Post a reply

Re: Ronnie says he was kind of "blackmailed" into playing th

Postby Holden Chinaski

Dan-cat wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:When you see Ronnie saying stuff like that most of the time he's dying laughing while he says it and he clearly likes to take the snake hiss with the media... But the press prints it as if he's giving a presidential speech or something.

...and the Ronnie-haters fall for it everytime <laugh>

Because they want to, I think.

Postby mick745

Hearing Mark Williams speaking about his father working down the mines was refreshing when he says he now appreciates how lucky is his.

Ronnie is not doing the sport any favours again.

People with "proper" jobs look at these entitled millionaire players whining and whinging on and just think to themselves.

"Go and work in Sainsbury's then if it is so hard".

Professional sportspeople get to do something they love and get paid for it (and paid handsomely in some cases). 99% of the population dont.

Postby SnookerFan

mick745 wrote:Hearing Mark Williams speaking about his father working down the mines was refreshing when he says he now appreciates how lucky is his.

People with "proper" jobs look at these entitled millionaire players whining and whinging on and just think to themselves.

Professional sportspeople get to do something they love and get paid for it (and paid handsomely in some cases). 99% of the population dont.

Be reasonable.

He hates to play in Crawley. Imagine how hard it must be, having a one-week tournament a year that you're under no obligation to play in, in a place you despise.

Postby Holden Chinaski

mick745 wrote:
People with "proper" jobs look at these entitled millionaire players whining and whinging on and just think to themselves..

Ronnie is the most popular player without a doubt. Thousands of people with "proper" jobs love to watch him play and Ronnie's the main reason snooker is popular these days.

I'm sure Ronnie would rather not give interviews but the media can't get enough of him because he's the only player people seem to want to read about...

All Ronnie was saying is he had lots of pressure on him as a kid and it wasn't easy to fulfil all the expectations. I don't see anything wrong with that. I didn't have that kind of pressure as a kid. I also think players like Ronnie have worked hard and have practised many, many hours to achieve what they have. I also think it must suck to live like a celebrity and be followed by paparazzi and have the media twist your words...
Last edited by Holden Chinaski on 04 Aug 2020, edited 1 time in total.

Postby mick745

Dan-cat wrote:Good lord your Ronnie-haters are easily scandalized. So easily outraged.

Well, that led me onto something I hadn't yet seen - the Break vodcast with Andy Goldstein where Ronnie discusses his time with Ray Reardon. It's brilliant. I will make a seperate thread.

It must be awful being a Ronnie-hater. What a strange tower of hate you've built for yourself, a perverse construction in your mind. Hating the greatest exponent the game has ever seen. Of course, nothing I say will change your mind, because it's a rare kind of stubbornness that decides to hate the best exponent that ever happened to their favourite sport.

A bit like being a huge fan of nature documentaries, and hating David Attenborough. Look before you Ronnie-haters get your knickers in a twist, I'm half-joking. I geddit, it's ok not to like someone. But Ronnie? Seriously? Pfffft. :-D

I still love you. Even the Ronnie-haters. Don't hate me. It takes all sorts.

It is possible to enjoy watching someone play but dislike them as a person. John McEnroe is an example. Superb tennis player to watch, but a brat. If people only liked the "greatest exponent" of something there wouldnt be many fans of the others. There a many reasons why you would be a "fan" of someone or a team, skill being one factor out of many others.

Postby SnookerFan

Holden Chinaski wrote:
mick745 wrote:
People with "proper" jobs look at these entitled millionaire players whining and whinging on and just think to themselves..

Ronnie is the most popular player without a doubt. Thousands of people with "proper" jobs love to watch him play and Ronnie's the main reason snooker is popular these days.

I'm sure Ronnie would rather not give interviews but the media can't get enough of him because he's the only player people seem to want to read about...

All Ronnie was saying is he had lots of pressure on him as a kid and it wasn't easy to fulfil all the expectations. I don't see anything wrong with that. I didn't have that kind of pressure as a kid. I also think players like Ronnie have worked hard and have practised many, many hours to achieve what they have. I also think it must suck to live like a celebrity and be followed by paparazzi and have the media twist your words...

