Post a reply

Re: ManBetX Welsh Open Last 64 !!!!

Postby Cloud Strife

Dan-cat wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:
Iranu wrote:Interesting stuff from Chen, clearing the last 4 reds and colours while needing 3 snookers. Getting some table time in despite having already won the first frame.

Might be something more players should do more often.

They used to do it a lot more in the 80s. Seems perfectly reasonable to me. If you've been frozen out, get the cue arm going, pots some balls, get warmed.

Frozen out? He won the frame.

Eh? post above said he needed three snookers, and just cleared the colours. Frame to his opponent.

Cheng won the opening frame. It was the second frame in which he came back to the table to clear the balls despite needing three snookers.

Postby McManusFan

Ding's looking good, not killing off the frames quick but he's potting some good balls. I wonder if Terry being at the venue is helping him out.

Postby McManusFan

Dan-cat wrote:
McManusFan wrote:Ding's looking good, not killing off the frames quick but he's potting some good balls. I wonder if Terry being at the venue is helping him out.

Do they still work together?

I'm not sure. When they did that feature on Terry retiring, I think he said he'd still coach players if they came to him, but I don't know if Ding does that. I'd be supprised if they didn't have a chat seen as they are at the same place.

Postby SnookerEd25

Terry's son has also worked with him in the past, but not sure if he still does, so this post is largely irrelevant. Feel free to ignore it.

Postby McManusFan

SnookerEd25 wrote:Terry's son has also worked with him in the past, but not sure if he still does, so this post is largely irrelevant. Feel free to ignore it.

Not sure about Ding, but Wayne Griffiths (I think that's his name) definately works/worked with Marco. I think he was/is out in Hong Kong.

Postby SnookerEd25

Ah. I may have got that a*se over t*t. Even more reason to ignore the original post then.

Postby Iranu

SnookerFan wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:
Iranu wrote:Interesting stuff from Chen, clearing the last 4 reds and colours while needing 3 snookers. Getting some table time in despite having already won the first frame.

Might be something more players should do more often.

They used to do it a lot more in the 80s. Seems perfectly reasonable to me. If you've been frozen out, get the cue arm going, pots some balls, get warmed.

Nah, he’d won the previous frame and was 1-0. I thought it was interesting because it wasn’t like he hadn’t experienced the table conditions (which is when players usually do that).

I can see a case being made for doing this later on in matches, particularly if you’ve lost one or two bad frames or you’re just not cuing well. Clear up the remaining balls with no pressure on to try and loosen your cue arm.

Let’s say you’re 5-4 down in a bo19. You lose two frames with some bad misses and you’ve lost confidence in your cuing. Why not pot the remaining balls in each of those two frames to try and get the confidence back, so you can get a couple of frames before the MSI? Rather than waiting for the interval to change things.

Postby mick745

I'm in the arena
Watching Selby. Like the ref.

Anyway for those coming later in the week be warned that the WST money grabbers arent letting you take your rucksacks into the arena and charging three pounds per nag to go into the cloakroom.

I think this is a new thing as i come every year and this is the first time i have had to do that.

I come for two days and stay overnight so bit annoyed.

Postby Dan-cat

SnookerEd25 wrote:Terry's son has also worked with him in the past, but not sure if he still does, so this post is largely irrelevant. Feel free to ignore it.

Terry passed on his Dai Lama wisdom? It would make sense. I think I read about his son somewhere

Postby SnookerFan

mick745 wrote:I'm in the arena

Anyway for those coming later in the week be warned that the WST money grabbers arent letting you take your rucksacks into the arena and charging three pounds per nag to go into the cloakroom.

I think this is a new thing as i come every year and this is the first time i have had to do that.

Are you allowed to take drinks in?

Postby lhpirnie

McManusFan wrote:

Not sure about Ding, but Wayne Griffiths (I think that's his name) definately works/worked with Marco. I think he was/is out in Hong Kong.

Yes, Wayne Griffiths is currently in Hong Kong

Postby lhpirnie

SnookerFan wrote:
mick745 wrote:I'm in the arena

Are you allowed to take drinks in?

Yes, drinks but no bags. The food is awful, but there's a couple of restaurants and a Tesco over th road.

Postby Dan-cat

Iranu wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:They used to do it a lot more in the 80s. Seems perfectly reasonable to me. If you've been frozen out, get the cue arm going, pots some balls, get warmed.

Nah, he’d won the previous frame and was 1-0. I thought it was interesting because it wasn’t like he hadn’t experienced the table conditions (which is when players usually do that).

I can see a case being made for doing this later on in matches, particularly if you’ve lost one or two bad frames or you’re just not cuing well. Clear up the remaining balls with no pressure on to try and loosen your cue arm.

Let’s say you’re 5-4 down in a bo19. You lose two frames with some bad misses and you’ve lost confidence in your cuing. Why not pot the remaining balls in each of those two frames to try and get the confidence back, so you can get a couple of frames before the MSI? Rather than waiting for the interval to change things.

Ok thats a bit clearer, and more unusual. Yeah, could be a bit of mind games too...'Why's he bothering to do that?'

Postby Dan-cat

lhpirnie wrote:Hamilton is horrible to watch. It's painful and it's awful. It's all about slowing things down to put his opponent off. I know he's got problems but it's torture.

I dunno if he's trying to put opponents off, I think that's just his style. But yeah... it's not pretty