Post a reply

Who do you want to win each match at The Masters?

Postby SnookerFan

Bored at work, so here is the grand tradition of posting the who you want to win each match at The Masters thread. As every time, this is solely who you want to win, and has no bearing on any prediction contests. You are allowed to want somebody to win even if you predict they'll lose.

I'll go first. The ones in bold are the ones I want to win. Reasons given.

Judd Trump v Shaun Murphy - Tough one this one. Bit of a Battle Of The Bellends. Not a huge fan of the personalities of either player, but both are great players. If I have to pick one I pick Judd. Just because he's finally living up to the promise he should've been living up to years ago. Part of the reason he got on my nerves is that he seemed more interested in wasting his talent, but he seems more committed now. But I ain't that bothered, if Murphy wins I at least like watching him play, even if I don't think much of him as a person.

Ding Junhui v Joe Perry - Just prefer Ding as a player. Want him to carry on his winning ways since the UK. No disrespect to Joe Perry, but an in-form Ding adds more to the tournament than Perry does. Nice guy though Perry is.

Mark Selby v Ali Carter - Probably the match I am least looking forward to this week. I like Selby as a person, and respect his playing style, but will concede that his matches do sometimes seem like they go on forever. Selby is the sort of person that I decide on whether I want him to win or not based on who he is playing. And Ali Carter is just well, somebody I don't care about.

John Higgins v Barry Hawkins - Consequently, this is amongst the matches I am looking forward to the most. Would be happy if either won, so haven't bolded one. I know a lot of people dislike Hawkins, and he isn't going to win The Masters, but I just like him. I like watching him play too. If we're honest, John Higgins is a legend, but The Masters isn't an event he always does well in. And his form, Crucible aside, isn't always great these days. Can't decide which one I like the most. Don't think either will win the event. Think it will be fairly evenly match, and will be worth watching because of it. Though, I guess Higgins vs Selby in the next rounds is slightly more interesting that Selby vs Hawkins.

Neil Robertson v Stephen Maguire Probably Robbo. Just prefer him to Mags. Though, if Mags plays like he did in the UK Semi-Final, I'd be happy to watch him. But I just prefer Robertson as a bloke.

Mark Allen v David Gilbert - The match I am possibly the least torn on. I want Gilbert to win. Mark Allen is a div.

Kyren Wilson v Jack Lisowski Bit perverse this. I want Lisowski to win. Despite preferring Kyren as a person. Kyren is a nice guy, and I've always found Lisowski a bit divvy. But a bit like Judd, part of the problem I have with Lisowski is that he doesn't win as much as his talent says he should. Also, he's more attacking than Kyren. Lisowski would provide more excitement later in the tournament than Kyren would. Gentleman though Kyren is.

Mark Williams v Stuart Bingham - I like and respect Bingham, and feel he gets a lot less credit than he should. Saying that, Mark Williams is a legend, so I want him to win. Could be a good match though.
Last edited by SnookerFan on 08 Jan 2020, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Who do you want to win each match at The Masters?

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:Kyren is as dull as dishwater to watch, and Jackie D is... Well dreamy

Curse you. You caught me mid-edit. rofl

My edit was just me adding a line at the end of my Higgins vs Hawkins comments that maybe a Higgins vs Selby quarter-final would be a bit more marquee than Hawkins vs Selby.

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:Kyren is as dull as dishwater to watch, and Jackie D is... Well dreamy

Kyren is a nice guy, and I'm always happy when I see him have success. But I kind of don't always like watching him play. A bit of a paradox, I like him but not enough to continually support him.

A bit like Selby. I'll support him over players I don't like, but there are also several players I'd support over him.

What would I do if Kyren played Selby? rofl

Postby Ash147

Judd Trump v Shaun Murphy
Ding Junhui v Joe Perry
Mark Selby v Ali Carter
John Higgins v Barry Hawkins
Neil Robertson v Stephen Maguire
Mark Allen v David Gilbert
Kyren Wilson v Jack Lisowski
Mark Williams v Stuart Bingham

Postby SnookerFan

Ash147 wrote:Judd Trump v Shaun Murphy
Ding Junhui v Joe Perry
Mark Selby v Ali Carter

:hatoff:

Good reasons.

