Post a reply

The five table set up in Berlin. What's the point?

Postby SnookerFan

I've never understood this. Every year, I think it looks stupid.

The main TV table, which is usually where they put the bigger names or the best match, is furthest away from the crowd.

Are they just trying to cut costs by getting the tournament into five days rather than seven? We're constantly told that the German fans turn out in force for the tournament, so why not have two extra days if the customers are there?

This year in particular they were in Austria the week before. It's not like some of the tournaments where a player is in China on the Sunday and scheduled to play in the UK the next day.

Is it a TV rights thing? Even that seems a stretch, as they're all on Eurosport and Eurosport covers all the other week long tournaments. What's different about this one?

Anybody who has ever been to the Tempodrom have any thoughts? Am I missing something? I know it's a great venue to go to. But it looks a bit silly to go to.
Last edited by SnookerFan on 30 Jan 2020, edited 1 time in total.

Re: The five table set up in Berlin. What's the point?

Postby Iranu

The venue’s probably only available for 5 days because of other commitments.

The main table probably looks further away on camera than it actually is as well.

I do agree that it looks a bit unusual when you see the view of the full venue, but the Tempodrom seems to rise quite a bit higher than most venues so the view’s probably still decent.

At least all the tables are in the actual arena unlike, say, York.

Also the main table needs to be equidistant from all parts of the crowd otherwise it would be a bit unfair, so it wouldn’t really matter if the other tables weren’t there - the main one would still need to be in the centre.

Postby SnookerFan

Iranu wrote:The venue’s probably only available for 5 days because of other commitments.

The main table probably looks further away on camera than it actually is as well.

I do agree that it looks a bit unusual when you see the view of the full venue, but the Tempodrom seems to rise quite a bit higher than most venues so the view’s probably still decent.

At least all the tables are in the actual arena unlike, say, York.

Also the main table needs to be equidistant from all parts of the crowd otherwise it would be a bit unfair, so it wouldn’t really matter if the other tables weren’t there - the main one would still need to be in the centre.

Yeah, except the same thing happened in Austria this year too.

Maybe I shouldn't comment without actually going to the arena. I did have somebody online tell me that they should move The World Championship to somewhere in London to fit it into a bigger arena, and I told them they didn't have the right to that opinion until they'd actually been to The Crucible.

Same thing here, I guess. I'm watching it on TV saying it looks rubbish, and I'd want them to make changes to the tournament. A spectator who had attended The Tempodrom might have a different opinion.

Postby HappyCamper

A few of the players don't like it. Mark Allen in particular has complained about it before and even skipped the event to avoid it. He says there is an issue on the outside tables as most of the audience are looking past them to the show table in the middle.

Postby Iranu

SnookerFan wrote:Yeah, except the same thing happened in Austria this year too.

That’s true. I guess it’s easier to get a new venue to commit to 5 days than to 7. And considering the generally positive feedback with regard to the Tempodrom I don’t suppose they see any reason to change it.

Apparently Crawley stinks of snake hiss and they haven’t changed that!

Postby SnookerFan

Iranu wrote:That’s true. I guess it’s easier to get a new venue to commit to 5 days than to 7. And considering the generally positive feedback with regard to the Tempodrom I don’t suppose they see any reason to change it.

Apparently Crawley stinks of snake hiss and they haven’t changed that!

I have legitimately never smelled snake hiss at the K2.

And I've been there for the English Open and for Australian Open qualifiers.

Postby SnookerFan

David Grace likes it.

David Grace @daveg147
Home time, never nice to lose 5-0 but Sunny played very solid better in all departments. One of the best arenas I’ve played in sorry I couldn’t make it closer for the amazing German fans

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:Opinions are like onions, everyone has got one.

Share yours then. That is what a forum is for. <ok>

I love the templebum.

Never heard of that venue. What tournament does it host?

Postby HappyCamper

Do I love you?
Do I lust for you?
Am I a sinner because I do the two?
Can you let me know
Right now please,
The Berlin Tempodrom,

The Berlin Tempodrom, you gotta put me on,
The Berlin Tempodrom, I said you gotta put me on,

Postby lhpirnie

SnookerFan wrote:I've never understood this. Every year, I think it looks stupid.

The main TV table, which is usually where they put the bigger names or the best match, is furthest away from the crowd.

Are they just trying to cut costs by getting the tournament into five days rather than seven? We're constantly told that the German fans turn out in force for the tournament, so why not have two extra days if the customers are there?

This year in particular they were in Austria the week before. It's not like some of the tournaments where a player is in China on the Sunday and scheduled to play in the UK the next day.

Is it a TV rights thing? Even that seems a stretch, as their all on Eurosport and Eurosport covers all the other week long tournaments. What's different about this one?

Anybody who has ever been to the Tempodrom have any thoughts? Am I missing something? I know it's a great venue to go to. But it looks a bit silly to go to.

Actually I don't like the table set-up at all. You can be very close to one of the outside tables but the view of the main table is very poor. You get applause at strange times. The one-table rounds must be awful.

However, Berlin is a great city to visit, and the Tempodrom is easy to get to, unlike the out-of-town ice rink in Dornbirn.

Strangely, they played L32 and L16 rounds in two days in Dornbirn, but then took 3 days over quarters, semis and final. Whereas in Berlin they do the opposite: two days L32, then have the L16 and quarters all in the one day. They have 5 tables in Berlin, which are not always used - another problem if you're sitting next to it although you can move (it's not as 'sold out' as some claim).

A big problem both tournaments have is of course the 8pm start-time for the second semi-final, which killed Zhou Yuelong last week. This time it's likely to be Williams-Trump, who are much more experienced than Zhou, which could mean that the final is closer if Trump is tired by the midnight finish!
Last edited by lhpirnie on 30 Jan 2020, edited 1 time in total.

Postby SnookerEd25

SnookerFan wrote: I did have somebody online tell me that they should move The World Championship to somewhere in London to fit it into a bigger arena,

Yes. After all, it worked for the BDO Darts.

<doh>

Postby SnookerFan

SnookerEd25 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote: I did have somebody online tell me that they should move The World Championship to somewhere in London to fit it into a bigger arena,

Yes. After all, it worked for the BDO Darts.

<doh>

I didn't say it was somebody who knew what they were talking about.

Postby lhpirnie

Acé wrote:There should be more tournaments like this

Home Nations looks like a military organization with the tables next to each other one after another, bring some jazz to the snooker scene

Please - no jazz (or any music at all...).

One great thing about the Home Nations is that you can watch several tables at once, if you sit in the right place. In Berlin it's not so nice, as you are very distant from 3 of the 5 tables. It's very stylish, but everything's at a funny angle.

Postby Holden Chinaski

KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:
Acé wrote:There should be more tournaments like this

Home Nations looks like a military organization with the tables next to each other one after another, bring some jazz to the snooker scene.

rofl