Post a reply

Re: Dafabet Masters 1st Round: Judd Trump v Shaun Murphy

Postby Iranu

Dan-cat wrote:Admittedly excellent points you make Iranu. I like the idea of grouping tournaments, to make a sort of Major series, but it could be changed to include those other (better) tournaments you mention.

I'm confused now.

Right, Marilyn beckons... will have to think more on this

Think on it during - you'll last longer!

Postby Pink Ball

The Masters is seen as a major because it has survived. There is no other compelling reason for it to be a major.

The World Championship and UK Championship were by far the two biggest tournaments in I growing up. The Classic, the British Open were the next biggest, followed by the Grand Prix. Then the shitty gold cigarette box invitational.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

The Masters for me transcends other tournaments by dint of the fact that represents the gold standard of achievement within the sport.

Even to knock on the doors of this hallowed tournament, a player must have risen a minimum of 112 places through the rankings proving their worth against all-comers time and time again. Which other tournament demands so much?

The Masters is and will always be the second best tournament on the calendar.

Postby Ck147

Badsnookerplayer wrote:The Masters for me transcends other tournaments by dint of the fact that represents the gold standard of achievement within the sport.

Even to knock on the doors of this hallowed tournament, a player must have risen a minimum of 112 places through the rankings proving their worth against all-comers time and time again. Which other tournament demands so much?

Will the TC transcend it in time? will we be looking at a "4 crown" or "5 crown" badge for players, that makes the BBC be more inclusive with other broadcasters? What would be the fifth crown, CoC, a China event?

Postby Iranu

Ck147 wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:The Masters for me transcends other tournaments by dint of the fact that represents the gold standard of achievement within the sport.

Will the TC transcend it in time? will we be looking at a "4 crown" or "5 crown" badge for players, that makes the BBC be more inclusive with other broadcasters? What would be the fifth crown, CoC, a China event?

I think it will.

On ITV they were saying a lot of players already see the CoC as the 4th major.

Postby SnookerEd25

Iranu wrote:
SnookerEd25 wrote:A spokesperson for the BBC was unavailable for comment.

Well it was Doherty that said it so technically...

He has his ITV hat on this week though

#freelancer