Post a reply

Re: Coral World Grand Prix Quarter Finals!!!!!

Postby Johnny Bravo

Prop wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:
Prop wrote:So you’re saying a great player can be a great player, even a multiple world champion, without having to prove it with a massive century record, yes?

No, I'm not. I was only giving Davis a pass cause his stats are worse due to the conditions.
No massive century record means you're not an ATG.
Top 10 players of all time: ROS, Hendry, Higgins, Trump, Robbo, Selbo, Ding, Willo, Smurf, Davis.

Interesting list there, JB. Is that objectively in order of greatness? Or are you copy and pasting the all time century list in its place in order to mangle your square peg of an argument into the round hole of reality? If you did that by accident, no worries. If you’re genuinely rating a snooker player by the sole metric of century breaks... I think you should stick to pool.

I'm not only rating them based on centuries, but scoring power is the main asset a top player should possess. Look at Hendry for example. His safety and tactical game were average at best, yet he destroyed his opposition due to scoring power.
Plus that list is not in any particular order. And it also isn't an ordered list of the top century makers either.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Johnny is a bloody good poster. He is on here whenever Ronnie plays and states his opinion honestly. He takes it on the chin - whether the result is good or bad.

Don't always agree with him but - like Andre and Iranu - a Ronnie fan who sticks by his man through thick and thin. Doesn't skulk in the shadows when things aren't going well unlike some.

Top poster :hatoff:
Last edited by Badsnookerplayer on 06 Feb 2020, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Prop

Boys, we’ve got it all wrong. Trump, Willo, Robbo, Murphy, Selby and Ding are better players now than Steve Davis ever was. I’m shocked. Shocked.

Postby Andre147

Yes having a bad season means nothing come Sheffield.

Like TR says, these last few years it's been more of a mental barrier for him than anything else.

Postby Prop

Johnny Bravo wrote:
Prop wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:
Prop wrote:So you’re saying a great player can be a great player, even a multiple world champion, without having to prove it with a massive century record, yes?

No, I'm not. I was only giving Davis a pass cause his stats are worse due to the conditions.
No massive century record means you're not an ATG.
Top 10 players of all time: ROS, Hendry, Higgins, Trump, Robbo, Selbo, Ding, Willo, Smurf, Davis.

Interesting list there, JB. Is that objectively in order of greatness? Or are you copy and pasting the all time century list in its place in order to mangle your square peg of an argument into the round hole of reality? If you did that by accident, no worries. If you’re genuinely rating a snooker player by the sole metric of century breaks... I think you should stick to pool.

I'm not only rating them based on centuries, but scoring power is the main asset a top player should possess. Look at Hendry for example. His safety and tactical game were average at best, yet he destroyed his opposition due to scoring power.
Plus that list is not in any particular order. And it also isn't an ordered list of the top century makers either.

Johnny, I’ll agree that those players have made lots of tons. But not that it’s the only thing that matters.

Postby TheRocket

Prop wrote:Boys, we’ve got it all wrong. Trump, Willo, Robbo, Murphy, Selby and Ding are better players now than Steve Davis ever was. I’m shocked. Shocked.

I think few of those players you mention can actually play the game to a higher level than Steve Davis did. They are not greater than the six time World Champ Steve Davis obviously. Due to the Nuggets achievements.

But they are for sure much better than the opposition Davis faced in the 80's and Davis would be the first one to admit.

Postby Prop

TheRocket wrote:
Prop wrote:Boys, we’ve got it all wrong. Trump, Willo, Robbo, Murphy, Selby and Ding are better players now than Steve Davis ever was. I’m shocked. Shocked.

I think few of those players you mention can actually play the game to a higher level than Steve Davis did. They are not greater than the six time World Champ Steve Davis obviously. Due to the Nuggets achievements.

But they are for sure much better than the opposition Davis faced in the 80's and Davis would be the first one to admit.

Fair point. But going back to where this started - to say Dott is a crap player “because he’s only made XYZ centuries” is ridiculously short-sighted.

Postby TheRocket

Prop wrote:
TheRocket wrote:

Fair point. But going back to where this started - to say Dott is a crap player “because he’s only made XYZ centuries” is ridiculously short-sighted.

Yeah. Agree on that one.

Johnny is right when he says that scoring power is the most important part in Snooker. But that doesnt mean the weaker scorers are all crap. They might not win as much but they can still have success. And Dott obviously won the big one in 2006.