Postby rekoons

Does the fact that Carter plays Selby have anything to do with Ronnie skipping the Masters?
Or did the draw happened after he pulled out of it?

(Also funny most of us say 'Ronnie' or 'Judd' or 'Ding', and most other players are called by their surames more often)

Postby Andre147

rekoons wrote:Does the fact that Carter plays Selby have anything to do with Ronnie skipping the Masters?

(Also funny most of us say 'Ronnie' or 'Judd' or 'Ding', and most other players are called by their surames more often)

I dont know.. calling other players by first name just doesnt sound right.

Plus you have lots of Mark's on the Tour for instance. MJW, Davis, Selby.

Postby HappyCamper

rekoons wrote:Does the fact that Carter plays Selby have anything to do with Ronnie skipping the Masters?

Ding is his surname.

I think it's likely just that O'Sullivan and Trump are (probably) the most popular players here, and surnames feel less affectionate and more formal.

Postby SnookerFan

Ronnie was announced as having pulled out on the same day that the draw was made. (The day of the UK Championship final.)

If the draw was anything to do with Ronnie's decision, he'd have had to seen the draw, pulled out and got the BBC to announce it pretty much immediately.

Seems unlikely.

Postby Alex0paul

Ding Junhui v Joe Perry
Mark Selby v Ali Carter

Postby D4P

If I'm not mistaken, Ronnie would have been the #3 seed and on the other side of the draw from Selby. He would have had a relatively easy path to the final...

Postby Pink Ball

I make a point of calling them all by their second name.

Postby SnookerFan

Pink Ball wrote:

Can I call you Ball?

Postby Ash147

Pink Ball wrote:

You can't even do that right, you refer to Ronnie as 'Sullivan'.

Postby rekoons

Pink Ball wrote:

So you don’t particularly like or prefer any player then?

Postby Pink Ball

rekoons wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:

So you don’t particularly like or prefer any player then?

My favourite player is Ding, and I even refer to him by his surname.

Postby Ck147

Ding Junhui v Joe Perry
Mark Selby v Ali Carter

Postby Pink Ball

Ash147 wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:

At least I'm right in calling you runt.

Postby Ash147

Pink Ball wrote:
Ash147 wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:

It must be boring being the only sober person in Ireland.

Postby Johnny Bravo

Ash147 wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:
Ash147 wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:

It must be boring being the only sober person in Ireland.

pmsl

Postby McManusFan

Judd Trump v Shaun Murphy This is a bit like Sophie's choice, I guess if I have to choose I'd pick reluctantly pick Shaun to survive but ideally they'd both loose and we'd get a wildcard.

Ding Junhui v Joe Perry - Come on Ding!

Mark Selby v Ali Carter - Hopefully Selby will go back to being a regular force to be reckoned with.

John Higgins v Barry Hawkins - Another tough one, very much like both players but I'm a massive Higgins fan so he edges it.

Mark Allen v David Gilbert - Gilbert seems like a good lad. Can't wait for him to get his first win.

I'm not particularly invested in the other three, just hoping for some good matches.

Postby TheSaviour

Hit me.

Joe Pelly.

Stualt Bingham.

Joe Pelly.

Hit me.

Dott the Pot.

Pot the Lot Dott. Dott. Dott. Dott.

GRAEME!!!

Joe Pelly.

DG

Stualt Bingham.

Hit me.

rofl rofl rofl

But it will be good. Cause no any real clowns are playing. That solely makes the tournament the greatest there just is! Did someone mentioned Rod Lawler? Or Thecp Un-Nooh? Ronnie AIEN´T playing this time, as well isn´t an "in-form" Anthony McGill neither… At least Anthony´s always a very human type of a PLAYER, and he´s truly a great to watch as he tends to not to allow the decisive breaks to end. Perhaps next year, son. We do cars man, cars man.

Neirhet not playing either.

Come on Mark Selby now! Lose some.... And get back into that epic Masters-form he used to have a years, years ago, against the Rocket!