Post a reply

Re: Rokit World Seniors Championship !!

Postby Iranu

badtemperedcyril wrote:
Iranu wrote:
badtemperedcyril wrote:The fact that Jimmy never won the World Championship should not detract from him standing among the greats. He must be inside the all-time Top 10, albeit with a couple of world titles maybe a couple of places higher.

He was unfortunate insofar he came up against Davis in a final, Hendry in four and a virtually unplayable Parrott in 91. With the greatest respect to Ronnie (or rather his opponents), his world titles came against Higgins (ok - fair enough that was tough!), Dott, Carter (twice), Hawkins and Wilson. It's just bad luck for Jimmy that he was around at the wrong time.

Eh, Doherty and Ebdon beat Hendry, Dennis and Johnson beat Davis. Jimmy should have won at least two of his finals. I think bad luck is an excuse, to be honest.

I wasn't talking about Doherty or Ebdon - the example I gave was Ronnie's final opponents.

I know. But you said Jimmy was unfortunate to come up against Davis and Hendry. My point was they weren’t exactly unbeatable and “lesser” players beat them. Particularly considering Jimmy should have won twice against Hendry. He also should have performed a lot better at the Crucible in the 80s, you’d have to say.

Postby badtemperedcyril

Iranu wrote:
badtemperedcyril wrote:
Iranu wrote:
badtemperedcyril wrote:The fact that Jimmy never won the World Championship should not detract from him standing among the greats. He must be inside the all-time Top 10, albeit with a couple of world titles maybe a couple of places higher.

He was unfortunate insofar he came up against Davis in a final, Hendry in four and a virtually unplayable Parrott in 91. With the greatest respect to Ronnie (or rather his opponents), his world titles came against Higgins (ok - fair enough that was tough!), Dott, Carter (twice), Hawkins and Wilson. It's just bad luck for Jimmy that he was around at the wrong time.

Eh, Doherty and Ebdon beat Hendry, Dennis and Johnson beat Davis. Jimmy should have won at least two of his finals. I think bad luck is an excuse, to be honest.

I wasn't talking about Doherty or Ebdon - the example I gave was Ronnie's final opponents.

I know. But you said Jimmy was unfortunate to come up against Davis and Hendry. My point was they weren’t exactly unbeatable and “lesser” players beat them. Particularly considering Jimmy should have won twice against Hendry. He also should have performed a lot better at the Crucible in the 80s, you’d have to say.

Yes - don't get me wrong I'm not making excuses for him. I just feel that people only remember him as being a serial loser when that isn't the case. He won 30-odd tournaments in his career. He also only really "bottled" it once at the Crucible - the black in the deciding frame in 94 and that was the most severe pressure you could possibly be under. As for the 80's - he just wasn't dedicated enough then - when Davis was practicing 7 hours a day, Jimmy was out doing drink and drugs. Shame really.

Postby TheRocket

Was Jimmy unlucky to play in the Davis/Hendry era? Probably. But there is no excuse for not winning after a 14:8 lead or missing a black off the spot in 1994. Like Iranu said. Dennis Taylor and Joe Johnson (much weaker players than Jimmy) beat Steve Davis in the final. And Doherty and Ebdon who beat Hendry arent greater players than Jimmy either.

Matthew Stevens another prime example. Was he unlucky to play in the (probably) toughest era ever? Yes. But no excuse for bottling a 13:7 lead against Williams in the final after he had completely dominated the match.

Postby Dan-cat

SnookerFan wrote:
Acé wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
Acé wrote:All the eurosport pundits are world champions lol

Ronnie - World snooker champion
Jimmy - World seniors champion
Reanne - Women's world champion

their revenue should be sky high next season

Does Neal Foulds count as a pundit? He's in the studio sometimes.

Would classify him as more of a commentator personally

Yeah, you're probably right.

He's on the panel on ITV. I'd say he's one of those rare beasts that can and does do both very well.

I'd go as far as to say that Fouldsy is a snooker colossus

Postby Wildey

By the 90s Jimmy was in the position Ding is today he felt pressure to win it and he couldn't live up to it

Jimmy went 5 years Watching Taylor, Johnson twice, Griffiths and Parrott reaching finals and the pressure was building on him under that pressure Jimmy did unbelievable to reach 5 finals on the spin.

Postby chengdufan

One thing about Jimmy that's often forgotten is that he starred in one of the best films of all time alongside Stephen Chow, Legend of the Dragon.

Postby SnookerEd25

KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:That golf was on BBC2 at 11.45. There were probably more watching that than it on the red button. They could easily have covered snooker to the end.

And the end was, what, thirty - thirty-five minutes away?

W*nkers.

Postby SnookerFan

Luckily, I have the I-Player on my TV, so could've watched it anyway.