Postby Prop

Badsnookerplayer wrote:Johnny is a bloody good poster. He is on here whenever Ronnie plays and states his opinion honestly. He takes it on the chin - whether the result is good or bad.

Don't always agree with him but - like Andre and Iranu - a Ronnie fan who sticks by his man through thick and thin. Doesn't skulk in the shadows when things aren't going well unlike some.

I’m not sure if you’re talking about me there, and apologies if I’ve misinterpreted, but the reason I stepped back from the forum for a while is because I’d spoken to Pink Ball in a really disrespectful way and frankly didn’t think my presence would be any good for the forum. There was dust to settle. It settled. I’m well aware of how much of a d*ck I was and I’m happy to carry on posting as long as everyone is ok with that.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Prop wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:Johnny is a bloody good poster. He is on here whenever Ronnie plays and states his opinion honestly. He takes it on the chin - whether the result is good or bad.

I’m not sure if you’re talking about me there, and apologies if I’ve misinterpreted, but the reason I stepped back from the forum for a while is because I’d spoken to Pink Ball in a really disrespectful way and frankly didn’t think my presence would be any good for the forum. There was dust to settle. It settled. I’m well aware of how much of a d*ck I was and I’m happy to carry on posting as long as everyone is ok with that.

Absolutely not Prop!

:hatoff:

Postby Prop

masterdoctorgenius wrote:Ronnie's shot selection has been suspect all season.

Yeah, times in that match he was faced with a pretty simple safety and he really seemed to get to a brick wall in his head before playing a ‘nothing’ shot.

Postby Prop

Badsnookerplayer wrote:
Prop wrote:

Absolutely not Prop!

:hatoff:

Good :) I like you guys. All of you. And I like this place.

Postby Prop

Cloud Strife wrote:What could Anthony Hamilton have achieved throughout his career if only he'd had a roof over his head.

Instead of a threadbare thatch :(

Postby McManusFan

Did no one else see the end of the ITV coverage? They were joking about what walk on music they would have, Hendry made a joke about it being 'Heaven knows I'm miserable now', Foulds did his usual shtick trying not to get involved, and then Jill Douglas just said that hers would be "the lovely lady is back". Hendry and Foulds looked deeply uncomfortable, it was brilliant.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

McManusFan wrote:Did no one else see the end of the ITV coverage? They were joking about what walk on music they would have, Hendry made a joke about it being 'Heaven knows I'm miserable now', Foulds did his usual shtick trying not to get involved, and then Jill Douglas just said that hers would be "the lovely lady is back". Hendry and Foulds looked deeply uncomfortable, it was brilliant.

My wife started talking but I heard the Smiths reference.

Bah

Postby Pink Ball

Prop wrote:

Frankly I was a lot madder at how it was handled moderator-wise than I was at you.

At the end of the day, my sense of humour is coarse and is always liable to being misinterpreted. I was snake hissed off at the time, but I've to accept that's the danger of being close to the knuckle.

Postby Iranu

Badsnookerplayer wrote:
Iranu wrote:I’ll say it again: mental strength is a natural talent in itself.

You said that earler

Thanks BSP

Postby Iranu

Prop wrote:

FWIW Prop, I thought it was one of the funniest moments this season on the forum (just check the Memories thread!) and definitely not something that should make you question your presence here.

Many of us have flown off the handle or taken things too far in one way or another. Certainly I have. I’m sure I’ve said far worse at times than you did.

You’re a member of this community, therefore you’re a valued member of this community. In my opinion at least.

Postby ImSnookered

Pink Ball wrote:I don't think Sullivan has looked anywhere near sharp enough this year to win the World Championship.

Why do you continuously & deliberately spell O'Sullivan wrong? I'm genuinely curious.

Postby Pink Ball

ImSnookered wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:I don't think Sullivan has looked anywhere near sharp enough this year to win the World Championship.

Why do you continuously & deliberately spell O'Sullivan wrong? I'm genuinely curious.

Because I like to incite a reaction from morons.

Postby Andre147

ImSnookered wrote:

I love the way he says Sullivan.

Please continue Pinks.

Postby Cloud Strife

Pink Ball wrote:
ImSnookered wrote:

Because I like to incite a reaction from morons.

Ok.

I thought it was an Irish thing to say it that way. Apparently not.