Post a reply

Rokit World Seniors Championship !!

Postby Wildey

Image Image Image
Wednesday 19th - Saturday 22nd Of August at the Crucible Theatre, Sheffield

In this tournament there is 1 player Younger than the Newly crowned World Champion Ronnie O'Sullivan.

Wayne Cooper a late replacement for Tony Drago is 42 but thankfully for all concerned Proffesionals inside the top 64 in the Rankings cant play in the Seniors.

Jimmy White is top seed and he will be joined by Stephen Hendry, Ken Doherty and Legends from a baygone age Tony Knowles and Former World Champions Dennis Taylor and Joe Johnson..

Who will win?

DRAW

ORDER OF PLAY

Re: Rokit World Seniors Championship !!

Postby Wildey

Johnny Bravo wrote:Imagine if ROS somehow decided to enter, all the rest would instantly retire. <laugh>

Doh he can't enter and most have retired anyway. It called playing for fun.

Postby PLtheRef

I think it's Bond or White for me.

From that bottom half of the draw Doherty does start favourite, but don't be surprised if Michael Judge or Darren Morgan came through again

Postby SnookerFan

I wonder what the BBC coverage will be like.

I remember last year, FreeSports made a big deal out of Jimmy White being finally winning a Crucible final. And Michaela was calling it the 'third Crucible final she'd refereed'. All a bit dopey.

Postby PLtheRef

SnookerFan wrote:I wonder what the BBC coverage will be like.

I remember last year, FreeSports made a big deal out of Jimmy White being finally winning a Crucible final. And Michaela was calling it the 'third Crucible final she'd refereed'. All a bit dopey.

I think its just the Red Button. - The schedule is for three hours in the afternoon and three in the evening. I hope they don't cut the coverage at the end of the scheduled time. - The matches this year are longer in the early rounds. Best of 7 Frames rather than Best of 5

Postby SnookerFan

PLtheRef wrote:

I think its just the Red Button. - The schedule is for three hours in the afternoon and three in the evening. I hope they don't cut the coverage at the end of the scheduled time. - The matches this year are longer in the early rounds. Best of 7 Frames rather than Best of 5

I suspect that's an approximation, and that they'll extend coverage if it overruns. It's only the Red Button.

You never know with the BBC though.

Postby Wildey

PLtheRef wrote:

I Think the longer the match the better for the likes of Hendry who is retired by the time he gets to grip with conditions hes 2-0 down

Postby Johnny Bravo

Wildey wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:Imagine if ROS somehow decided to enter, all the rest would instantly retire. <laugh>

Doh he can't enter and most have retired anyway. It called playing for fun.

Why can't he enter, he's a senior, ain't he ?!

Postby SnookerFan

What are the rules now?

Ken and Jimmy have entered, and they're still on the main tour. Is it because Ronnie is a top-16 player still? Or because Ken and Jimmy are both only on the tour because Barry keeps letting them be?

Postby chengdufan

SnookerFan wrote:What are the rules now?

Ken and Jimmy have entered, and they're still on the main tour. Is it because Ronnie is a top-16 player still? Or because Ken and Jimmy are both only on the tour because Barry keeps letting them be?

You're not allowed to enter if you're ranked in the top 64

Postby SnookerFan

chengdufan wrote:

<ok>

Postby Johnny Bravo

chengdufan wrote:

That's not fair.
Hey, Ronnie was ranked outside the top 64 on the one year list for a short period of time, so during that spell he was eligible. <laugh>

Postby gallantrabbit

So delighted that Gary Filtness is finally playing at the Crucible. When I was doing the (early) rounds of pro-ams in the late 80s early 90s, Filtness was a serial winner. I think we all thought he was a potential world champion in the same way as Ronnie, Peter Ebdon and Ken Doherty. What a player!! I'd get knocked out then sit around watching players like Gary. I couldn't believe it when he didn't make it on the pro tour but apparently he got the yips and had to give up...
He's now a terrific WST coach and will take a bow in the seniors. Three times London amateur champion, which back in those days was no mean feat.
Good luck Gary Filtness!!

Postby Wildey

Players inside the top 64 in the World Ranking cant play

Postby Wildey

Johnny Bravo wrote:
chengdufan wrote:

That's not fair.
Hey, Ronnie was ranked outside the top 64 on the one year list for a short period of time, so during that spell he was eligible. <laugh>

No thats not the World Rankings remember Ronnie said he would have to cut both his arms off to fall outside the top 50.

Postby SnookerFan

gallantrabbit wrote:So delighted that Gary Filtness is finally playing at the Crucible. When I was doing the (early) rounds of pro-ams in the late 80s early 90s, Filtness was a serial winner. I think we all thought he was a potential world champion in the same way as Ronnie, Peter Ebdon and Ken Doherty. What a player!! I'd get knocked out then sit around watching players like Gary. I couldn't believe it when he didn't make it on the pro tour but apparently he got the yips and had to give up...
He's now a terrific WST coach and will take a bow in the seniors. Three times London amateur champion, which back in those days was no mean feat.
Good luck Gary Filtness!!

Nice story.

Postby mantorok

It was a bit cringeworthy wasn't it? Acting like it was somehow this massive accomplishment in his career.

Postby gallantrabbit

We ll know it's a bit showbizzy. After all, it's a short format and can't be taken too seriously, but all these players deserve their tv appearances and why not make some cash?

Postby SnookerFan

gallantrabbit wrote:We ll know it's a bit showbizzy. After all, it's a short format and can't be taken too seriously, but all these players deserve their tv appearances and why not make some cash?

I think the issue is that they do take it too seriously.

Snooker Legends used to be about going for a night out, having a laugh and a beer. The player would banter with the audience and go for mad-impossible shots that they wouldn't do in an actual match. It was a laugh. I went to a few myself, and enjoyed them.

Now it's televised, and the prize money is bigger, that sense of fun seems to have stopped. I'm not begrudging the players their pay days, but watching it nowadays seems dry compared to the nights out they used to be like.

And the whole pretending the tournament is comparable to winning the actual World Championship is just absurd. People on here know I'd rarely criticise Michaela, but she must've felt stupid saying she was about to referee her 'third Crucible final'. The final last year, all the players and pundits were in tuxedos, and talked pre-match about how it could be Jimmy's time to 'win a world title at The Crucible'. The BBC website even ran an article to say "he'd finally done it". If I was him, I'd be well embarrassed by that. Nothing against Jimmy, but winning the Snooker Seniors didn't make up for those 6 losses in the final. There's no real point pretending that it does. I get that they want to market the tournament, but come on.