Post a reply

Re: Coral World Grand Prix Last 16!!!!!

Postby Ck147

Alex0paul wrote:Most of the afternoon matches could go either way tbh. Hoping Trump and Donaldson both win though

I think 2 of the 4 afternoon matches have clear favourites, but as they are bo7 could possibly go the other way. Expect Trump and Robbo to get through fairly easily, Higgins might have bit of a fight on his hands, and Perry. Ronnie v Dott at 7 which should be good, only one I'll probably watch as busy in the afternoon :(

Postby Dan-cat

SnookerFan wrote:There's a bit about Mark Williams on page 51 of The Metro. He's had gout, but that hasn't stopped him enjoying a Budweiser and a kebab.

Rather than adjust his diet, just take the medication forever. The modern way.

Postby McManusFan

Dan-cat wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:There's a bit about Mark Williams on page 51 of The Metro. He's had gout, but that hasn't stopped him enjoying a Budweiser and a kebab.

I don't really see the problem. If the medication is available, why shouldn't you take it?

Postby HappyCamper

McManusFan wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:

I don't really see the problem. If the medication is available, why shouldn't you take it?

In my day could all be fixed with a good bloodletting.

Postby chengdufan

I enjoy watching the shoot out, it's good fun.
And there's nothing wrong with it being a ranking event (bear with me). The problem is the ranking point system, which needs a massive rethink.

Rankings should be based on a combination of frames won, ranking of opponent, tournament round, and recency.

Postby chengdufan

Just as an example, in the current system, beating Judd 4-0 last week in the first round, then losing to Ronnie 4-3 in the next, would get you the same ranking points as beating Andy Lee 4-3 in the first round two years ago, and losing 4-0 to Kishan H Hirani in the second round.

Postby HappyCamper

chengdufan wrote:I enjoy watching the shoot out, it's good fun.
And there's nothing wrong with it being a ranking event (bear with me). The problem is the ranking point system, which needs a massive rethink.

Rankings should be based on a combination of frames won, ranking of opponent, tournament round, and recency.

Correct. Could basically be done with an Elo derived system.

Postby SnookerFan

chengdufan wrote:I enjoy watching the shoot out, it's good fun.

No, it just shouldn't be a ranking event.

Postby SnookerFan

chengdufan wrote:Just as an example, in the current system, beating Judd 4-0 last week in the first round, then losing to Ronnie 4-3 in the next, would get you the same ranking points as beating Andy Lee 4-3 in the first round two years ago, and losing 4-0 to Kishan H Hirani in the second round.

Isn't that more an issue of the standard of person that you beat, rather than of the amount of frames won?

Postby SnookerFan

D4P wrote:
TheRocket wrote:Gilbert is a bottler. He would even choke in a Shootout final.

To be fair, it's hard to feel like you have a chance to win when your opponent is only 1 frame away from victory...

rofl rofl rofl