Post a reply

Re: Coral Tour Championship Semi Final!!

Postby Prop

Iranu wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:
Iranu wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:I like Joe Perry but he is the only commentator who I find difficult to listen to.

He has a weird inflection at the end of sentences, sounds kind of like when Murphy was commentating.

Yeah - it is fine but since I first noticed it drives me mad. Murphy is definitely the other one who does it. I wonder why - they don't speak like that normally.

Trying to put on a “commentator voice” I suppose. I remember when Davis first started commentary he’d kind of half whisper, like a discount Ted Lowe. Seemed particularly pointless when he was sat next to the thunderous voice of Virgo!

You’re all forgetting Clive Everton. He’s always done it, as far as I remember. Although he’s very good on the ears despite it. Murphy sounds terrible. I quite like Perry.

Postby Prop

Badsnookerplayer wrote:I'm not forgetting Everton - just excusing him. With Perry it sounds like what Iranu said about trying to do a commentator voice. Maybe he will change in time.

Yeah, I agree. Luckily Perry doesn’t grate on me personally. He speaks enough sense and there’s no ambiguity in his commentary. Unlike for example old-guard Eurosport commentator Joe Johnson: “And if he can cannon that red...” WHICH red Joe, it could be any of 4?!

Postby Prop

Holden Chinaski wrote:Nobody will ever come close to Clive for me. Definitely my favourite commentator.

Hendry is close, for me. But yes, Clive is the daddy. I hope he’s doing alright after his accident.

Postby McManusFan

Prop wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:Nobody will ever come close to Clive for me. Definitely my favourite commentator.

Hendry is close, for me. But yes, Clive is the daddy. I hope he’s doing alright after his accident.

I agree, Clive's great, but for me it's got to be Angles.

Postby McManusFan

Badsnookerplayer wrote:
McManusFan wrote:Was that a fluke from Mags?

I am not sure but inclined to think it was. Needs further analysis IMO

Yeah, they don't seem to be quite as clear cut today.

Postby Prop

Juddernaut88 wrote:Worrying signs here for Judd. He's badly struggling and trailing 2-1

He’s there for the taking. Hitting across lots of shots and doesn’t look settled one bit.

Postby Prop

McManusFan wrote:
Prop wrote:

Angles is decent, but for me he gets a bit carried away sometimes when someone plays an average shot. By Jove!!!

Postby McManusFan

Prop wrote:
McManusFan wrote:
Prop wrote:

Angles is decent, but for me he gets a bit carried away sometimes when someone plays an average shot. By Jove!!!

I know what you mean, but I like the pantomime aspect to it.

Postby chengdufan

Juddernaut88 wrote:Worrying signs here for Judd. He's badly struggling and trailing 2-1

He may as well pack up his cue and go home. Rare to see anyone come back from 2-1 down.

Postby Prop

chengdufan wrote:Does anyone remember Marcel Eckhardt's referee voice when he first arrived on the screen?

The faux-baritone?

Postby Badsnookerplayer

chengdufan wrote:

He may as well pack up his cue and go home. Rare to see anyone come back from 2-1 down.

Somehow he is fighting back.

Incredible resilience