Post a reply

Re: Dafabet Masters Q Finals: Kyren Wilson v Stuart Bingham

Postby D4P

SnookerFan wrote:
Vallomas wrote:Can you imagine Bingham as a multiple major tournament winner?

Totally deserved the win tonight, of course, he was brilliant after 1-4.

He's not as rubbish as people try to pretend he is.

By Snooker Island standards, he's tied for 10th best player ever.

Postby SnookerFan

D4P wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

What are the Snooker Island standards?

Postby Iranu

Pink Ball wrote:
The Jester from Leicester wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:
The Jester from Leicester wrote:Its official, this is the worst Masters that I've watched. How is this supposed to be the best snooker has to offer?

It's like this, Jester: it isn't.

I think you might have been right about this tournament. I'd rather have fewer players and a longer format if it means avoiding another debacle like this one.

We had a Masters like this back in 2011 as well. There have been others. Of course you'll get editions of tournaments that aren't great, that's true even of the World Championship. But editions like this make a total farce of the idea that this is ultra-elite. It's a nonsense.

Making this tournament the top 8 and a longer format would only have made it lower quality and more interminable.

Look at how rubbish most of the top 8 have played. Now think about watching that rubbish for double the number of frames.

Hard pass from me.

Postby Holden Chinaski

This year the Masters sucks, but normally I think it's brilliant. A lot of my all time favourite snooker matches have been at The Masters. Some great finals as well.

And to say it's not an elite tournament is bull. Just look at the list of people who have won it more than once: Alex Higgins, Steve Davis, Hendry, Ronnie, John Higgins, Hunter, Selby, MJW... All elite players.

Postby Wildey

Holden Chinaski wrote:This year the Masters sucks, but normally I think it's brilliant. A lot of my all time favourite snooker matches have been at The Masters. Some great finals as well.

And to say it's not an elite tournament is bull. Just look at the list of people who have won it more than once: Alex Higgins, Steve Davis, Hendry, Ronnie, John Higgins, Hunter, Selby, MJW... All elite players.

Whats wrong with it this year?

Postby Pink Ball

Holden Chinaski wrote:This year the Masters sucks, but normally I think it's brilliant. A lot of my all time favourite snooker matches have been at The Masters. Some great finals as well.

You could say that for any tournament. Generally only fine players win any tournament more than once.

Postby Pink Ball

Wildey wrote:

It’s been rubbish.

Postby Pink Ball

Iranu wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:
The Jester from Leicester wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:
The Jester from Leicester wrote:Its official, this is the worst Masters that I've watched. How is this supposed to be the best snooker has to offer?

It's like this, Jester: it isn't.

I think you might have been right about this tournament. I'd rather have fewer players and a longer format if it means avoiding another debacle like this one.

We had a Masters like this back in 2011 as well. There have been others. Of course you'll get editions of tournaments that aren't great, that's true even of the World Championship. But editions like this make a total farce of the idea that this is ultra-elite. It's a nonsense.

Making this tournament the top 8 and a longer format would only have made it lower quality and more interminable.

Look at how rubbish most of the top 8 have played. Now think about watching that rubbish for double the number of frames.

Hard pass from me.

Or maybe players like Selby, Robertson, Ding, Trump are capable of turning it on for a second session.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Pink Ball wrote:

You could say that for any tournament. Generally only fine players win any tournament more than once.

Yes but even the ones who only won it once: Judd, Mark Allen, Murphy, Robbo, Ding, McManus, Reardon,.. Not exactly numpties.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Wildey wrote:

Matches where the standard is very poor. Players struggling and missing balls that even I would pot 9 times out of 10...

Postby Iranu

Holden Chinaski wrote:
Wildey wrote:

Matches where the standard is very poor. Players struggling and missing balls that even I would pot 9 times out of 10...

Not just that but most of them haven’t been close.

Postby Iranu

Pink Ball wrote:
Iranu wrote:Making this tournament the top 8 and a longer format would only have made it lower quality and more interminable.

Hard pass from me.

Or maybe players like Selby, Robertson, Ding, Trump are capable of turning it on for a second session.

Of course they are. That doesn’t mean they would have.

They weren’t just not great this week, they were abject.

Top players get beaten in the Worlds too (was it 8 knocked out in the first round in 2012?) so two sessions doesn’t guarantee anything.

I’d actually quite like multi session matches here. But no way in hell is this week the advertisement for that.

Postby Wildey

Holden Chinaski wrote:
Wildey wrote:

That makes it more exciting brilliant play is one dimensional.

ive never subscribed to standard of play is that important i find perfection boring i really do.

Postby Wildey

You talk about the likes of Alex Higgins and im a great Higgins fan hes the reason im on here today and a Snooker Fan but his standard of play was nowhere near what we've seen this week.

Postby The Jester from Leicester

Wildey wrote:

It's been crap. People say that 2011 was bad, but this tournament has made that year look top quality.

Postby Wildey

Holden Chinaski wrote:Standard of play is not everything, but the matches aren't close either. So we have boring one sided matches played at a low standard. That's not good snooker for me.

Now that i agree with.

Postby D4P

SnookerFan wrote:
D4P wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

The standard is "Number of World Snooker Championships won". Bingham is tied for 10th on the list, and is therefore tied for the 10th best player ever.

Postby SnookerFan

D4P wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
D4P wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

The standard is "Number of World Snooker Championships won". Bingham is tied for 10th on the list, and is therefore tied for the 10th best player ever.

If you say so.

Postby HappyCamper

D4P wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
D4P wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

think that's just one poster who says that. most of the rest of us a sensible enough to realise that bingham was not better than jimmy white (say).

Postby Iranu

Wildey wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:Standard of play is not everything, but the matches aren't close either. So we have boring one sided matches played at a low standard. That's not good snooker for me.

Now that i agree with.

I think this is what most people have been complaining about more than anything. Last night wasn’t a great standard either but it became a better match as it went on because of the comeback.