Post a reply

Ronnie says he was kind of "blackmailed" into playing the WC

Postby D4P

“I pick out the events that actually I feel like I can enjoy. This is one event that I never really enjoyed and the Masters is another one I really don’t enjoy. I was kind of blackmailed into playing in this event.

“My sponsors and my ambassadors were like ‘we really want you to play in the World Championship’ so this was kind of done for them – it’s more of a team effort.”

-https://snookerhq.com/2020/08/03/ronnie-this-one-event-never-really-enjoyed/

Re: Ronnie says he was kind of "blackmailed" into playing th

Postby Cloud Strife

Scooper wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEPZe68prnc

The way he says it is a lot more lighthearted than it reads

Of course it's lighthearted, but try telling that to the haters on here who jump on his every word, as if he were the devil or something.

Postby Ck147

My missus tried to blackmail me by holding back certain favours if I didn't mow the lawn and take the rubbish out. I blocked the joint account and hid the car a couple of streets away, soon changed her tune, stupid moo.

Postby Cloud Strife

Ck147 wrote:My missus tried to blackmail me by holding back certain favours if I didn't mow the lawn and take the rubbish out. I blocked the joint account and hid the car a couple of streets away, soon changed her tune, stupid moo.

Not sure if serious...

Postby D4P

Yeah, I agree after just listening to the interview. He also said that, before the pandemic, his plan was to show up in Sheffield on the day of his first match and then go home in between matches (as long as he was winning). It sounded from his interview as if he's still planning to go home between matches, though I'm not sure if that's allowed...?

Postby Holden Chinaski

Cloud Strife wrote:

Of course it's lighthearted, but try telling that to the haters on here who jump on his every word, as if he were the devil or something.

Indeed.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Badsnookerplayer wrote:
The_Abbott wrote:I was blackmailed too. My boss told me to get back to work or your fired.

Blackmail is not a laughing matter. I haven't read the article as I dread to think what they threatened to do to him if he failed to enter.

What a complete hammer.

Are you mental?

Postby Dan-cat

Good lord your Ronnie-haters are easily scandalized. So easily outraged.

Well, that led me onto something I hadn't yet seen - the Break vodcast with Andy Goldstein where Ronnie discusses his time with Ray Reardon. It's brilliant. I will make a seperate thread.

It must be awful being a Ronnie-hater. What a strange tower of hate you've built for yourself, a perverse construction in your mind. Hating the greatest exponent the game has ever seen. Of course, nothing I say will change your mind, because it's a rare kind of stubbornness that decides to hate the best exponent that ever happened to their favourite sport.

A bit like being a huge fan of nature documentaries, and hating David Attenborough. Look before you Ronnie-haters get your knickers in a twist, I'm half-joking. I geddit, it's ok not to like someone. But Ronnie? Seriously? Pfffft. :-D

I still love you. Even the Ronnie-haters. Don't hate me. It takes all sorts.

Postby Dan-cat

SnookerFan wrote:Dan. rofl

Goes of on a big rant, you're all wrong, how could you hate Ronnie?

Ps. It takes all sorts.

I know mate <laugh> and I'm hoping no-one notices the massive flaw in my David Attenborough analogy - he doesn't act like a bellend sometimes. Lolz. :-D

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Dan-cat wrote:Are there football fans that hate Gazza? Tennis fans that hate Federer?

Probably.

Muppet post.

People admire Gazza's skills but don't approve of some of his behaviours - particularly when he acts like a hammer.

I admire Ronnie's play but think he behaves like a childish hammer a lot of the time.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Alex0paul wrote:https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/snooker/53638395

Jesus Christ

These are all just off the cuff remarks Ronnie half-jokingly says and the media blows it out of proportion and the haters act as if he's dead serious. All he's saying there is he had a lot of pressure on him when he was a kid.

All he was saying about the "kind of blackmailed" thing is that his sponsors convinced him to play the Worlds. Wow, shocking.

Postby Holden Chinaski

When you see Ronnie saying stuff like that most of the time he's dying laughing while he says it and he clearly likes to take the snake hiss with the media... But the press prints it as if he's giving a presidential speech or something.

Postby Dan-cat

Holden Chinaski wrote:When you see Ronnie saying stuff like that most of the time he's dying laughing while he says it and he clearly likes to take the snake hiss with the media... But the press prints it as if he's giving a presidential speech or something.

...and the Ronnie-haters fall for it everytime <laugh>