Ronnie O'Sullivan O'Sullivan leads 31-11

7pm

Judd Trump v Kyren Wilson Trump leads 8-7
Mark Selby v Neil Robertson Selby leads 18-14

** Denotes Final Session of a Match

Re: Betfred World Championship (Mon Aug 10th) Quarter-Finals

Postby vodkadiet1

O'Sullivan has got in to a routine of losing to a player that he usually dominates for a first Crucible loss to that player so it would follow that he will lose to Williams in their fifth Crucible meeting. But this time I very much doubt it.

Postby Iranu

It’s an absolutely brilliant quarter final line up.

6 established winners: one looking to break the curse, three multiple champions, one looking to finally win his second after a decade of underperforming here.

And a couple of qualifiers to spice things up: a former top 16 player who’s trying to rekindle his form and a somewhat-journeyman in the form of his life.

Postby Acé

Just goes to show that even in Snooker you can have match-up issues, ROnnie leads a 3x WC champion, one of the all time greats, 31-11, bizarre

I knew Ronnie had a very good H2H vs Williams but didn't know it was that big, while Williams is probably more suited to play Selby than Ronnie is I bet

It's like Federer/Nadal/Djokovic match-ups, a bit, Federer used to have trouble with Nadal and less with Djokovic, now it's the opposite where Nadal is Federer's bunny

sport is amazing

Postby Andre147

vodkadiet1 wrote:O'Sullivan has got in to a routine of losing to a player that he usually dominates for a first Crucible loss to that player so it would follow that he will lose to Williams in their fifth Crucible meeting. But this time I very much doubt it.

I have thought about this silly pattern..

Cahill excluded, lost to Bingham, Hawkins, Ding and Carter. MJW another one he has a great h2h. Hope not again.

Postby Andre147

Iranu wrote:I still don’t know who to root for between MJW and Ronnie.

I think I’m edging towards MJW. But only slightly.

Ding and MJW in consecutive matches v Ronnie.

Not good for your head is it...

Postby Iranu

Andre147 wrote:

Ding and MJW in consecutive matches v Ronnie.

Not good for your head is it...

Literally my three favourite players, and they don’t even meet at the one table setup. Bit annoying but as was mentioned earlier, a few years ago I’d never have expected Mark and Ronnie to meet in a world Quarter final again.

At least I’ll have someone to support in the semis.

Postby Iranu

Juddernaut88 wrote:I'm pretty sure Mark Williams went something like 12 years without beating Ronnie in a ranking event at one stage. He's got an awful record against him. Let's see if can change that!

Didn’t Ronnie say that to him the day that Mark finally beat him? rofl

Postby Andre147

Iranu wrote:
Juddernaut88 wrote:I'm pretty sure Mark Williams went something like 12 years without beating Ronnie in a ranking event at one stage. He's got an awful record against him. Let's see if can change that!

Didn’t Ronnie say that to him the day that Mark finally beat him? rofl

More important than that...

It was the tournament when AC or LT said : "Ronnie's no longer a tournament finalist, he showed that in Chengdu".

Postby BringBackTonyDrago

Well if Ronnie wins the whole thing I win 5000
Selby I get back 1000
Wilson I get back 1000
Wilians I get back a grand. (Edit typo not Wilkins lol)

So I’m guranteed atleast one of these in the semi finals.

I don’t think I’m going to be lucky with my pics this year though.
Last edited by BringBackTonyDrago on 10 Aug 2020, edited 1 time in total.

Postby SnookerEd25

Simple; go for whoever is behind & hope for a final frame shootout.

Postby mick745

Fancy Trump to beat Wilson and therefore reach the final.

He'll play one of O"Sullivan (5 time winner), Williams (3 time winner), Selby (3 time winner) or Robertson (1 time winner).

All those finals are mouth watering. However, really hope it is either Robertson-Trump or Selby-Trump.

Of course a Wilson win v Trump would really put the cat amongst the pigeons.

McGill or Maflin aint getting to the final.

Postby Prop

BringBackTonyDrago wrote:Well if Ronnie wins the whole thing I win 5000
Selby I get back 1000
Wilson I get back 1000
Wilkins I get back a grand.

So I’m guranteed atleast one of these in the semi finals.

I don’t think I’m going to be lucky with my pics this year though.

Wilkins! Of course, I should have put a lump on him myself. I do enjoy watching Wilkins play. Very natural.

Joking aside, what was your total outlay (if you don’t mind saying)?

I don’t gamble. Never will. But I find it interesting.

Postby McManusFan

mick745 wrote:Fancy Trump to beat Wilson and therefore reach the final.

He'll play one of O"Sullivan (5 time winner), Williams (3 time winner), Selby (3 time winner) or Robertson (1 time winner).

All those finals are mouth watering. However, really hope it is either Robertson-Trump or Selby-Trump.

Did you not see how Maflin played against Higgins? He was phenomenal! I think it's a serious mistake to write him off.

That said, it wouldn't be too surprising if his form does fall off a cliff for the next match.

Postby Prop

McManusFan wrote:

Did you not see how Maflin played against Higgins? He was phenomenal! I think it's a serious mistake to write him off.

That said, it wouldn't be too surprising if his form does fall off a cliff for the next match.

Tends to happen with lower ranked players who unexpectedly get through the first and/or second round at the Worlds. Almost like they’ve spent every shred of energy to get as far as they have, and then suddenly they’ve no experience of multi-sessions to fall back on when they come up against a brick wall in the quarters low on concentration.

Postby McManusFan

Prop wrote:
McManusFan wrote:

Tends to happen with lower ranked players who unexpectedly get through the first and/or second round at the Worlds. Almost like they’ve spent every shred of energy to get as far as they have, and then suddenly they’ve no experience of multi-sessions to fall back on when they come up against a brick wall in the quarters low on concentration.

It does often happen, but with McGill being good rather than great means Maflin probably won't have to play to the same level for his next match. If he gets to the semis, who knows? Trump certainly hasn't been knocking anyone for six, although Wilson might be an issue.