Post a reply

Re: Betfred World Championship (Mon Aug 10th) Quarter-Finals

Postby Andre147

Pink Ball wrote:
Andre147 wrote:Wild Selby is your favourite player I understand, but do try to be less bias sometimes...

Don't call us idiots, Selby was ganite in his safety play yes, BUT he didn't force Robbo to take 30 sec every shot did he? Even in his normal breaks he was overthinking. Selby only gets to his opponents heads because they allow him to. Same thing has happened with Ronnie.

yes brilliant tactic by Selby, but it's his opponents fault for failing to see they are taking way too much time than their normal.

What has happened in this match is totally different to what we've seen him do to O'Sullivan, though. It's not that Ronnie slows down or changes his rhythym. He just stops presenting opportunities to O'Sullivan. If Selby beats O'Sullivan or Williams in the semi-final, I'm almost certain it won't be by actually disrupting their usual pace or rhythym. They are too clever to fall for that. Selby would beat them by just playing exceptionally good granite snooker.

That was never going to be the case with Robertson, and it isn't the case.

O'Sullivan did slow down by the 3rd session of the 2014 Final.

But yes it's not even as bad as Robertson. Only has himself to blame.

Postby Cloud Strife

Andre147 wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:
Ck147 wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:Utterly dreadful performance by Robertson.

Couldn't have been much worse could it? Just don't get it, we all know how good he can be, he came into the match with totally the wrong strategy. Like someone else said, does he have a coach, or someone in his corner to slap him round the chops? He bloody needed that today. I hope a night of painting war puppets and playing pac-man sets him up for producing a great come back tomorrow.

And keep in mind... all this happened last year against Higgins as well. He is letting himself down badly.

yes this happens against other players, not just against Selby.

So something is wrong there.

He's been like this here twice before against Milkins of all people. Milkins ffs.

Postby csprince

SnookerFan wrote:
ROS147 wrote:
Andre147 wrote:
Alex0paul wrote:Playing 2:30pm and then 7pm is exactly what they do in most finals. Stop crying about it

1 pm and 7pm.

12pm and 7pm.

Working 9 to 5. What a way to make a living.

rofl rofl

Postby ROS147

Robertson’s Crucible record has been terrible for someone of his class. Other than when he won it in 2010 he’s only made two semi-finals and four quarters. He’s lost to Milkins twice in round one, and quite often failed to turn up against top players. It’s bizarre.

Postby TheRocket

I still remember these two Milkins matches. Milkins was playing his natural game and quick while Robertson tried to turn the match into a tactical affair despite being a much superior potter and scorer than the Milkman. He broke his own rhythm in the end and lost.

Postby Iranu

Wildey wrote:Ok come on then clever clogs how was he meant to do it then. Lets not forget Selby has done this to Higgins and Ronnie its not just Robbo hes Got playing negative. Selby knows all about Robbo and he exploited it to the max Brilliant Grinding loved every second of it fascinating stuff.

Don’t talk to me like a child.

Robertson was taking 30 seconds a shot basically from frame 1. How does Selby’s grinding make Robbo walk around the table three times on a simple pink? How is it not down to Robbo that he can’t just get down and pot the ball? As I said, this happens with Robbo all the time, not just against Selby. He’s said it himself, he knows it’s an issue. He just can’t help himself.

Postby Wildey

Pink Ball wrote:This is horse rubbish and you know it is. This doesn’t just happen against Selby, FAR from it. Robertson does this several times a year. He was knocked out of last year’s World Championship because of this. Not by Selby. This is a massive failing in his game, what is so hard to understand about this? The only fella I can think of who has this quirk so glaringly is Ricky Walden.

It is possible to think Selby has played really well without accepting that he has done something special or unique here.

How do you think Steve Davis won so much by allowing Alex Higgins and Jimmy White to play their natural game or stop them playing their natural game? same with Ray Reardon.

In that match Neil went for every long pot he got, and he potted most yea in the past hes backed away from that, but he didn't in that match he tried to get things going, but he just couldn't either balls was awkward or safeties was good i thought Robbo's safety play was brilliant at times but Selby's safety wet up a notch in this match and it made chances difficult for Neil.

you lot only see what you want to see facts dont matter.

Postby Cloud Strife

Wildey wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:This is horse rubbish and you know it is. This doesn’t just happen against Selby, FAR from it. Robertson does this several times a year. He was knocked out of last year’s World Championship because of this. Not by Selby. This is a massive failing in his game, what is so hard to understand about this? The only fella I can think of who has this quirk so glaringly is Ricky Walden.

It is possible to think Selby has played really well without accepting that he has done something special or unique here.

How do you think Steve Davis won so much by allowing Alex Higgins and Jimmy White to play their natural game or stop them playing their natural game? same with Ray Reardon.

In that match Neil went for every long pot he got, and he potted most yea in the past hes backed away from that, but he didn't in that match he tried to get things going, but he just couldn't either balls was awkward or safeties was good i thought Robbo's safety play was brilliant at times but Selby's safety wet up a notch in this match and it made chances difficult for Neil.

Cool story, bro.

Postby carayip

Wildey wrote:i was just thinking The Winner of Selby v Robbo plays Ronnie or Williams maybe Ronnie would rather lose to williams than go 4 sessions of torture

Although I can see both MJW and Ronnie lose to Selby, they sure as hell will not be fazed by any of his tactics

Postby Iranu

Wildey wrote:i was just thinking The Winner of Selby v Robbo plays Ronnie or Williams maybe Ronnie would rather lose to williams than go 4 sessions of torture

If Ronnie loses it’s because he’s not playing well enough. He’s not doing anything he didn’t do against Ding.

Don’t make excuses for Ronnie or his fans will use them.

Postby Iranu

Wildey wrote:

How do you explain Robertson taking 30 seconds per shot from the outset? What does that have to do with Selby?