Post a reply

Coral Players Championship Last 16!!!!!

Postby Wildey

Image Image Image
Monday 24th ~ Sunday 1st of March at the Southport Waterfront.

Ronnie O'Sullivan is Defending champion but he wont be defending his title he lost out narowly first to Zhou Yuelong and then eventually Michael Holt at the Shoot Out.

But there will be plenty of quality there with John Higgins, Ding Junhui, Mark Williams, Shaun Murphy, Mark Allen, Mark Selby, Neil Robertson and World Champion Judd Trump.

Who will make the Quarter Finals?

DRAW

Last 16
Judd Trump v Michael Holt Trump leads 7-5
John Higgins v Graeme Dott Higgins leads 21-8
Ding Junhui v Stephen Maguire Ding Junhui leads 9-7
Mark Selby v Mark Williams Selby leads 17-16
----------------------------------------
Neil Robertson v Joe Perry Robertson leads 15-10
Yan Bingtao v Kyren Wilson Wilson leads 1-0
Mark Allen v Thepchaiya Un-Nooh Un-Nooh leads 3-1
Shaun Murphy v David Gilbert Murphy leads 3-2

ORDER OF PLAY

NOT AVAILABLE IN THE UK

Re: Coral Players Championship Last 16!!!!!

Postby D4P

SnookerFan wrote:So, Ronnie didn't make it?

Nope, he fell $4,500 short. Holt got as many ranking points for winning 7 frames at the Shootout as Ronnie got for winning 60 frames on his way to the NI Open Final and Welsh Open Semi-final.

Makes perfect sense.

Postby McManusFan

SnookerFan wrote:Will ITV put Selby or Ding on tonight?

It's bound to me Selby, he's got a higher ranking in both the one and two year lists. Shame, was hoping for the Ding game.

Postby SnookerFan

McManusFan wrote:

It's bound to me Selby, he's got a higher ranking in both the one and two year lists. Shame, was hoping for the Ding game.

+1

Postby SnookerFan

D4P wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:So, Ronnie didn't make it?

Nope, he fell $4,500 short. Holt got as many ranking points for winning 7 frames at the Shootout as Ronnie got for winning 60 frames on his way to the NI Open Final and Welsh Open Semi-final.

Makes perfect sense.

I've made my objections to that clear.

Postby SnookerFan

Though, I'm not crying any tears that Ronnie isn't there, I do still think it's unfair that something like the Shoot-Out can affect a player's rank like that.

It's Mark Williams failing The Crucible all over again.

Postby SnookerEd25

McManusFan wrote:

world champ v world champ
world runner-up v world semi-finalist

Got to be Selby-Williams i'd have thought...

Postby carayip

SnookerFan wrote:Though, I'm not crying any tears that Ronnie isn't there, I do still think it's unfair that something like the Shoot-Out can affect a player's rank like that.

It's Mark Williams failing The Crucible all over again.

Ronnie had too many tournaments to play and too many trophies in his life to lose sleep over something like that. The shootout gave someone like Michael Holt to fulfill a life long dream

Postby SnookerFan

carayip wrote:Ronnie had too many tournaments to play and too many trophies in his life to lose sleep over something like that. The shootout gave someone like Michael Holt to fulfill a life long dream

True, I guess.

I always thought the PC and TC was a bit questionable in terms of having a ranking status as well though. Because I feel like it's double rewards. Get in the top-32/16/8 on the one year list, and get a chance to earn extra points.

I accept it more than the Shootout, because technically getting into the right position on the one-year list counts as a qualification process. And at least this is real snooker, not an exhibition version like the Shootout.

But somehow, the Shootout having a say in who gets into the PC and TC seems wrong somehow. And I say that to be fair. I'm happy for Michael Holt and would love to see him do well here, and am not going to sweat it that Ronnie isn't there. But I didn't think the Shootout having an affect on Mark Williams not automatically qualifying for The Crucible was right. And I don't think it's fair here either. Irregardless of personal feelings towards the players it benefits/harms.

Postby McManusFan

SnookerEd25 wrote:
McManusFan wrote:

world champ v world champ
world runner-up v world semi-finalist

Got to be Selby-Williams i'd have thought...

Yeah, it's fair enough really. If it weren't for Selby and Williams being a bit iffy of late, I'd expect it to be a good match.

Postby Iranu

To be fair, Ronnie’s not out of the PC and TC because of the Shoot Out.

He’s out of them because he’s skipped a bunch of tournaments and not performed well enough in the ones he attended.

If he’d played the German and/or European Masters he probably wouldn’t be in this situation.

Postby SnookerFan

Iranu wrote:To be fair, Ronnie’s not out of the PC and TC because of the Shoot Out.

He’s out of them because he’s skipped a bunch of tournaments and not performed well enough in the ones he attended.

If he’d played the German and/or European Masters he probably wouldn’t be in this situation.

Yes. He's pulled out of tournaments, and deliberately played kamikaze in others.

I'm against the Shootout making a difference in this way, but I will concede it wasn't the only factor here. Some of it was Ronnie's own fault.

A player can pick and chose what tournaments he enters, fair enough. But any consequences they suffer from not entering are down to them.

Postby Alex0paul

O’Sullivan played in the Shootout though and Jolt did better than him in it so deserves to be at Southport

Postby Andre147

Alex0paul wrote:O’Sullivan played in the Shootout though and Jolt did better than him in it so deserves to be at Southport

Yeah I agree.

ROS should never have been in that position in the first place. Someone mentioned here and it's true, that China tournament which he lost first round against Dale cost him dearly as those tournaments have increased prize money, plus him playing kamikaze for some tournaments didnt also help.

Postby mantorok

SteveJJ wrote:And whilst people call the shootout a lottery, it wasn't like he didnt have chances in the game he lost.

Not to derail this thread but he was edgy as buck, the simple red he missed showed he was under pressure, he won't be happy with this but it's his own doing, the fact that he even entered the shootout shows he didn't want to miss out on this tournament.

Hoping he knuckles down for Sheffield, but he hasn't been the most reliable this season. I know we keep saying it but this has been an odd season and almost feels like he's winding down.

Postby SnookerFan

mantorok wrote:
SteveJJ wrote:And whilst people call the shootout a lottery, it wasn't like he didnt have chances in the game he lost.

Not to derail this thread but he was edgy as buck, the simple red he missed showed he was under pressure, he won't be happy with this but it's his own doing, the fact that he even entered the shootout shows he didn't want to miss out on this tournament.

Hoping he knuckles down for Sheffield, but he hasn't been the most reliable this season. I know we keep saying it but this has been an odd season and almost feels like he's winding down.

He's getting ready to announce his breakway tour with Higgins and Selby.