Yeah. A lot of his fans are idiots and all. :stir:

Postby mick745

Holden Chinaski wrote:
mick745 wrote:

Diddums

Postby Holden Chinaski

SnookerFan wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:
mick745 wrote:

A lot of people are idiots. That's just how it is.

Postby SnookerFan

Holden Chinaski wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:
mick745 wrote:

A lot of people are idiots. That's just how it is.

:stir:

Postby Cloud Strife

mick745 wrote:Hearing Mark Williams speaking about his father working down the mines was refreshing when he says he now appreciates how lucky is his.

You do realise he was joking, right? <doh>

Postby mick745

Cloud Strife wrote:

But most people are only going to read the headlines and form an opinion on that.

Postby Juddernaut88

:goodpost:

Postby Cloud Strife

mick745 wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:

But most people are only going to read the headlines and form an opinion on that.

So Ronnie’s to blame for idiots basing their ill-informed opinions on a few clickbait headlines?
Last edited by Cloud Strife on 04 Aug 2020, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Cloud Strife

Holden Chinaski wrote:
mick745 wrote:

Yes, the media sucks and a lot of people form an opinion without reading the articles. Not Ronnie's fault.

Indeed.

Postby Holden Chinaski

MJW also whinges from time to time. He said he hates playing at the Crucible. He likes to talk rubbish as well about Hearn and stuff, on Twitter mainly. He has also said 'let Ronnie say what he want's because he puts bums in seats and brings money to the game'.

Postby Holden Chinaski

mick745 wrote:It must be so difficult being a millionaire superstar who never has to work again when millions of people are about to lose their jobs around the world due to covid.

What you're saying has nothing to do with Ronnie. Every person has the right to complain sometimes. Lots of rich people commit suicide because they are not happy, you know? Ronnie has lots of money but he has also worked hard, from a very young age. He also supports lots of charity organisations and he once was feeding the homeless <laugh>

You are making a big deal out of nothing. Talking about Covid, Ronnie was one of the players who dared to say to Hearn he needs to think about players' health...

Postby Holden Chinaski

SnookerFan wrote:Yeah, but if you criticise another player nobody cares. You criticise Ronnie, and there'll be ten pages of people defending him.

If players like MJW or Trump say stuff like this, it doesn't get much attention. Ronnie half-jokingly says something and people act as if he's Satan. He didn't say anything wrong FFS.

Postby SnookerFan

Holden Chinaski wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Yeah, but if you criticise another player nobody cares. You criticise Ronnie, and there'll be ten pages of people defending him.

If players like MJW or Trump say stuff like this, it doesn't get much attention. Ronnie half-jokingly says something and people act as if he's Satan. He didn't say anything wrong FFS.

They get criticised, then people move on.

You criticise Ronnie, you get 10 pages of people asking you to defend yourself. So it gets a lot of conversation.

Postby mick745

The truth is not everybody who likes snooker likes Ronnie. In fact many have got sick and tired of his off the table (and sometimes on the table) antics over many years.

He first threatened to retire in 1994 for heaven's sake and who knows how many times since?

What does he want us to do, beg?

Nobody is saying he is not a gifted player. Doesnt mean everyone has to like him does it?

Postby Holden Chinaski

SnookerFan wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:

They get criticised, then people move on.

You criticise Ronnie, you get 10 pages of people asking you to defend yourself. So it gets a lot of conversation.

And this is why the media makes these fake over the top and out of context headlines about Ronnie all the time...

Postby Holden Chinaski

mick745 wrote:The truth is not everybody who likes snooker likes Ronnie. In fact many have got sick and tired of his off the table (and sometimes on the table) antics over many years.

He first threatened to retire in 1994 for heaven's sake and who knows how many times since?

What does he want us to do, beg?

Nobody is saying he is not a gifted player. Doesnt mean everyone has to like him does it?

Of course it's OK and understandable if you don't like him. But when he says nothing wrong and you act like he's Satan because he makes a joke or says he had a bit of pressure in his childhood, your hatred seems unreasonable to me. That's all.