(Though, I ended up watching the deciding frame online as I had something else on my TV at 10pm)

But what about people who don't have that? Surely, they could've delayed highlights by half an hour? I know golf fans pay their licence just the same as anybody else, so will want their needs catered too as well. But surely delaying something non-live by half an hour isn't the biggest deal. Maybe if somebody was Sky Plussing it or something it would've been disruptive.

Like I say, I could've still watched it on my TV should I have wanted to, so didn't really matter to me.

Postby SnookerEd25

hendry_fan wrote:Did,nt watch the Final,but have just seen the scores.

Jimmy was 4-0 down but comes back to win 5-4!,that really is amazing. :clap: :dizzy: :dizzy: :bowdown:

It,s a very rare feat that a player comes back from 0-4 to end up winning 5-4.

Without lookin up,2 examples spring to mind.

I can recall where Hendry came back from being 0-4 down,to end up beating Campbell 5-4.

And i think Ronnie once came back from 0-4 down,to end up beating Higginson 5-4,at the German Masters,he actually ended up winning that tournament which sparked him back to life.

Many congrats to the Whirlwind!. :hatoff: <ok>

Just looking at the H2H of Alex Higgins & Cliff Thorburn that Wildey posted (on the Ray Reardon thread) I noticed another instance of a 5-4 from 0-4 down comeback :

1982 Irish Masters - Professional Invitational

Quarter-final
(Northern Ireland) Alex Higgins 5(9)4 Cliff Thorburn (Canada)
Frame scores
28-99; 32-94; 20-91; 49-67(52); 92-19; 90(52)-33; 87-43; 94(73)-28; 63-55

Postby Andre147

One of Higgins' big wins against Trump was also coming back from 4 nil down, at the World Open in China.

Postby Wildey

SnookerEd25 wrote:
hendry_fan wrote:Did,nt watch the Final,but have just seen the scores.

Jimmy was 4-0 down but comes back to win 5-4!,that really is amazing. :clap: :dizzy: :dizzy: :bowdown:

It,s a very rare feat that a player comes back from 0-4 to end up winning 5-4.

Without lookin up,2 examples spring to mind.

I can recall where Hendry came back from being 0-4 down,to end up beating Campbell 5-4.

And i think Ronnie once came back from 0-4 down,to end up beating Higginson 5-4,at the German Masters,he actually ended up winning that tournament which sparked him back to life.

Many congrats to the Whirlwind!. :hatoff: <ok>

Just looking at the H2H of Alex Higgins & Cliff Thorburn that Wildey posted (on the Ray Reardon thread) I noticed another instance of a 5-4 from 0-4 down comeback :

1982 Irish Masters - Professional Invitational

Quarter-final
(Northern Ireland) Alex Higgins 5(9)4 Cliff Thorburn (Canada)
Frame scores
28-99; 32-94; 20-91; 49-67(52); 92-19; 90(52)-33; 87-43; 94(73)-28; 63-55

Not 4-0 but equivalent i remember once Gary Wilkinson beating Stephen Hendry 6-5 from 5-1 down the only time he beat Stephen in 18 matches the first 4 matches they had went to deciders Hendry won every one.

Postby SnookerEd25

I remember the 1991 British open final; Hendry bt. Wilkinson 9-8. At the time assumed it was a matter of time before Gary lifted a ranking title but it never happened for him (though he did win the World Matchplay, which was a prestigious invitational with a BO35 final)

Postby Wildey

SnookerEd25 wrote:I remember the 1991 British open final; Hendry bt. Wilkinson 9-8. At the time assumed it was a matter of time before Gary lifted a ranking title but it never happened for him (though he did win the World Matchplay, which was a prestigious invitational with a BO35 final)

it was 10-9 not 9-8

Postby Empire State Human

Thorburn also lost twice from 4-0 up in the space of 4 days in 1992 qualifying. 4-5 to Jason Wallace in the UK, 4-5 to Fergal O'Brien in the International Open.

Losing from winning positions dogged him even during the 70s, although it reached its zenith in the '94 WC match against Bond.

Postby SnookerEd25

Wildey wrote:
SnookerEd25 wrote:I remember the 1991 British open final; Hendry bt. Wilkinson 9-8. At the time assumed it was a matter of time before Gary lifted a ranking title but it never happened for him (though he did win the World Matchplay, which was a prestigious invitational with a BO35 final)

it was 10-9 not 9-8

I stand corrected!

Postby Acé

Wildey wrote:By the 90s Jimmy was in the position Ding is today he felt pressure to win it and he couldn't live up to it

Jimmy went 5 years Watching Taylor, Johnson twice, Griffiths and Parrott reaching finals and the pressure was building on him under that pressure Jimmy did unbelievable to reach 5 finals on the spin.

You're right in the last 5 years Ding has lost to the would be World Champion 4 out of 5 times

2020, Ronnie
2019, Judd
2017, Selby
2016, Selby

there's always an obstacle and even if he beats one of them like 2017 he's 90% gonna face another one of those guys

Ding needs an easy draw