Post a reply

Re: Coral Players Championship Quarter Finals!!!!!

Postby Holden Chinaski

SnookerEd25 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
SnookerEd25 wrote:
Ck147 wrote:Some other halves didn't get it either. I told her the 50p one, she liked that, and the nun and the blind man. Made her laugh so I'm in her good books now, thank you SF

SnookerFan is the Island's resident relationship counsellor <ok>

Then why am I still single?

Kenneth Williams played an un-married marriage gudiance counsellor in 'Carry On Loving'. So you're in good company. :spot on:

SnookerFan is very similar to Kenneth Williams rofl

Postby mick745

Yan has been predicted to have a bright future for ages now, maybe this is his breakthrough season. I was impressed with his mental resolve last night after he seemed to throw the match away.

Some of his safety play under pressure was superb and this is usually the weakness of the young players and the aspect of the game they learn slowest.

Now i just think it is a question of how quickly he matures (some young stars are slower than others, Trump and Brecel spring to mind) but surely Yan is a regular tournament winner of the future?

Postby Iranu

mick745 wrote:Yan has been predicted to have a bright future for ages now, maybe this is his breakthrough season. I was impressed with his mental resolve last night after he seemed to throw the match away.

I think it’s already proven to be, unless something drastic changes next season.

One ranking victory (albeit Riga) and three semi-finals already.

And yeah his safety was superb in the decider.

Postby SnookerFan

mick745 wrote:Yan has been predicted to have a bright future for ages now, maybe this is his breakthrough season. I was impressed with his mental resolve last night after he seemed to throw the match away.

Some of his safety play under pressure was superb and this is usually the weakness of the young players and the aspect of the game they learn slowest.

Now i just think it is a question of how quickly he matures (some young stars are slower than others, Trump and Brecel spring to mind) but surely Yan is a regular tournament winner of the future?

I don't know where Hendry got the idea that he used to be known as an all out-potter when he first arrived on the scene.

He's always had a mature safety game.

Postby mantorok

Yan is a true product of the modern game, he's strong all round and most importantly can compete in the safety department. This is what has been lacking in the talent that's been coming through over the years.

Trump is also now epitomising the standard you need to be at to compete at the top level.

This really is raising the bar. You can't get away with being an all-out attacker anymore.

Postby Dan-cat

mantorok wrote:Yan is a true product of the modern game, he's strong all round and most importantly can compete in the safety department. This is what has been lacking in the talent that's been coming through over the years.

Trump is also now epitomising the standard you need to be at to compete at the top level.

This really is raising the bar. You can't get away with being an all-out attacker anymore.

Well said. We were dazzled by a 14 year old Lyu Haotian and thought that type of player was the future. But it's Steady Eddie Yan.

Postby mick745

Dan-cat wrote:
mantorok wrote:Yan is a true product of the modern game, he's strong all round and most importantly can compete in the safety department. This is what has been lacking in the talent that's been coming through over the years.

Well said. We were dazzled by a 14 year old Lyu Haotian and thought that type of player was the future. But it's Steady Eddie Yan.

I still hope Haotian will become a top player, top 16 anyhow.

Yan has a good chance of usurping Ding as China's number 1 player in the next couple of years. Will be interesting how he copes with the level of expectation.

Postby lhpirnie

mick745 wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:

Yan has a good chance of usurping Ding as China's number 1 player in the next couple of years. Will be interesting how he copes with the level of expectation.

Lyu Haotian's demise was caused by some off-the-table events which ultimately led to him quitting. He might have been the next Ding if he had been looked after properly, but that's lost now.

The immediate problem facing all the Chinese players is whether they can compete next season, due to travel restrictions on Chinese nationals. It could be that the World Championship is the last we see of any of them for several months. That would be a major setback, and several players outside top-50 could get relegated from the tour in 2021 due to missing too many 'ranking' tournaments.

Postby mick745

lhpirnie wrote:
mick745 wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:

Lyu Haotian's demise was caused by some off-the-table events which ultimately led to him quitting. He might have been the next Ding if he had been looked after properly, but that's lost now.

The immediate problem facing all the Chinese players is whether they can compete next season, due to travel restrictions on Chinese nationals. It could be that the World Championship is the last we see of any of them for several months. That would be a major setback, and several players outside top-50 could get relegated from the tour in 2021 due to missing too many 'ranking' tournaments.

Is it lost for him? He's only 22 and reached a ranking event final a year ago. Time is still on his side.

It would be a big blow if most of the chinese players cant compete next season, but some of them live here anyway. Hopefully some common sense can prevail if their rankings suffer through no fault of their own.

Postby lhpirnie

mick745 wrote:...
It would be a big blow if most of the chinese players cant compete next season, but some of them live here anyway. Hopefully some common sense can prevail if their rankings suffer through no fault of their own.

Common sense? When it comes to their ranking system, we are dealing with the most inflexible organisation in the world...

The Chinese players do live here, but they don't have indefinite leave to remain in UK, and the working VISAs probably expire at the end of the season. They also have families stranded in China. If they go back for any reason they will probably be grounded.

But it's still unclear what the effects of corona virus will be. There is talk of the Olympics being cancelled, so anything could happen.