Post a reply

Re: ManBetX Welsh Open Quarter-Finals !!!

Postby HustleKing

Pink Ball wrote:I saw my county win their first All-Ireland in 32 years back in 1998. 60-odd thousand people there. It was bucking incredible.

A first-round match at the Crucible is better.

Celtic Park or Anfield on a big European night?

Postby Pink Ball

HustleKing wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:I saw my county win their first All-Ireland in 32 years back in 1998. 60-odd thousand people there. It was bucking incredible.

A first-round match at the Crucible is better.

Celtic Park or Anfield on a big European night?

I've done Elland Road on a European night. Close as I've come.

Postby Alex0paul

HustleKing wrote:
Alex0paul wrote:Anfield is a bucking library

Home Park packed to the rafters every week?

Yea it is actually for the league we are in. Not full of tourists either

Postby McManusFan

To be fair to Murphy, he did say he didn't want the worlds to move from the Crucible, but just thought it would. What I took umbrage with is when he said he wanted snooker to be more like Wimbledon in that it's mainly about the strawberries and cream, and which celebrities are in.

Even though I've never been to the Crucible (or any live snooker for that matter, something I intend to correct when I get back from Aus), I can say the worlds at the crucible is head and shoulders above any other tournament. I don't think it's purely down to the format, although that clearly helps, as the tour championship has long matches and it still doesn't have that feel to it. Just by watching it on the TV you can tell the players are all loving being there (even the ones who say they don't like it).

I also have doubt about the business angle. I get the idea behind trying to get rich people into snooker by providing VIP crap, and thus get more lucrative sponsors, but snooker isn't a posh sport and I don't think it ever will be no matter how hard they try.

Postby Snooker89

McManusFan wrote:To be fair to Murphy, he did say he didn't want the worlds to move from the Crucible, but just thought it would. What I took umbrage with is when he said he wanted snooker to be more like Wimbledon in that it's mainly about the strawberries and cream, and which celebrities are in.

Even though I've never been to the Crucible (or any live snooker for that matter, something I intend to correct when I get back from Aus), I can say the worlds at the crucible is head and shoulders above any other tournament. I don't think it's purely down to the format, although that clearly helps, as the tour championship has long matches and it still doesn't have that feel to it. Just by watching it on the TV you can tell the players are all loving being there (even the ones who say they don't like it).

I also have doubt about the business angle. I get the idea behind trying to get rich people into snooker by providing VIP crap, and thus get more lucrative sponsors, but snooker isn't a posh sport and I don't think it ever will be no matter how hard they try.

Actually Snookers origins weren't actually of a working class game. The image of the game is also different in China than say in England where it is perceived as working class. The game also desperately needs big name companies sponsorsing events.

Postby McManusFan

Snooker89 wrote:
McManusFan wrote:To be fair to Murphy, he did say he didn't want the worlds to move from the Crucible, but just thought it would. What I took umbrage with is when he said he wanted snooker to be more like Wimbledon in that it's mainly about the strawberries and cream, and which celebrities are in.

Actually Snookers origins weren't actually of a working class game. The image of the game is also different in China than say in England where it is perceived as working class. The game also desperately needs big name companies sponsorsing events.

Good point about China, I know the perception of snooker there is much more of an affluent sport, which I believe is why the tickets there are very expensive, and why barely anyone goes to watch any of the China matches.

I just think that the better way to grow snooker is to go online more, and hopefully make it more global, rather than to try and emulate tennis.

Postby chengdufan

McManusFan wrote:
Snooker89 wrote:

Good point about China, I know the perception of snooker there is much more of an affluent sport, which I believe is why the tickets there are very expensive, and why barely anyone goes to watch any of the China matches.

I just think that the better way to grow snooker is to go online more, and hopefully make it more global, rather than to try and emulate tennis.

rofl
You have definitely not been to a snooker hall in China. There are rare higher end places, sure. But the vast majority are absolute dives, full of layabouts and smoke. The main differences from England are that they play music while you play, everyone talks loudly, there's no etiquette, and no bar.
These places have been around for decades, and snooker is not something you'd like your children to play unless you are happy for them to end up in a labouring job.

Postby McManusFan

chengdufan wrote:rofl
You have definitely not been to a snooker hall in China. There are rare higher end places, sure. But the vast majority are absolute dives, full of layabouts and smoke. The main differences from England are that they play music while you play, everyone talks loudly, there's no etiquette, and no bar.
These places have been around for decades, and snooker is not something you'd like your children to play unless you are happy for them to end up in a labouring job.

That's interesting. I got this impression from the commentators explaining why tickets for the Chinese events are so expensive. I should have realised they didn't have a clue what they were talking about!